The O's have the better pitching

wildcard

Pitching wins playoff games. Isn't that what we always hear?

Yea, yea, I know 3 Cy Young winners, Playoff experience, Yada, yada, Yada

Still the O's have the best pitching.

The O's lead the major in pitching since the All-Star game with a 2.88 ERA. Let me repeat that. A 2.88 ERA. The Tigers are 4.06 since the All-Star game.

September? Who is hot? You want September? O's - 2.67 ERA. Tigers - 3.79 ERA

How about starters?

Since the All- Star Game:

Tillman 2.33 ERA vs Scherzer 2.87 ERA

Gonzo 2.19 ERA vs Price 3.59 ERA

Chen 2.76 ERA vs Verlander 3.97 ERA

Norris 3.22 ERA vs Porcello 3.48 ERA

Bullpen (I would do since the All Star game but I don't know how)

For the year:

O's 3.10 ERA vs Tigers 4.29 ERA

Pitching wins and the O's have the pitching.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's have had the better pitching this year. Tigers rotation has the better career numbers. It's possible that either the O's are overachieving this year and/or the Tigers are underachieving. Our bullpen is better than theirs without question. So is our defense. We have the better record in a tougher division. I think you can make a great case that we are the better but as we found in 1997 that does not mean very much. If we are better, it's by a slimmer margin than 1997. Toss-up at best. Vegas says we are the underdog in Game 1 vs Scherzer.

I had a thought in my mind: "yes we have the better ERA, but Detroit has the guys who can get hot and completely shut you down on a given day." Now, I'm not so sure. The O's have 13 shutouts to Detroit's 8, and have allowed only one run 25 times, to Detroit's 19. It's amazing to think that we held opponents to one run or less 38 times!

By the way, we were shut out 11 times and held to one run 13 times; Detroit was shut out 10 times and held to one run 12 times.

We were 32-23 in one-run games, 14-6 in extra innings; the Tigers were 23-20 in one-run games, 6-6 in extra innings.

Overall, the odds favor us in a tight, low scoring game.

ERA is almost antiquated amongst the baseball intelligentsia though. Our ERA was without a doubt boosted by outstanding defense from Machado that is no longer there.

A high strikeout pitcher pitching 2 games is terrifying too.

FIP salesmen don't usually have a lot of luck around here.

ERA is almost antiquated amongst the baseball intelligentsia though. Our ERA was without a doubt boosted by outstanding defense from Machado that is no longer there.

Yet, we had our lowest ERA of any month this season in September, without Machado (2.67).

ERA is not antiquated. It just needs to be used properly.

For example, saying that a pitcher is lucky or bound to regress because he is grossly outpitching his FIP...........is not a guarantee.

The name of the game is run prevention. And all runs allowed (with perhaps the exception of the long ball) are NOT 'fielding independent.'

So unless the Orioles are drastically changing their defensive players out before the playoffs, it is not unreasonable to expect the good pitching to continue. Of course Detroit can swing it too though.

Archived