MLB.com's Position by Position Analysis

Yardball85

It's a fair point about Britton's experience but he's ignoring that Nathan has had struggles this year. I don't care what these "experts" say anyhow though. Most of them counted us out of the playoffs period.

How is it fair to point out Britton's experience?

Show me any proof that experienced closers do better in the postseason. If there is any evidence remove Mariano and run the numbers again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not laughable at all to suggest that Britton might not perform under the pressure of the playoffs. How did it work out for Jim Johnson? How many saves did he blow against the Yankees?

How did it work out for Koji Uehara last year for the Red Sox?

Postseason experience means diddly squat.

Show me any proof that experienced closers do better in the postseason. If there is any evidence remove Mariano and run the numbers again.

True enough. In any case, it's beyond laughable to pick a closer with a 4.81 ERA this year over a guy who has had a sub 2 ERA and saved 90% of his games. And furthermore, I looked up Nathan's own post-season stats and they're not very good. In fact we did quite well against him in the Texas walk in wild card game two years ago.

How did it work out for Koji Uehara last year for the Red Sox?

Postseason experience means diddly squat.

I'm glad you know that. I know that listening to guys like Jones, and Cruz talk about it, having had the experience is immeasurable. I'll take your word for it that it means diddly squat, though. There is a little difference in being the only game played, having the entire country watching, and players feeling the pressure to have to perform, I'd think. But, alas, maybe you know best.

Koji was also a big game pitcher in Japan. It's not like he never felt the pressure before.

The last 3 WS winners featured closers who were given the job mid season.

2011:

Jason+Motte+2011+World+Series+Game+7+Texas+Ll87tAqsFr0l.jpg

2012:

World-Series-win-Tim-Fuller.jpg

2013:

30liveblog6-blog480.jpg

True enough. In any case, it's beyond laughable to pick a closer with a 4.81 ERA this year over a guy who has had a sub 2 ERA and saved 90% of his games. And furthermore, I looked up Nathan's own post-season stats and they're not very good. In fact we did quite well against him in the Texas walk in wild card game two years ago.

Britton has the highest GB% of the PITCHf/x era.

I'm glad you know that. I know that listening to guys like Jones, and Cruz talk about it, having had the experience is immeasurable. I'll take your word for it that it means diddly squat, though. There is a little difference in being the only game played, having the entire country watching, and players feeling the pressure to have to perform, I'd think. But, alas, maybe you know best.

Koji was also a big game pitcher in Japan. It's not like he never felt the pressure before.

Jones and Cruz used to close games?

Huh. I knew Wieters used to be a closer. I didn't realize that those two had as well.

Archived