We're going to walk this guy the next guy is going to hit into a double play and we're gonna go home

weams

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say, most managers wouldn't have taken that risk. It could have ended bad, but I'm glad Buck had the guts to put It all on the line and take that risk. It ended the game, the series and gives the players more time to rest before the ALCS. BUCKle up! Love the guy.

Bottom of the 9th, runner on 2nd base with one out and the Tigers down by one run. The Book says you never put the winning run on base, but Buck did. Are there situations when it makes sense?

I was amazed when I went back and looked at the game thread and saw some of the comments immediately following the decision. I had made a comment that it was a gutsy call and then quoted SteveA who had made the comment I did in the first paragraph here.

Many comments that followed in the GT still held that it was a bad decision even after it was successful. I would argue that many of you have never managed a LL game let alone one at the ML level.

What many critics fail to realize is that there are times when you throw out convention because you have information. Buck knows that the Tiger bench was thin and that we were at the bottom of the order in a lineup where we had already seen their most dangerous hitters.

Yes, you never put on the winning run, but if you aren't taking into consideration that Andrew Romine or Hernan Perez are more likely to hit into a DP with a sinker ball pitcher then your place as an armchair tactician is safe.

That's why Buck gets paid to make these decisions.

I love Buck so much that I had absolutely no doubt that it was going to play out exactly that way. To my surprise, I was calm and confident when they walked Castellanos. This team instills great confidence -- they know how to win. They are built in Buck's image.

I own up on here when I'm wrong or thought one way and turns out to work another. On this call, I was in total agreement with Buck. I thought it was the smart move to make. Britton either strikes out or inducing a ground out nearly 90% of the time. Give a ground out to our current infield and you get a DP.

I would have been ok if he didn't IBB, but I felt as though it was the better move with Britton pitching. Hunter on the mound.. no just pitch for the strike out or something.

People that are highly paid can still make poor decisions. And those decisions can still sometimes pan out. Look at Ned Yost.

With what the Tigers were sending up there I dispute it was a poor decision. I ordinarily don't like it, but I did today.

Bottom of the 9th, runner on 2nd base with one out and the Tigers down by one run. The Book says you never put the winning run on base, but Buck did. Are there situations when it makes sense?

I was amazed when I went back and looked at the game thread and saw some of the comments immediately following the decision. I had made a comment that it was a gutsy call and then quoted SteveA who had made the comment I did in the first paragraph here.

Many comments that followed in the GT still held that it was a bad decision even after it was successful. I would argue that many of you have never managed a LL game let alone one at the ML level.

What many critics fail to realize is that there are times when you throw out convention because you have information. Buck knows that the Tiger bench was thin and that we were at the bottom of the order in a lineup where we had already seen their most dangerous hitters.

Yes, you never put on the winning run, but if you aren't taking into consideration that Andrew Romine or Hernan Perez are more likely to hit into a DP with a sinker ball pitcher then your place as an armchair tactician is safe.

That's why Buck gets paid to make these decisions.

Yeah, But you actually said something. I just quoted Buck ;)

Archived