I'm glad we got KC

isestrex

There was a poll a couple of months (weeks?) back about which team we didn't want to face. KC was the team I chose. We won't score many runs in this series.

With that said, Yost is considered a bad manager because he plays for the 1-run inning. If a guy gets on, he plays small ball. Stealing bases, bunting, etc. Almost hilariously, Buck's TTTP could factor huge, as could Wieters' tutelage of Joseph. We're also the type of team that can eliminate 1-run leads at any place in the order, so it lines up ok.

Also interesting...Matusz could be a big factor in this series. KC has many lefty hitters.

I hope we can get ahead.. If not, we'll be pressing. Either way, in Buck I trust. O's in 6.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fangraphs has the current odds of winning ALCS at:

KC 60.2%

BAL 39.8%

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx?type=2&lg=lg&date=current

Orioles Pythag record is 10 games better than KC. Their BaseRuns record (Fangraphs model) is also 10 games better. They also have home field advantage. There's no reasonable expectation for KC being favored in the series, let alone by such a wide margin. The Orioles should be favored in this series. Regardless, they will win it!

I am a lifelong Orioles fan, but I finished High School in KC during the Royals Hey Days and so KC is my second team. I think the Orioles are a little better team, and I expect/want the Orioles to win. But a lot of people are really under rating KC here. This team has brilliant defense, especially in the OF, and they are smoking hot and on a roll. The Pitching is very good, the Bullpen is just lights out. They have speed, speed and more speed. They have an edge at a few positions, we have a big edge offensively. I call it Baltimore in a tough 7 game series.

You are 100% right. KC is no push over. I learned a long time ago It's not the best team but who is hot. KC is red hot. I fear KC speed and pitching. Boys we might not make it against them.

You're in the ALCS, so no matter what team you face they are going to be good. I am surprised LAA went out so quick after being so good during the season. Perhaps since they clinched so early it was difficult for them to turn it back on. The Royals on the other hand are hot as hell. Hopefully the week long wait will allow them to cool off. Should be a good series. I can't wait.

I look at the regular season. We lost 4 out of 7 to the Royals. They won 2 of 3 at our place and we went 2-2 at theirs. And that was before June 1st when both teams were different. Jimenez for example started 2 games against them (and lost them). It's unlikely he'd get a start against them in this series. We didn't have Miller out of the pen then. Steve Pearce hadn't yet become a "Man of the Year" candidate, and Clevenger was starting at catcher some games (yikes!).

The matchups are pretty even. Good starters, good bullpens, they have speed, we counter with power. The difference? We have experience and we have Buck. I think we can win. Doesn't mean we will, but we can.

1. Showalter is one of the best managers in the game... Ned Yost is one of the worst.

2. No power in the KC lineup which won't play well in Camden.

3. Speed is a huge part of their game but they've faced the 3rd and 7th worst teams at throwing runners out. Expect to see a lot more Caleb (23 of 57 for 40.3%) than Hundley (5 of 27 for 18.5%) in this series.

4. Trout destroys low pitching and I was deathly afraid of him vs Britton in the series.

5. Home field advantage remains with us throughout the playoffs thanks to KC being the lower seed and Mike Trout's heroics in the All Star Game (thanks man!)

Obviously they still have several strengths and could still beat the Orioles. But I think we match up much better against the Royals.

...and #1 can't be emphasized enough. Buck ran circles around Ausmus, and Yost is far worse.

I don't think it's an advantage at all.

Clearly KC is the hot opponent. Further, their light hitting HR power is a byproduct of their home park as well. They out hit LAA in HR's, and are probably feasting to get to Camden Yards. They have a lineup that will put a different type of pressure on the Defense.

Archived