Orioles working on Markakis extension as well

xian4

I don't think he's a starter on a contending team, despite his recent successes. Quickly diminishing skills.

And what did you say about Nick Markakis in 2013? De Aza is a very comparable player for less money, as is Lough. Paying Nick significantly is a waste of resources.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, I just don't get it?

The same message board that is in almost unanimous agreement about the wisdom of signing JJ Hardy a 32 yo middle infielder coming off a substantial decline in power

has no interest in Nick Markakis

yet

1. Markakis is one year younger at a position that has much greater longevity

2. Has been healthy almost his entire career except the broken hand in 2012

3. Has had a 105+ or better OPS+ in every year except 2013

4. Ranks among the O's leaders in OBP and pitches seen, is a very tough to strike out.

5. And some of these same folks still tout Nick as a GG right fielder.

I think that Nick can be replaced, but I think he is a safer bet for a reasonable contract say 4/25 than the deal that JJ just got.

And what did you say about Nick Markakis in 2013? De Aza is a very comparable player for less money, as is Lough. Paying Nick significantly is a waste of resources.

I don't think he's comparable (in value) at all unless he's occupying center field and not being terrible at it. Nick's skillset ages much more gracefully than De Aza's, and his defense seems to be improving while De Aza's is getting worse. Nick doesn't need speed like De Aza does (Nick's baserunning stat on FanGraphs was actually better than De Aza's this year) and De Aza isn't going to OBP like Nick does.

Furthermore,

Nick did actually rank 6th in the majors among RF'ers in range factor while committing zero errors

His Range Factor of 2.08 was much better than DeAza at 1.77

If the O's signed Hardy while making the decision to let Nick walk it will be an even bigger mistake

Nick is likely to play 100 more games than Hardy in the next 3 years

I don't think he's comparable (in value) at all unless he's occupying center field and not being terrible at it. Nick's skillset ages much more gracefully than De Aza's, and his defense seems to be improving while De Aza's is getting worse. Nick doesn't need speed like De Aza does (Nick's baserunning stat on FanGraphs was actually better than De Aza's this year) and De Aza isn't going to OBP like Nick does.

fWAR seems to think so. De Aza has been worth 6.3 wins to Markakis' 4.1 over the last 3 seasons. Nicks defense was apparently a positive in 2014, but it's too small a sample to make conclusions on compared to the rest of his career. I'd bet going forward they are both about league average hitters with De Aza being the better defender in the corners, while also making about 60 percent of the salary next year.

I feel like part of the reason these moves are happening now is to provide a mental boost for the team in their final push to a World Series title. It's like saying, "we plan on winning the World Series this year, and we are bringing back the same players next year, so we can repeat." It brings the team even closer and says that we don't believe this year is a fluke and that with our current players we can have a dynasty on our hands.

I feel like part of the reason these moves are happening now is to provide a mental boost for the team in their final push to a World Series title. It's like saying, "we plan on winning the World Series this year, and we are bringing back the same players next year, so we can repeat." It brings the team even closer and says that we don't believe this year is a fluke and that with our current players we can have a dynasty on our hands.

It certainly worked for the Phillies. Keep everyone, spend all the money.

Boy, I just don't get it?

The same message board that is in almost unanimous agreement about the wisdom of signing JJ Hardy a 32 yo middle infielder coming off a substantial decline in power

has no interest in Nick Markakis

yet

1. Markakis is one year younger at a position that has much greater longevity

2. Has been healthy almost his entire career except the broken hand in 2012

3. Has had a 105+ or better OPS+ in every year except 2013

4. Ranks among the O's leaders in OBP and pitches seen, is a very tough to strike out.

5. And some of these same folks still tout Nick as a GG right fielder.

I think that Nick can be replaced, but I think he is a safer bet for a reasonable contract say 4/25 than the deal that JJ just got.

Furthermore,

Nick did actually rank 6th in the majors among RF'ers in range factor while committing zero errors

His Range Factor of 2.08 was much better than DeAza at 1.77

If the O's signed Hardy while making the decision to let Nick walk it will be an even bigger mistake

Nick is likely to play 100 more games than Hardy in the next 3 years

In what universe is Nick going to sign for 4/$25 mm? I think he will give the O's a decent home team discount, but he's not signing for $6.25 mm/yr.

Archived