Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if we can't even get one of those quantity-over-quality packages from the Cubs, then I'm starting to see the logic in holding onto Roberts until the deadline. He's far less likely to turn into a pumpkin than Bedard, and if the trade market isn't operating efficiently now, then it makes sense to wait.

Roberts' trade value should be closer to Teixeira than Tejada.

You are kidding right? Roberts is a fine ball player but to insinuate he is comparable to Teixeira is laughable. First they are totally different players and middle infielders are rarely worth the same as a slugging corner infielder or corner outfileder.

You are kidding right? Roberts is a fine ball player but to insinuate he is comparable to Teixeira is laughable. First they are totally different players and middle infielders are rarely worth the same as a slugging corner infielder or corner outfileder.

Once you account for baserunning and defense, there's not a huge gap between Roberts and Teixeira.

Plus Teixeira is making $25MM over the years he was traded (07/08) and Roberts is only making a total of $14MM for the next two years (08/09).

When you look at the package Haren and Swisher fetched, teams are putting a lot of value on players signed to below-market contracts.

That's a shame.

Looks like the O's might be left with nothing but reasonable offers for Roberts then.

Dave, I apologize if you answered this already, but you think Murton, Cedeno/Epatt, and Gallagher is a reasonable offer for both sides, right?

Dave, I apologize if you answered this already, but you think Murton, Cedeno/Epatt, and Gallagher is a reasonable offer for both sides, right?

Sounds reasonable to me.

You could easily get to the same total value with a different combination of names, and maybe there's another mix that fits better for the O's, but that's the right neighborhood, IMO.

I've been reading these posts for a long time now, and I will preface my comments with the fact that I am a Cub fan. Here's my thoughts: Pie is off the table. Jim Hendry has said that he is not available. So I don't think the O's will get him. Honestly, I am not really happy that the Cubs are even offering Marshall. I think he is going to surprise people this year, and I think he's going to be a solid contributor the rotation for us. In my honest opinion, if the Cubs had a true NEED for BRob, then I can understand that Hendry is willing to part with 5 real prospects. But DeRosa was one of our most valuable players last year, and can play an everyday 2B. I'm not diminishing BRob's value, he's a tremendous leadoff hitter, and excellent defensive 2B. The Cubs could use a true leadoff hitter with his abilities. But the NEED is for that player to play SS, not 2B.

Sounds reasonable to me.

You could easily get to the same total value with a different combination of names, and maybe there's another mix that fits better for the O's, but that's the right neighborhood, IMO.

Thanks Dave! Truth be told, I'd be very happy with that return. Unlike some of the other posters here, I covet Gallagher and Murton.

Hope that didn't sound too creepy. Haha. :D

Muskat is a joke of a writer. Don't pay too much attention to anything coming out of her mouth.

Since mongooses, ( or is it mongeese?) are illegal in the States, can this Muskrat you're talking about hunt and kill the snakes in my yard?

What's that? Muskat you say? Oops, sorry ma'am! :o

This was posted on Baseball Musings.

Here's the latest Orioles rumor:

Once completed the deal will likely be announced this afternoon or tomorrow morning. League Officials now expect the deal that would send Roberts to the Cubs to be finalized and completed by the weekend. They now expect that George Sherrill to be part of the deal. The O's have no use for a 31 year old reliever in there pen and want to get younger. Sherrill will ensure that the O's will get at least two pitchers in the deal from the Cubs.

Remember to take everything you hear about this deal with a huge grain of salt. Thanks to David Gerstman for the heads up.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hate this:mad: :002_scry:

I've been reading these posts for a long time now, and I will preface my comments with the fact that I am a Cub fan. Here's my thoughts: Pie is off the table. Jim Hendry has said that he is not available. So I don't think the O's will get him. Honestly, I am not really happy that the Cubs are even offering Marshall. I think he is going to surprise people this year, and I think he's going to be a solid contributor the rotation for us. In my honest opinion, if the Cubs had a true NEED for BRob, then I can understand that Hendry is willing to part with 5 real prospects. But DeRosa was one of our most valuable players last year, and can play an everyday 2B. I'm not diminishing BRob's value, he's a tremendous leadoff hitter, and excellent defensive 2B. The Cubs could use a true leadoff hitter with his abilities. But the NEED is for that player to play SS, not 2B.

Sounds like your talking in circles??? No disrespect here .. But Hendry obviously really wants Roberts or he would've given up the ghost long ago! Derosa is a good player ... I dont doubt that they would live without Roberts.

Archived