The Pace of the Postseason Drives Me Nuts

Frobby

Even getting the game started was slow too.

At game 1 of the ALCS, there was a delay between the players being ready and the TV broadcast. Long enough for Tillman to throw to Hundley again while the jumbotron video focused on the "don't start playing yet" light.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even getting the game started was slow too.

At game 1 of the ALCS, there was a delay between the players being ready and the TV broadcast. Long enough for Tillman to throw to Hundley again while the jumbotron video focused on the "don't start playing yet" light.

The TBS pre-game crew was set up in the center field Statue area, and they forgot to turn their lights off. That's what the delay was!

I like baseball and every aspect of strategy in the game. It doesn't bother me at all how long the games are. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I don't want any changes to pace of game, although they are coming I'm sure.

In general I agree with you. But when I'm gone from my house for 10 hours for one baseball game, and I only live 20 miles from the stadium, well, that's a long friggin time!

In general I agree with you. But when I'm gone from my house for 10 hours for one baseball game, and I only live 20 miles from the stadium, well, that's a long friggin time!

So they will make the changes and you will be home 15-20 minutes earlier. There are things they can do to speed it up but baseball is baseball there is no clock.

So they will make the changes and you will be home 15-20 minutes earlier. There are things they can do to speed it up but baseball is baseball there is no clock.

Again...I'm on your side. I am not in favor of changing the game or speeding up "the game." But adding extra time between innings for TV revenue is ridiculous.

I must have posted this in another thread, but the thing you have to remember is that for the first 100 years or so of its existence, baseball HAD a clock - the sun. There was always a sense of urgency to get the game in before dark, which has completely gone away.

I must have posted this in another thread, but the thing you have to remember is that for the first 100 years or so of its existence, baseball HAD a clock - the sun. There was always a sense of urgency to get the game in before dark, which has completely gone away.

That makes sense but I'm sure the start times reflected that. Is there a ton on games called because of darkness in major league history that were never completed?

That makes sense but I'm sure the start times reflected that. Is there a ton on games called because of darkness in major league history that were never completed?

They played a lot of double headers back then, so it was an issue. I don't know if a lot of games were called for darkness, but if not, it's because the players and umpires actively discouraged slow play.

I agree about the pace. Friday was a rough one. Woke up at 5 am got the kids up an hr or so later, packed the car and on the road by 730. Got to Baltimore and checked in the hotel about 3 and tried to get the kids to take a nap. That didn't work at all. The game was so slow and with such a late start time my 3 and 6 year old girls were miserable by the 8th. By the 9th my wife ended up taking them back to the hotel and left me to suffer the 10th alone. Usually they do great and they did do much better Saturday though.

The length of the games is a concern but it is the schedule that really bothers me

Why 4 off days between ALDS & ALCS, and yes I know the schedule are based on 5 and 7 game series (but why?)

Then you throw in a rain out or two and you are lucky to play 3 games in a week

The O's were built for the grind of a 162 game season, with beter 3-6 starters than anyone in baseball.

Get to the playoffs and that advantage is taken away. KC will be able to pitch 2 maybe 3 starters for the entire series and they like most teams have an advantage at the TOR.

I'm glad the O's won their division and 96 games. I'm beginning to find the playoff and eventual WS winners as irrelevant.

The length of the games is a concern but it is the schedule that really bothers me

Why 4 off days between ALDS & ALCS, and yes I know the schedule are based on 5 and 7 game series (but why?)

You just answered your why. They schedule it assuming everything goes full series. I guess theoretically, you could have moved up the ALCS because both teams won in 3 games, but say you start it a day or two early but then the NLCS runs 7 games, while the ALCS runs 4-5 games. Then you have a week off for the AL team before the WS.

The O's were built for the grind of a 162 game season, with beter 3-6 starters than anyone in baseball.

Get to the playoffs and that advantage is taken away. KC will be able to pitch 2 maybe 3 starters for the entire series and they like most teams have an advantage at the TOR.

I'm glad the O's won their division and 96 games. I'm beginning to find the playoff and eventual WS winners as irrelevant.

Yeah there has been a lot of off days but that's because the Tigers series was a sweep. Tonight's postponement may help though if the O's can win a few games in KC. 5 days, 5 games, assuming the series goes that long and there are no more weather issues.

Archived