Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

What is odd about Buck playing to a players strengths and avoiding his weaknesses?

Ubaldo has a 5.23 career ERA in April. He is over a run better than that is all other months but one. So Buck has six starters. He puts Ubaldo in the pen for a month and then puts him in the rotation in May. When its warmer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jimenub01&year=Career&t=p

Of course we don't know, if you try that then maybe it takes until June for him to get straightened out as a starter. Maybe he needs reps as a starter to knock off the rust, not warm weather?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is odd about Buck playing to a players strengths and avoiding his weaknesses?

Ubaldo has a 5.23 career ERA in April. He is over a run better than that is all other months but one. So Buck has six starters. He puts Ubaldo in the pen for a month and then puts him in the rotation in May. When its warmer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jimenub01&year=Career&t=p

I doubt that Buck even considers that. But as you always say. We shall see.

Good pitching is always in demand. Jimenez has to prove he is a good pitcher to get traded. If he does improve his production there will be teams that want him. Good starters are hard to come by.

The O's have many arbitration players that make their payroll raise year over year. Just getting Jimenez salary off the books for a minor leaguer or two would be a gain for the O's if Bundy gets healthy and Norris is extended. I expect this will be the last year for Chen with Boras being his agent.

He has had good stretches before. Teams aren't going to commit $28M to Ubaldo after a month of good starts.

Of course we don't know, if you try that then maybe it takes until June for him to get straightened out as a starter. Maybe he needs reps as a starter to knock off the rust, not warm weather?

What if we are in some warm venues in April? What then? Predicting Ubaldo starts or optimum performance opportunities? I think that is a field that has a lot of dark matter in it.

He is going to be pitching with his revised delivery anyway. Pitching out of the pen for the first month could be good for him. There is only one way to find out. The results of him starting in April are fairly predictable.

He is going to be pitching with his revised delivery anyway. Pitching out of the pen for the first month could be good for him. There is only one way to find out. The results of him starting in April are fairly predictable.

Great idea. Bet Buck and Dan do not consider it.

I am fine with him being the one out of the pen, I just don't think using his April stats is the best justification.

See where the team is at the end of spring training and decide then.

What if we are in some warm venues in April? What then? Predicting Ubaldo starts or optimum performance opportunities? I think that is a field that has a lot of dark matter in it.

I think Buck has the gray matter to figure this out. He doesn't miss much.

I don't know why you would think his results are predictable. You admit his delivery will be revised yet you expect the same results?

There's no way to predict how he'll pitch with his mechanics being adjusted but they certainly have no bearing on how he threw before seeing as how delivery was different. There's just as good a chance he comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders with the adjustment he's made.

They certainly won't make a decision on it before they see him make some starts in ST though.

Archived