Keri: 2015 Os Should Be Even Better

MachoMachadoMan

If they get Scherzer AND Shields, that could be pretty rough for the division. They won't really need hitting at that point.

To me, the Orioles will be better just by getting back Machado, Davis and Wieters. That was a terrible 1-2-3 injury punch, and I think it killed us in the playoffs.

The real question is, what are we going to do to sustain the winning after 2015? That's where things could get weird.

Imagine though, the dream scenario. We sign Scherzer this offseason, and keep all our current guys, including Cruz. Is something like that even in the realm of possibility? Probably not. But that'd be a scary roster.

Most definitely- losing Machado and Wieters was a huge part of the playoff disappointment. Not so sure losing Davis was a bad thing. But I would like to see Crush back for next year- I think he's earned the right to call 2014 an anomaly and his 2015 cost could be reasonable.

What I think needs to change is having so many guys on the team who can't hit. Lough, Flaherty, Schoop, Joseph- none of them showed they can hit at this level yet. A team that has 4 of 13 hitters like this can only go so far. Notice that doesn't include Crush. At least two of this group needs to go back to AAA (if possible) and work on their hitting before coming back.

I definitely disagree with getting a top line starter like Scherzer or Shields. As much as I would like to see them, it makes no sense to spend that money given the current surplus of starters. This was really Tillman's first year as the team Ace from opening day to the end, and with that under his belt now I think we'll see even better things from him next year. Gausman could become that guy too. Then there's Chen, Norris, Gonzales, Jimenez, and maybe Bundy later in the year. Make a deal to trade Norris, Gonzo, or both, and restock the cabinet. DD and staff have been great at finding low risk high potential guys other teams don't want, but that's such a crap shoot. We have a surplus of proven major league pitchers on this team and should have no problem finding good trade partners. A little reloading is really all this team needs.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most definitely- losing Machado and Wieters was a huge part of the playoff disappointment. Not so sure losing Davis was a bad thing. But I would like to see Crush back for next year- I think he's earned the right to call 2014 an anomaly and his 2015 cost could be reasonable.

Against that team, the lack of left-handed power cost us that series.

It's not so much that we'll be any worse or better. I mean the lineup could be better with the additions of Machado, Wieters and hopefully a revitalized Davis. But we will most likely be missing Cruz, and perhaps Markakis (though I think he'll be back) and Pearce may go back to being himself as well.

The real issue is that the Yankees and Red Sox aren't going to be down forever. Neither will Tampa, and the Blue Jays will at some point figure out how to play baseball for a whole season.

We aren't the favorites for anything next season.

It's not so much that we'll be any worse or better. I mean the lineup could be better with the additions of Machado, Wieters and hopefully a revitalized Davis. But we will most likely be missing Cruz, and perhaps Markakis (though I think he'll be back) and Pearce may go back to being himself as well.

The real issue is that the Yankees and Red Sox aren't going to be down forever. Neither will Tampa, and the Blue Jays will at some point figure out how to play baseball for a whole season.

So who is the AL East favorite right now? You say vague things like the Yankees and Red Sox and Rays "won't be down forever", and that the Blue Jays will at some point figure out how to play baseball.

Then you make a definitive statement that we aren't hte favorites. Who is?

The Red Sox bet on their youth. I don't think it is that good. The Yankees have stated they are going under 189 million again. Tampa is done, and Toronto's pitching over performed and they are still cutting payroll.

So who is the AL East favorite right now? You say vague things like the Yankees and Red Sox and Rays "won't be down forever", and that the Blue Jays will at some point figure out how to play baseball.

Then you make a definitive statement that we aren't hte favorites. Who is?

Right now, as of October 18th 2014? Nobody.

But I'm very worried about our future. Near and long term. This was a great season, but it doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be back for years to come. I hope that happens, but my heart and my mind will not let me invest in that hope.

But I'm very worried about our future. Near and long term. This was a great season, but it doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be back for years to come. I hope that happens, but my heart and my mind will not let me invest in that hope.

I'm sorry for you. I have faith that this team is well on it's way to consistent relevancy.

I see a management team that has made move after move to get us where we are, I see no reason not to think they will continue to do so.

I see a great manager who gets a lot out of his teams over the marathon regular season grind.

I see that we have brought some new pitching coaches that really made a difference.

I think our minor league instruciton has improved.

And of course we are starting with a winning team, a rebuild is not needed.

Is our farm system the deepest in baseball right now? No. But there is some talent there.

There isn't a "favorite" right now. But about a day after the World Series ends, the various sports books will publish betting odds on who will win it all next year. And I wouldn't expect any other AL East team to have lower odds than we do. We'll see if I am right.

What I think needs to change is having so many guys on the team who can't hit. Lough, Flaherty, Schoop, Joseph- none of them showed they can hit at this level yet. A team that has 4 of 13 hitters like this can only go so far. Notice that doesn't include Crush. At least two of this group needs to go back to AAA (if possible) and work on their hitting before coming back.

I definitely disagree with getting a top line starter like Scherzer or Shields. As much as I would like to see them, it makes no sense to spend that money given the current surplus of starters. This was really Tillman's first year as the team Ace from opening day to the end, and with that under his belt now I think we'll see even better things from him next year. Gausman could become that guy too. Then there's Chen, Norris, Gonzales, Jimenez, and maybe Bundy later in the year. Make a deal to trade Norris, Gonzo, or both, and restock the cabinet. DD and staff have been great at finding low risk high potential guys other teams don't want, but that's such a crap shoot. We have a surplus of proven major league pitchers on this team and should have no problem finding good trade partners. A little reloading is really all this team needs.

That's a very fair point about a frontline starter. But honestly, I thought our starters going 5 innings time and again really beat us down. Trotting the back end of our pen out there night after night took a toll, I think. And that started with the starting pitching.

So if we can improve the rotation and afford to trade guys like Norris, then bonus.

But your point is well taken. It's a close call.

Against that team, the lack of left-handed power cost us that series.

Good point, we had zippo lefty power. That and our high pitch counts from the starters... (and what I thought was some iffy bullpen management by Buck... as I hate to see us bring in our setup guys in tie ballgames)... Yeah. Having Davis in the heart of the lineup... makes you wonder.

The Red Sox bet on their youth. I don't think it is that good. The Yankees have stated they are going under 189 million again. Tampa is done, and Toronto's pitching over performed and they are still cutting payroll.

That's one side of it. The Red Sox can add a ton of payroll and they still have a bunch of youth. I'm sure they're looking for improvements out of kids just like we assume Schoop will be better. I'd sooner bet the Yanks will be over $250M than under $189M. Tampa has a pretty freakin' deep system and a ton of talent for someone who's "done". And Toronto has a bunch of talent, too.

My assumption is that the East will be a free for all again, no clear favorite, and we'd be at least premature to assume the O's are the presumptive favorite.

That's one side of it. The Red Sox can add a ton of payroll and they still have a bunch of youth. I'm sure they're looking for improvements out of kids just like we assume Schoop will be better. I'd sooner bet the Yanks will be over $250M than under $189M. Tampa has a pretty freakin' deep system and a ton of talent for someone who's "done". And Toronto has a bunch of talent, too.

My assumption is that the East will be a free for all again, no clear favorite, and we'd be at least premature to assume the O's are the presumptive favorite.

They do?

Archived