Keri: 2015 Os Should Be Even Better

MachoMachadoMan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Cruz has to be brought back. His power and production will be tough to replace. I wouldnt go over 3 years and id pay over value if he'd take 2. He's also a good teammate who you could tell Manny and especially Schoop took to. Id be ok with De Aza in LF and a Pearce/Lough platoon in RF. Resign Delmon to PH and spot start also.

The risk is that bringing back Cruz might not replace his 2014 power and production. There's a very long list of guys who had big years in their mid-30s and disappeared quickly.

The risk is that bringing back Cruz might not replace his 2014 power and production. There's a very long list of guys who had big years in their mid-30s and disappeared quickly.

I agree. I think keeping him healthy is the key and Buck did a great job. I doubt he will be a 40 HR guy over tbe next 2 years, but 25-30 is reasonable to expect.

I agree. I think keeping him healthy is the key and Buck did a great job. I doubt he will be a 40 HR guy over tbe next 2 years, but 25-30 is reasonable to expect.

But...is that 25-30 HRs and declining average going to be worth the contract he will get in a multi-year deal? Personally, I'd be fine with us offering the QO and letting him accept or decline. If he has another big year next season, do the same thing at the end of the season. Keeping him on a year to year basis would be fine, but I don't think I want to commit more than that to a guy in his mid-30's.

Although we should have Wieters and Machado back, it's not like we should expect that the 2015 Orioles will be 100% healthy. In particular, we had amazing good fortune with the health of our pitching staff this year. I think on paper we should be very good again next year, even assuming that Cruz and Markakis go elsewhere, but injuries (or lack thereof) always play a major role in the actual performance of a team and I'm sure that will be the case next year.

If the money isnt invested in Cruz or an overrated Markakis, then I'd like to be "all in" on a TOR pitcher. If we arent going to continue with the risk that comes with an offense that relies on home runs, then we need to get in line with guys that are proven aces until our "should be someday" guys (Gaus/Bundy) actually get there. Make a push for Lester and deal the odd man out.

As much as I enjoy this team, it gets tiring watching the teams with the dominant staffs continue to advance while we wait around for prospects to hopefully develop.

Just my frustrated opinion

If the money isnt invested in Cruz or an overrated Markakis, then I'd like to be "all in" on a TOR pitcher. If we arent going to continue with the risk that comes with an offense that relies on home runs, then we need to get in line with guys that are proven aces until our "should be someday" guys (Gaus/Bundy) actually get there. Make a push for Lester and deal the odd man out.

As much as I enjoy this team, it gets tiring watching the teams with the dominant staffs continue to advance while we wait around for prospects to hopefully develop.

As much as I'm a believer in the dominant pitcher/TOR theory having some advantage in the playoffs, that really didn't happen at all this year. DET and OAK had the dominant staffs in the AL (hedged heavily with them) and look where they ended up (we won't mention LAD in the NL). KC did not have a dominant starting pitching staff imo. We hit their best two, Shields and Ventura, and we were "dominated" by Guthrie and Vargas.

Yea I'd be totally fine with not signing Cruz and Nick and trading a starter or two to clear space to go after a TOR guy. It seriously be nice not to cross our fingers that were gonna get someone's best stuff like we did in the playoffs. With our guys it has been very hit or miss, most often ending in the between zone.

I fully expect Gaus to be our best guy next year but I can't see Tilly getting control of his pitch count. If we're not getting Miller back we certainly need a guy who more often than not will go deep into a game and spare our pen every few days and can lace em up in a do or die game in the playoffs because we're going back next year no doubt about it.

But...is that 25-30 HRs and declining average going to be worth the contract he will get in a multi-year deal? Personally, I'd be fine with us offering the QO and letting him accept or decline. If he has another big year next season, do the same thing at the end of the season. Keeping him on a year to year basis would be fine, but I don't think I want to commit more than that to a guy in his mid-30's.

Ortiz in Boston was better, more popular, and had more of a history with the team, and they got him back on a series of 1-year deals (maybe one 2-year deal thrown in there somewhere) for less than $15M.

If David Ortiz gets 1/15 contracts in his mid-30s I don't see how either player or team could expect Cruz to get some of the 4/50 or bigger deals I've seen thrown around.

Why do they "have" to be on the roster for years to come? The Yanks will just cut bait, pay off the remainder of the contract(s), and bring in their next big FA signing(s).

It also helps to have the occasional player banned for a time to help ease the payroll blues.

Did I say that out loud?:eektf:

In what way were KC starters dominant? Dodgers had best pitcher in baseball give up more runs in one game than he did all of September.

In what way were KC starters dominant? Dodgers had best pitcher in baseball give up more runs in one game than he did all of September.

I'm looking more at past WS winners. Who was the last team to win it all with a staff similar to how ours currently looks? If KC wins it all this year, then I'll concede. But until then...past winners have been able to rely on at least 1 or 2 dominant starters for the past decade or more.

Although we should have Wieters and Machado back, it's not like we should expect that the 2015 Orioles will be 100% healthy. In particular, we had amazing good fortune with the health of our pitching staff this year. I think on paper we should be very good again next year, even assuming that Cruz and Markakis go elsewhere, but injuries (or lack thereof) always play a major role in the actual performance of a team and I'm sure that will be the case next year.

That is so true. It may not be Wieters and Machado but somebody is going down next season; the law of averages demands it. I think the article on the whole is short sighted.

As much as I'm a believer in the dominant pitcher/TOR theory having some advantage in the playoffs, that really didn't happen at all this year. DET and OAK had the dominant staffs in the AL (hedged heavily with them) and look where they ended up (we won't mention LAD in the NL). KC did not have a dominant starting pitching staff imo. We hit their best two, Shields and Ventura, and we were "dominated" by Guthrie and Vargas.

Agreed. KC did not have a dominant starting staff. Guthrie and Vargas pitched well on a given day.

Archived