Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

Wow. I always thought he was extremely overrated' date=' so I don't think Maddon not coaching them is that great of a loss.[/b'] But between Friedman and Maddon leaving, it seems to point to a larger issue with the team.

Quite a statement considering the success the team's had under his direction with less than optimal circumstances.

There are certainly teams with managers under contracts who would be willing to make room for Maddon.

Well, I'm sure they're all fools who really haven't been paying attention while Maddon is in a position now to just take another team to undiscovered depths of ineptitude. :rolleyes:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stadium in St. Pete is ridiculous. Catching fly balls off the ceiling for outs?? I wonder if MLB could get out of contract by the stadium not meeting standards.

I would love a team in Brooklyn, but think the Yankees and Mets might object pretty strenuously. Brooklyn has undergone a revival of late and I think would be an excellent place relocate the franchise. More likely scenario is a return Montreal or maybe go south of the border to Mexico.

The stadium in St. Pete is ridiculous. Catching fly balls off the ceiling for outs?? I wonder if MLB could get out of contract by the stadium not meeting standards.

I would love a team in Brooklyn, but think the Yankees and Mets might object pretty strenuously. Brooklyn has undergone a revival of late and I think would be an excellent place relocate the franchise. More likely scenario is a return Montreal or maybe go south of the border to Mexico.

Brooklyn deserves a team. They have waited long enough.

Haven't read the whole thread yet. What is Mattingly's contract status?

I mean, they could fire him any time anyways. Just pay him out.

Through next year. And yes. They could just pay him. Or Maddon could go to the Yankees and they could fire Girardi.

Unless he does.

Which could still happen.

If I was Maddon I would rather go to the Cubs.

Never ending glory if he gets a ring and a team with money and a ton of good young players.

That was the justification for Theo Epstein going there. Enough glory to go around?

The Rays need out of Tampa/St Pete. The area is just to transient to support enough of a local following. Honestly, I'd be happy to see it move anywhere where they will build a nice outdoor stadium.

I'd love to see this, but the deal keeping them in that stadium is pretty horrible. I honestly don't see them moving any time soon. With the city of Tampa/St. Pete/whoever not wanting to budge on that deal, I actually see the team getting contracted before before they ever get a chance to move. (only half kidding)

Friedman clarified that Maddon is not going to the Dodgers.
Unless he does.

Which could still happen.

If I was Maddon I would rather go to the Cubs.

Never ending glory if he gets a ring and a team with money and a ton of good young players.

Like you said... words.

But the Cubs would be a good spot. Young team with some future payroll flex. Brilliant GM. Glad it's the NL...

Archived