Our hitting approach

Russsnyder

I think it's pretty well established that there is no single approach to what works in the postseason. There have been several research articles posted here, though I can't find them right now.

I've seen many long analyses posted on this very messageboard that indicate whatever the O's are doing is wrong (whatever that may be), and they'd better change it darned quick if they ever want to win again. They're not hard to find, one gets posted about every three or four days, for each of the last 15 years or so.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I completely disagree with this. There is little/no evidence that any specific approach to any part of the game is significantly more/less effective in a short series than the regular season.

I will pile aboard. The fact at an approach makes that difference is popular, but unfounded.

I read this post with great interest. Last week I was flipping through the radio channels in my car and heard Greg Zaun say the Orioles hitting approach in the playoffs was "awful." He was particularly hard on Adam Jones whom he said was his teammate. Zaun said what lots of fans (ok call me Captain Obvious) say. Pitchers expand the strike zone on Jones and he swings at too many balls out of the strike zone. He said Adam has to change his approach. I keep reading people say he isn't going to change his approach. That is up to the coaches. I love Buck but he has to change Jones's two strike approach.

The announcers last night were talking about Hunter Pence, the Giants hitting coach, and Felipe Alou, They sounded like my college coach. Popups and strikeouts are killers. Pence chokes up with two strikes and gets his bat on the ball. That is the way we were taught to play. Get the ball in play with two strikes, keep your bat alive. I have no idea what the hell the O's strategy on two strikes is. I like some of things JJ Hardy did this year with two strikes. I like Markakis's approach. The question I would like to ask the stat geeks out there is how many two strike home runs did we have this year? We may have flourished with two strikes in regards to hitting home runs. I don't know. I love to watch Pence and the other Giants getting their bat on the ball. There can't be any argument that their approach is formula for their personnel to succeed in the playoffs.

I read this post with great interest. Last week I was flipping through the radio channels in my car and heard Greg Zaun say the Orioles hitting approach in the playoffs was "awful." He was particularly hard on Adam Jones whom he said was his teammate. Zaun said what lots of fans (ok call me Captain Obvious) say. Pitchers expand the strike zone on Jones and he swings at too many balls out of the strike zone. He said Adam has to change his approach. I keep reading people say he isn't going to change his approach. That is up to the coaches. I love Buck but he has to change Jones's two strike approach.

The announcers last night were talking about Hunter Pence, the Giants hitting coach, and Felipe Alou, They sounded like my college coach. Popups and strikeouts are killers. Pence chokes up with two strikes and gets his bat on the ball. That is the way we were taught to play. Get the ball in play with two strikes, keep your bat alive. I have no idea what the hell the O's strategy on two strikes is. I like some of things JJ Hardy did this year with two strikes. I like Markakis's approach. The question I would like to ask the stat geeks out there is how many two strike home runs did we have this year? We may have flourished with two strikes in regards to hitting home runs. I don't know. I love to watch Pence and the other Giants getting their bat on the ball. There can't be any argument that their approach is formula for their personnel to succeed in the playoffs.

Big Bang Theory aside, Geek is not a respectful term.

Jones had eight 2 strike home runs.

I don't have the desire to look up anyone else.

The league hit .180/.247/.267 with two strikes this year, striking out 39.2% of the time and hitting a homer 1.5% of the time. The Orioles hit .177/.238/.284, striking out 41.1% of the time and homering 2.2% of the time. In his career, Jones has hit .201/.245/.313, striking out 38.9% of the time and homering 2.1% of the time.

I do not agree with this post in any manor. The Giants have done well playing against a lucky team whose luck has started to fail them.

I do not agree with this post in any manor. The Giants have done well playing against a lucky team whose luck has started to fail them.

So you disagree with Hensley Meulens, Felipe Alou, Harold Reynolds, Greg Zaun. Yep swing at balls outside of the strike zone, have no two strike approach. How do you disagree with trying to make contact with two strikes? Get the ball in play. In regards to Jones if you bat third there are many instances where to get the bat on the ball to make contact to get a fly ball to get a Sac fly. I agree with Zaun. Jones needs to change his approach. I assume you played the game. If you have played you mean to tell me with two strikes you didn't shorten your swing, or choke-up to make contact? If you are facing a college pitcher throwing a 92 mile an hour fast ball you are just trying to get the bat on the ball. Please tell me your approach with two strikes.

So you disagree with Hensley Meulens, Felipe Alou, Harold Reynolds, Greg Zaun. Yep swing at balls outside of the strike zone, have no two strike approach. How do you disagree with trying to make contact with two strikes? Get the ball in play. In regards to Jones if you bat third there are many instances where to get the bat on the ball to make contact to get a fly ball to get a Sac fly. I agree with Zaun. Jones needs to change his approach. I assume you played the game. If you have played you mean to tell me with two strikes you didn't shorten your swing, or choke-up to make contact? If you are facing a college pitcher throwing a 92 mile an hour fast ball you are just trying to get the bat on the ball. Please tell me your approach with two strikes.

I disagree with Zaun. Jones is a much better hitter than he ever was. And Adam was not in the Mitchell report.

Are you talking about situational hitting? Like game 2, with the score tied in the bottom of the 7th, runners on first and second with no outs?

I left the room, I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen (experienced it MANY times) and it happened. The WHOLE WORLD new.

It only took 3 pitches. Jones was GONE. We didn't need a home run and the Reds fans I was watching the game with laughed at Jones for swinging at the fences. That was the AB of the series right there.

I'll say this, I've enjoyed the World Series so far. It's nice to watch smart teams play baseball instead of a bunch of hacks.

Most everyone knows this (almost ;) )

Are you talking about situational hitting? Like game 2, with the score tied in the bottom of the 7th, runners on first and second with no outs?

I left the room, I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen (experienced it MANY times) and it happened. The WHOLE WORLD new.

It only took 3 pitches. Jones was GONE. We didn't need a home run and the Reds fans I was watching the game with laughed at Jones for swinging at the fences. That was the AB of the series right there.

I'll say this, I've enjoyed the World Series so far. It's nice to watch smart teams play baseball instead of a bunch of hacks.

The whole world did not know what your Reds fan friends did. It's great you were right about the Orioles being hacks though.

I've seen many long analyses posted on this very messageboard that indicate whatever the O's are doing is wrong (whatever that may be), and they'd better change it darned quick if they ever want to win again. They're not hard to find, one gets posted about every three or four days, for each of the last 15 years or so.

Hunter Pence and Sandoval are both very nontraditional hitters. And both quit good.

The league hit .180/.247/.267 with two strikes this year, striking out 39.2% of the time and hitting a homer 1.5% of the time. The Orioles hit .177/.238/.284, striking out 41.1% of the time and homering 2.2% of the time. In his career, Jones has hit .201/.245/.313, striking out 38.9% of the time and homering 2.1% of the time.

Right, if it aint broke don't fix it. Jones hits better than league average with 2 strikes and with more power, enough said.

I will pile aboard. The fact at an approach makes that difference is popular, but unfounded.

You still have to have talent. An approach can only take you so far. it's like the list that was posted earlier of the teams that walked the most and where they ranked in terms of runs. Even not putting their raw run total within context (stadium, competition, etc.), those teams were bottom of the barrel in terms of offensive talent. I wouldn't expect Tampa to rank much higher, regardless of whether Molina was seeing more pitches or hacking at more pitches.

But saying an approach isn't important, or can't make a difference, is maybe giving pure talent too much credit. it takes a combination of both.

The Royals bullpen was highly successful against all types of batters this year. I'd bet heavily on a 98mph guy throwing gas for an inning even if he was facing Willie Keeler with a split-hand grip choking up 18" on a 28" bat.

The idea that Adam Jones, or any Major League hitter, would be far more successful using little defensive hacks, trying desperately to not strike out, is a little naive and ridiculous. Jones was a better-than-average hitter with two strikes, and radically changing his approach would almost certainly make that worse. But it might appease the 1905 holdouts who think contact is king.

Archived