Nick Markakis wins Gold Glove

Greg

He is as valuable as Taylor Teagarden. Period. He is not even really a ball player.

You've just got a neverending supply of ridiculous, don't you.

He's been worth 7-8 WAR in less than 2 seasons' worth of plate appearances. Your personal issues with him don't change the fact that KC probably wouldn't have made it to the playoffs without him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Positions and awarding GGs based on them are kind of an artificial construct. The Gold Glove at first is like asking who was the AAA MVP. The best guy who couldn't hack it at a higher level. The guy who got moved down to an easier assignment because his org was really strong at his natural slot.

The way the GGs are now, if the O's played David Lough in RF all year in 2015 he might be the GG winner. But he probably wouldn't be if Adam Jones contracted the plague and Lough had to play center all year. Schoop might be a contender at second, but if Manny wasn't at third Schoop might have ended up there and probably isn't nearly as good a third baseman. LF/RF is where you go if you don't have the range for center, 2B/3B is where you go if you don't have SS range, and the best defensive first baseman of all time probably isn't as valuable as an average shortstop.

There are probably four dozen players in AAA (and many in lower classifications) who are better fielders than some MLB Gold Glovers.

Clearly the solution is to scale Gold Gloves by size with a first baseman's Gold Glove the size of a thimble and a shortstop's Gold Glove the size of a Prius. They tried to remedy this with the Platinum Glove. I expect 75 plus percent Platinum Gloves over time to go to shortstops.

Clearly the solution is to scale Gold Gloves by size with a first baseman's Gold Glove the size of a thimble and a shortstop's Gold Glove the size of a Prius. They tried to remedy this with the Platinum Glove. I expect 75 plus percent Platinum Gloves over time to go to shortstops.

I suspect you will be wrong. It will not happen in the AL this season and might not in the NL, where a right fielder might win it.

I fully expect Manny to win a few more and could see someone like Molina being a winner.

It devalues the individual positions. Does anyone think that the Gold Glove winner at first base is a better defensive player than the guy who finished second in gold glove voting at shortstop? Of course not. But they don't have four infield gold gloves either.

Of course.

He's been worth 7-8 WAR in less than 2 seasons' worth of plate appearances. Your personal issues with him don't change the fact that KC probably wouldn't have made it to the playoffs without him.

Dyson? That is who we were talking about. Not Cain. Cain is fine. Dyson is ridiculous. Not me. Cain is very good. Apologize to make me feel better.

Two years worth of plate appearances over six years does not count the same as WAR accumulated in two years. You know that friend.

Two years worth of plate appearances over six years does not count the same as WAR accumulated in two years. You know that friend.

Okay. He hasn't been given a full-time job because his manager is bad at his job. I guess his accumulated WAR means nothing. You're right. He isn't a real baseball player.

And he's played five years, only three with more than 65 PAs. 7.1 WAR over the past three. More than Markakis and Wieters in a fraction of their PAs. Happy?

I wasn't saying that he's seen as a better defensive player; I think he clearly IS a better defensive player.

And he wasn't a finalist because he didn't play enough games at any one position, which I guess is an unintended consequence of trying to be more fair to corner outfielders..

I knew what you meant. My question was rhetorical. As in, "Why should it matter to voters how many games he 'started' in CF?" Especially, when he played a good number at another position.

It doesn't make any sense that the guy wins the MP FB award yet can't even get nominated for the position he plays most of the time.

This isn't true.

Correct; Dyson has a tick more rWAR than Lough over the last two years:

4.4 Dyson

4.1 Lough

Dyson's a good ballplayer. Career .323 OBP and a sick 120-20 SB/CS ratio. Maybe his value is all speed; so be it. But once again, how in the world does he impact Markakis' Gold Glove chances? That's what this thread is about.

Okay. He hasn't been given a full-time job because his manager is bad at his job. I guess his accumulated WAR means nothing. You're right. He isn't a real baseball player.

And he's played five years, only three with more than 65 PAs. 7.1 WAR over the past three. More than Markakis and Wieters in a fraction of their PAs. Happy?

If he had to play against pitchers all the time his OWAR would negate his DWAR. It's another one of those fluky KC memes. Dyson would not play anywhere else either. And Yost is a runner up for Manger of the Year.

4.4 Dyson

4.1 Lough

Dyson's a good ballplayer. Career .323 OBP and a sick 120-20 SB/CS ratio. Maybe his value is all speed; so be it. But once again, how in the world does he impact Markakis' Gold Glove chances?

Because his great defense and Cain's great defense should eclipse Nick and Adam. Because. They Are. K.C.

4.4 Dyson

4.1 Lough

Dyson's a good ballplayer. Career .323 OBP and a sick 120-20 SB/CS ratio. Maybe his value is all speed; so be it. But once again, how in the world does he impact Markakis' Gold Glove chances? That's what this thread is about.

Also I say he is a pinch runner. Not a ball player. It is all me. By the way. It's not like he is 24 and might learn to hit.

Archived