Okay so WHO do we spend the money on???

mskrulz

Were dumb for not offering Torii Hunter

Perhaps we were, 4 years ago. But, not at 39 years of age. Minnesota overpaid him at $10.5M for one year Melky Cabrera is 9 years younger, and can bat first or second, spray the ball, and not strike out 120 times.

With respect to players in the organization, Alverez has the best arm in the organization, and will get some AB's in ST. Lough, De Aza and Pearce are options, albeit more so in LF.

Melky gives the O's a major lift in the teams biggest void, OBP.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that they'll add someone like Morse and then rotate Pearce, Morse, De Aza and Lough between LF, RF, DH. But I think Duquette will try to find a better and younger long term addition by dealing from pitching excess first. Regardless of how that resolves, I think they'll then take a stab at extending Chen or Norris. I don't have any expectations that they'll open up the vault now.

Perhaps we were, 4 years ago. But, not at 39 years of age. Minnesota overpaid him at $10.5M for one year Melky Cabrera is 9 years younger, and can bat first or second, spray the ball, and not strike out 120 times.

With respect to players in the organization, Alverez has the best arm in the organization, and will get some AB's in ST. Lough, De Aza and Pearce are options, albeit more so in LF.

Melky gives the O's a major lift in the teams biggest void, OBP.[/

Duquette won't give Cabrera the five years he seeks. IMO that's a good thing. However, the Mariners will. Frankly, I don't see an acceptable alternative among outfield free agents. Maybe Duquette will make a trade.

My guess is that they'll add someone like Morse and then rotate Pearce, Morse, De Aza and Lough between LF, RF, DH. But I think Duquette will try to find a better and younger long term addition by dealing from pitching excess first. Regardless of how that resolves, I think they'll then take a stab at extending Chen or Norris. I don't have any expectations that they'll open up the vault now.

Bundy should be ready at some point this year... or at least I really do hope so. This is a big year for him.

Chen and/or Norris could be moved this year depending on how the season pans out. Both are not going to receive a QO.

Aoki is a very consistant player though the power was down last season he did hit 8-10 homers the two previous years in Milwaukee. I think in Camden he could hit 10 or so again. The last three years he has been a .287 hitter with an on base of .353 which would be nice in the leadoff spot when you have speed too.

My choices are to sign Aoki to play left with Pearce at DH and playing corner outfield some and Lough as the 4th outfielder. Then if that not go through i would add Morse or Morales as a Dh and have an outfield of Pearce Lough and De Azza.

I also like the outside the box idea of moving Davis to right let Pearce DH and play left and bring up Walker to man 1st base. I think Walker will be up by mid season anyway so maybe just let him learn right away.

It's odd to me how the arbitration truth gets ignored. Roch made a succinct post a couple days ago about the 11 arbitration eligible players that we made offers to. The projected raises are about $22M for those guys. This basically offsets all of the Cruz and Markakis salary loss without "adding" a player.

Now we still have several million left from Miller and the leftover from Nick to being flat from 2014 to 2015 salary. We will use that. We will also increase payroll a bit IMO. I'd say we have 10-15M total left to spend in 2015 salary. That isn't going to buy a ton. I'd say someone like Aoki or Morse but not both and a handful of low ML salaries on flyer guys like Masterson.

In the end our payroll will be higher, but our "name factor" will be lower which will drive a lot of people here crazy. I expect the team to be just fine although I'd be shocked if ANYONE is able to walk off with the division by double digit games like we did last year. It'll be a tough division and Buck / DD will get almost everything out of our guys that they have to offer.

One last proclamation. Lough isn't terrible. I think he will play well this year and put up similar numbers to Nick in less at bats. They will sign Morse for DH. Alvarez will do well starting around June. We will see.

Sorry Most reports had all Oriole arbitration eligible players getting tender. Then When Cruz left we heard Orioles OK with 3 years around 40m. Nick left we heard Orioles good with 4 years 40 or 3 years 33m.

So if you ask me the Orioles got 75m to spend.

Archived