Andrew Miller to sign today (Yankees 4/$36M)

weams

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robertson won't need to worry about a heavy workload in Houston. A closer is signed to close out games his team is winning. He won't have that many opportunities with the Astros.

I see what you mean if you are trying to say this in jest, but in reality he will have just as many opportunities to pitch. The bad teams will bring their best reliever in at the end of games more often than the good ones, because they don't have the luxury of affording losses and normally don't have an O'Day or other bullpen arm they can use to get a save and rest their closer. Think BJ Ryan for us in the mid 2000s

For those hoping the Orioles might jump in on Miller, think about this. .......... If the Orioles wouldn't spend the money on Markakis or Cruz, why do you think they would spend similiar money of a one-inning relief pitcher?

Miller is the youngest of the three, so he has the age advantage over Markakis and Cruz, but I agree -- the O's aren't going to spend $10 million a year on a reliever.

That's absurd. Maybe for 2012 Chase Headley.

I don't know why people are so hard on Headley. His 3 year WAR, fangraphs has him at:

In 2015 they have projected to be at 3.9. So assume 3.9, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4 = 12.6 WAR, which is valued at 75.6m. Which means there is still meat on the bone for him to decline a little more and live up to the value of the contract.

I don't know why people are so hard on Headley. His 3 year WAR' date=' fangraphs has him at:

In 2015 they have projected to be at 3.9. So assume 3.9, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4 = 12.6 WAR, which is valued at 75.6m. Which means there is still meat on the bone for him to decline a little more and live up to the value of the contract.[/quote']

It's wrong. It's like the WAR that makes Manny worth 9 wins.

I don't know why people are so hard on Headley. His 3 year WAR' date=' fangraphs has him at:

In 2015 they have projected to be at 3.9. So assume 3.9, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4 = 12.6 WAR, which is valued at 75.6m. Which means there is still meat on the bone for him to decline a little more and live up to the value of the contract.[/quote']

I suppose you're right, I was just looking at it from a pure offensive production standpoint. I know a lot of his value is tied to defense, but you still have to produce offensively, and that has dropped off pretty sharply for him since 2012. Now, some of that has to do with injuries, but he is on the wrong side of 30, and has had two average at best years at the plate in a row. Honestly, that 2012 season is an outlier at this point.

Also I agree that exchanging Robertson for Miller isn't that big a sting, although I really thought Miller was going to close this year. I think Betances will be the Yankee closer.

I hope so, because that would be stupid.

If they sign Miller they are much better off having him close and Betances set up.

Archived