Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

Yes. You're much more optimistic. But I think you're almost always better off with a conservative assessment of a player's worth in their 30s than making the assumption they'll be more valuable per-year in their 30s than their late 20s. That kind of assessment is basically why big-ticket free agency usually fails the team signing the contract.

But we are not sending a message to the fans that we are going for it. And that makes many people angry.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But we are not sending a message to the fans that we are going for it. And that makes many people angry.

Why do fans need a message that we are going for it, when we already have proven it on the field? Messages are for the teams that weren't competitive last year, not teams that won 95+ games.

The folks who're die-hard enough to live and die on twitter posts of hypothetical Matt Kemp deals in December aren't going anywhere. They'll still buy tickets. Everyone else just cares about winning. Well... there's also the Cindy demographic who's bitter that Nick is our guy and cute and now gone, and really don't care how much he produces or what he costs. They're upset. But spending $200M on a free agent doesn't change that.

I understand that he may have been being glib, but people do feel this way.

But they're also the folks who were sure the O's should have been sellers in '12, '13, '14 because those teams had no hope. The same names predicted 78 wins in May/June of 2014 who're saying the franchise is standing on the abyss because they haven't made a WOW signing at the winter meetings.

Why do fans need a message that we are going for it, when we already have proven it on the field? Messages are for the teams that weren't competitive last year, not teams that won 95+ games.

But people want a message! First that we are not a one year fluke. second that we are willing to do what is necessary when we are close. And third that Peter Angleos is going to open his books, show us all his money, and then spend it all for my edification.

But they're also the folks who were sure the O's should have been sellers in '12, '13, '14 because those teams had no hope. The same names predicted 78 wins in May/June of 2014 who're saying the franchise is standing on the abyss because they haven't made a WOW signing at the winter meetings.

Yep. There will always be people like this no matter what we do. If we had gone to or even won the WS this year, the narrative right now would still be the same by some of these folks.

I guess whining about everything makes some folks feel better. It's supposed to be about fun, about entertainment. DURING THE SEASON. Not in the winter.

But people want a message! First that we are not a one year fluke. second that we are willing to do what is necessary when we are close. And third that Peter Angleos is going to open his books, show us all his money, and then spend it all for my edification.

Where's bigbird when you need him? Orioles Fans Held Hostage, Day 23!

Because we did not WIN the World Series!

Kemp and catcher Tim Federowicz are headed to San Diego in exchange for catcher Yasmani Grandal, pitcher Joe Wieland, and at least one prospect.

The deal, which will also have the Dodgers sending about $31 million to cover part of the remaining $107 million in Kemp's contract, is expected to be finalized today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/12/11/matt-kemp-trade-dodgers-padres/20234963/

I mentioned this before, but what about Justin Morneau (sp). He had good road splits and could platoon at DH against RH pitchers, maybe play some first

Miami going hard after him.

Archived