Mussina does not make my HOF ballot

wildcard

While we're on the subject ......

This is a strange, but true story:

9 years before Don Larsen threw his perfect game in the World Series, Bill Bevens threw 8.67 innings of no-hit ball in Game Four of the 1947 World Series. He was ONE OUT away from immortality. Bevens walked two batters (one of them intentionally.) Veteren Cookie Lavagetto entered the game as a pinch-hitter. Lavagetto hit a double, scoring both runners, and winning the game for the Dodgers 3-2 with their only hit.

Bevens never played another game in the majors again, it was Lavagetto's last hit of his career, as the Dodgers released him the following spring, and he retired.

Interesting. I knew about the Bevens near no-no as a student of baseball history but had no idea about that being both of their last hurrahs. Did I bring up the Virgil Trucks 1952 season where he went 5-19 in a season where he had two no-nos. I am in this boat. It certainly takes skill to throw a no hitter but it doesn't make you any more a greater pitcher for having thrown one. That is to say the no-nos on the resumes of those HoF hurlers who did throw no-nos don't make their resumes any better than those who did not. Ryan isn't Maddux's superior (if he is at all, I think he's not) because of having seven no's. Anyhow thanks for the factoid. Love baseball lore.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 years before Don Larsen threw his perfect game in the World Series, Bill Bevens threw 8.67 innings of no-hit ball in Game Four of the 1947 World Series. He was ONE OUT away from immortality. Bevens walked two batters (one of them intentionally.) Veteren Cookie Lavagetto entered the game as a pinch-hitter. Lavagetto hit a double, scoring both runners, and winning the contest for the Dodgers by a score of 3-2 with their only hit of the game.

Bevens never played another game in the majors again, and it was Lavagetto's last hit of his career, as the Dodgers released him the following March, and he retired.

Interesting. I knew about the Bevens near no-no as a student of baseball history but had no idea about that being both of their last hurrahs. Did I bring up the Virgil Trucks 1952 season where he went 5-19 in a season where he had two no-nos. I am in this boat. It certainly takes skill to throw a no hitter but it doesn't make you any more a greater pitcher for having thrown one. That is to say the no-nos on the resumes of those HoF hurlers who did throw no-nos don't make their resumes any better than those who did not. Ryan isn't Maddux's superior (if he is at all, I think he's not) because of having seven no's. Anyhow thanks for the factoid. Love baseball lore.

A side note to that story:

On the game-winning double that Lavagetto hit, one of the baserunners that scored was Al Gionfriddo ...... who, two games later, would make a mark in baseball history himself by robbing Joe DiMaggio of a home run in Game Six of that same World Series, which helped the Dodgers hold off the Yankees in an 8-6 victory. In addition to the catch being amazing, it was one of the few times that DiMaggio ever showed emotion on the field, as he kicked the dirt in anger when he saw his would-be home run snagged by Gionfriddo.

Gionfriddo ...... like Bevens and Lavagetto ...... never played major league baseball again after that World Series.

9 years before Don Larsen threw his perfect game in the World Series, Bill Bevens threw 8.67 innings of no-hit ball in Game Four of the 1947 World Series. He was ONE OUT away from immortality. Bevens walked two batters (one of them intentionally.) Veteren Cookie Lavagetto entered the game as a pinch-hitter. Lavagetto hit a double, scoring both runners, and winning the contest for the Dodgers by a score of 3-2 with their only hit of the game.

Bevens never played another game in the majors again, and it was Lavagetto's last hit of his career, as the Dodgers released him the following March, and he retired.

Somewhere I have (or had) a cassette tape of famous baseball radio calls, including Lavagetto's hit.

That's really cool !!! :cool:

I hope that you are able to dig it up someday.

In 1995 a buddy and I took a baseball road trip. Bowie, Cooperstown, Buffalo, Toronto, Thunder Bay (long-defunct Whiskey Jacks), St. Paul, Dyersville IA (Field of Dreams), Wrigley, Canton-Akron. I made a mix tape to serve as the soundtrack that was an intermingling of songs I liked and those radio calls. I kind of wish cassette tapes weren't prone to wearing out and dying. Would be cool to listen to again.

There are a lot of strikes against Mussina. Ignoring the stats for a second, he did not have that one signature moment that many HOFers have. He didn't have a 1991 Game 6 like Kirby Puckett, or a 2001 Game 6/7 like the Unit had, etc. It really helps to have at least one time when you come up huge and your team wins the title because of it. That is absent from his resume.

Because it did not result in championship, people forget that Mussina was at his most dominant in the 1997 post-season. He was basically Madison Bumgarner in the 2014 post season. He pitched 29 innings, gave up 4 runs and struck out 41.

I kind of wish cassette tapes weren't prone to wearing out and dying. Would be cool to listen to again.

Properly stored I bet they they could last 100 years with a maintained player. The main issue is the pressure pads pads falling off (easily replaced/repaired) or the tape falling off where it is spliced to the leader (a little harder to fix but not very difficult at all). There are a few sellers on ebay that overhaul old 8 track tapes from the 60's/70's. Not very hard to do at all. These are probably good for another 40-50 years. Believe it or not, old Cassette tapes have gained a renewed following with the hipster crowd, Some companies are even making new cassette players and one band (I can't recall) released a new album on cassette tape last year.

So vote for him. He doesn't make my ballot became to me the Hall is about being good for a long time to be a first rounders. Getting in after the first round is for those that are deserving but don't make that first cut. I have high standards because I think that is what the Hall should be. The best of the best.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet - but I would assume that Pedro will be a first-ballot HOF'er. No doubt in my mind. As for Mussina, he certainly deserves the HOF, but not first ballot (IMO). To my mind, the HOF also speaks to the legend of the player. And Pedro was truly legendary.

Properly stored I bet they they could last 100 years with a maintained player. The main issue is the pressure pads pads falling off (easily replaced/repaired) or the tape falling off where it is spliced to the leader (a little harder to fix but not very difficult at all). There are a few sellers on ebay that overhaul old 8 track tapes from the 60's/70's. Not very hard to do at all. These are probably good for another 40-50 years. Believe it or not, old Cassette tapes have gained a renewed following with the hipster crowd, Some companies are even making new cassette players and one band (I can't recall) released a new album on cassette tape last year.

At least the resurgence of vinyl has some merit due to the sound quality. Why would anyone want to go back to an inferior quality product? Folks busting out the old VHS players? (if you really want to be hip find a Betamax.)

I haven't read through this entire thread yet - but I would assume that Pedro will be a first-ballot HOF'er. No doubt in my mind. As for Mussina, he certainly deserves the HOF, but not first ballot (IMO). To my mind, the HOF also speaks to the legend of the player. And Pedro was truly legendary.

I respect your ability to be pretend that "first ballot Hall of Famer" is a thing, but you know that it isn't, right?

At least the resurgence of vinyl has some merit due to the sound quality. Why would anyone want to go back to an inferior quality product? Folks busting out the old VHS players? (if you really want to be hip find a Betamax.)

Who knows what hipsters think is hip. I have sold cassette tapes for 25 dollars or more. That's not typical but a rare and/or NOS can get you that for the right cassette. I listen to music on my old cassettes all the time if it's something I don't have on disc or wanna hassle pulling out the vinyl....and beta max is actually collected and worth some money if you come across it. vhs not so much unless it's a OOP and or sealed.

Archived