RIP Ernie Banks

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sad to hear of the passing of great HOF'er Ernie Banks. Condolences to his family and .<a href="https://twitter.com/Cubs">@Cubs</a> fans everywhere. Let's play 2 for Ernie!</p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">January 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I caddied for him on a few occasions when I was younger and a more likeable and upbeat person I have never met. A really fun guy who had about a 1000 different stories he was always wanting to tell. It's truly a shame he couldn't have made it a few more years now that the Cubs aren't far off from being in the thick of things again. Both He and Ron Santo deserved to see the Cubs win a World Series in their time.

RIP Ernie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ernie Banks the league in happiness.. The world got a little less friendly tonight. Ernie Banks is gone.I'll miss him <a href="http://t.co/DyevWBtWqK">pic.twitter.com/DyevWBtWqK</a></p>— Roy Firestone (@RoyFirestone) <a href="

">January 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As a kid, I was a huge Oriole fan, of course. When I heard about Ernie Banks saying "Let's play two," I made the Cubs the team I rooted for in the NL. I figured that he loved the game the way a kid does. The way I did. It turned out that I went to school just outside Chicago, a short L ride from Wrigley. Spent many an afternoon there, as the train ride was only 40 cents each way and bleacher seats were a buck. I was fortunate enough to see Ernie play my freshman year, his last season. WGN's tv ads for Cubs games at the time included a replay of Ernie Banks' 500th home run. Ernie Banks was a great player and a fine man. Always had a smile on his face. He will be missed. Thanks, Ernie.

MLB lost two of the all-time good guys in Stan Musial and Ernie Banks in the span of a little over two years. But you know, if a guy lives to ages 92 and 83 respectively, and he was happy about his life, I don't feel so shocked and miserable about it. It's a good opportunity to look back and celebrate it.

MLB lost two of the all-time good guys in Stan Musial and Ernie Banks in the span of a little over two years. But you know, if a guy lives to ages 92 and 83 respectively, and he was happy about his life, I don't feel so shocked and miserable about it. It's a good opportunity to look back and celebrate it.

Banks family attorney:

"The family will be holding a press conference Sunday in downtown Chicago at noon. We are working on the funeral arrangements right now.

He did not die of natural causes. His death was not expected. I'm not at liberty to say anything else right now until the press conference."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I'm sure Elias will kick the tires.  WS will be asking for package headed by one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo.  Maybe price will come down in the offseason.
    • Suarez is probably going to have to go back to the pen. We just don’t have enough arms there to make it through the season, especially with having very few relievers who can pitch more than 1 inning. Even though Suarez has been the much better pitcher than Kremer, he gives you no length. He is the basic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher.  I guess they could try Kremer as a back end reliever given his strike out stuff and penchant for not being able to go through a lineup a third time. However, the downside to that is his susceptibility to the long ball.
    • This is Crochet's first full year back from TJS after 12 IP last year. You'd have to think if you are trading for him, it's not for this year, but next year as he's likely only got a few more starts left him if he's handled responsibly, which he should be, coming back from TJS. He's under control through the 2026 season and there is value in that even though he's arb eligible and will likely get a nice bump in salary.
    • Luzardo screams "flames out in a few years" to me. No thanks, or at least for what he'll cost. Robert has played literally one full season of baseball in his entire life. Again, too much risk and no thanks. Crochet would be a good target, because we get him for 2 1/2 years and is an elite lefty. Given where CHW are, a package with Kjerstad and one of our young pitchers (headlining) makes sense for both teams.  If we are forced to effectively give up on Mullins or Hays (either BC of injury or general suckiness), Taylor Ward does make sense. His name has been tossed around a lot. His splits playing against AL East teams kinda scare me, but he's a RH bat that can play good defensive OF and under team control for a few years and probably won't cost much. As for bullpen arms, this seems like the hardest to predict. CHW doesn't really have anybody pitching well there. The Marlins have our old friend Tanner Scott, but he isn't anything near a sure thing like other experienced closers. Mason Miller will cost too much. Chapman may make sense if DC is out. As a 36 year old rental he won't cost as much, which will be important if we go all in for a starter. His wildness will make our blood boil but he still has the swing and miss stuff and obviously a ton of playoff experience. Maybe Beeks from COL? Another lefty bullpen rental.
    • I was against the idea of a Crochet addition before the Bradish injury because I didn’t see the need. Now, I’m all for it. He would be a gamble but a much better buy than Luzardo who is not pitching well at all this season. He (Luzardo) would be the kind of non-impact move that we tried last year, that blew up in our faces.  On the other hand Robert is more of a luxury move than a need. IMO the needs are now top end starting pitcher (#2/3 type) AND shut down reliever. Anything addition beyond that is gravy. The priorities are pitching.
    • I think a RH bat is all we need offensively. I’d look at JD Martinez. 
    • How do other teams have ANY leverage? It’s not like Elias is forced to deal with them. If he was only dealing with one yea they would have leverage because the Orioles have a need on the roster. But because there are MULTIPLE with MULTIPLE players he can move on from any team and they will get nothing from us. Those other teams are incentivized to move their players JUST AS MUCH as we are incentivized to add. NOBODY is getting Westburg (or even asking for him at this point) or ANY OTHER MAINSTAY Major Leaguer of the roster. That’s not how the trade deadline works. As I mentioned nobody is going to the Yankees and saying give us Gil, Soto, Judge, Rodon, etc. Nobody is asking the Dodgers for Betts, Freeman, Ohtani, etc. Teams who are rebuilding/selling are asking for prospects. Oakland and the Chicago White Sox are not one player or even one year away. Guys who are already established now (even young ones like Jordan Westburg) do nothing for them in their phase of rebuilding.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now