Matt Wieters, Manager in Training?

mdbdotcom

With spring training 2015 about to get underway, this will probably be the last spring training Matt Wieters spends with the Orioles, at least until the big free agent contract he signs after this season has ended.

Maybe Matt will come back some day as a veteran presence catch and throw guy at the end of his career. Or, maybe he'll return to lead the O's in another way.

Right now the 30 major league managers include 14 catchers:

Joe Girardi

Kevin Cash

John Gibbons

Brad Ausmus

Ned Yost

A. J. Hinch

Mike Scioscia

Bob Melvin

Jeff Banister

Fredi Gonz?lez

Mike Redmond

Joe Maddon

Mike Matheny

Bruce Bochy

Clearly, catching is the a good first step to becoming a manager.

I could easily see Matt as a manager some day. He has the understanding of the game, commitment to detail, and ability to share what he knows that managing demands, along with the quiet confidence with which he carries himself.

I'm hoping Wieters puts up a monster season that helps carry the O's to the World Series this year and then goes on to a long and fine career (in the National League). And someday, after Buck has retired from the job, I wouldn't at all mind seeing him return as manager of the Orioles.

My question would be, for a guy like Wieters who probably will have made in excess of $100 mm playing baseball once he hangs up his cleats, will he have the drive to live the life of a manager and do all that traveling? If you look at most managers and coaches, they are guys who never really got paid huge amounts of money as players, and actually need the income to support their families. There are exceptions, but not too many.

My question would be, for a guy like Wieters who probably will have made in excess of $100 mm playing baseball once he hangs up his cleats, will he have the drive to live the life of a manager and do all that traveling? If you look at most managers and coaches, they are guys who never really got paid huge amounts of money as players, and actually need the income to support their families. There are exceptions, but not too many.

That's a good question.

I mean, there are guys who just have the passion for the game. Matt Williams made $79 mm playing baseball and yet he's managing the Nats. Brad Ausmus made $36 mm and he's managing the Tigers. Ryne Sandberg made $25 mm and he's managing the Phillies. Joe Girardi made $21 m and he's managing the Yankees. I doubt any of those guys actually have to work, but they have the passion so they do it. Still, it's pretty rare, so I wouldn't expect Wieters to be one of those guys.

That :agree:

It would be interesting to see if he gets to the point where he wants to mentor his son Maverick to be a MLB'er or instead wants to grind it out as Frobby mentioned. Are any of the multi-million dollar guys out there coaching? Perhaps the guys who "threw it all away"? :scratchchinhmm: The TV "analyst" is the best course IMHO.

Very good points.

This was my immediate thought when I read the OP title. Wouldn't guess the Ausmuses, Scocias, or Girardis are in any financial need (though Ted Lilly's shenanigans may imply the possibility), but there aren't really any "star" players who become managers. Surely Frank Robinson is an exception, though from a very different economic time in baseball history. I'll give you Matt Williams perhaps. Cal is a perfect example of a superstar who made a boatload of cash playing and we'd all expect to give managing a stab at some point. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I mean, there are guys who just have the passion for the game. Matt Williams made $79 mm playing baseball and yet he's managing the Nats. Brad Ausmus made $36 mm and he's managing the Tigers.

Slightly off-topic, but Ausmus is one of the classiest players or managers around. Good leadership on and off the field can be found in any position, but Ausmus has it.

Slightly off-topic, but Ausmus is one of the classiest players or managers around. Good leadership on and off the field can be found in any position, but Ausmus has it.

I pitied him in the ALDS last year, trying to manage against Buck with that horrific bullpen he had.

A lot of the guys on that list were pretty hard nose kind of players. Not sure if Wieters is really that kind of guy. He's pretty tough blocking the plate, but it's a lot easier to be a tough player when you are built like an NFL linebacker. :)

With spring training 2015 about to get underway, this will probably be the last spring training Matt Wieters spends with the Orioles, at least until the big free agent contract he signs after this season has ended.

Maybe Matt will come back some day as a veteran presence catch and throw guy at the end of his career. Or, maybe he'll return to lead the O's in another way.

Right now the 30 major league managers include 14 catchers:

Joe Girardi

Kevin Cash

John Gibbons

Brad Ausmus

Ned Yost

A. J. Hinch

Mike Scioscia

Bob Melvin

Jeff Banister

Fredi Gonz?lez

Mike Redmond

Joe Maddon

Mike Matheny

Bruce Bochy

Clearly, catching is the a good first step to becoming a manager.

I could easily see Matt as a manager some day. He has the understanding of the game, commitment to detail, and ability to share what he knows that managing demands, along with the quiet confidence with which he carries himself.

I'm hoping Wieters puts up a monster season that helps carry the O's to the World Series this year and then goes on to a long and fine career (in the National League). And someday, after Buck has retired from the job, I wouldn't at all mind seeing him return as manager of the Orioles.

Maybe he could.

Archived