Has there been a better working relationship between Manager & GM, like Buck and Dan?

Redskins Rick

Nice one, but, you did have to reach for that one.;)

Reach? No team has come close to the Yankees dynasty during that time. Stengel and Weiss were together from 1949 thru 1960. Ten AL pennants and seven world series championships in twelve seasons. It was the obvious answer. Certainly not a reach.

Reach? No team has come close to the Yankees dynasty during that time. Stengel and Weiss were together from 1949 thru 1960. Ten AL pennants and seven world series championships in twelve seasons. It was the obvious answer. Certainly not a reach.

Sorry, was taken out of context.

When I said reach. I meant, go back a long time.

Yes, the Yankees in that day was the top of the crop for so long.

Baseball was different too, hadn't expanded twice.

Curt Flood hadn't broken the free agent barrier.

It was easier to keep your core players together.

To clarify, are you asking if the Buck/Dan relationship is the best in the history of baseball? I think that one's easy to answer: no.

They certainly seem to work well together, but there's no reason to assume they work better together than other GM/manager duos around the league, either in the present or the past.

Ten teams make the playoffs every year. It's probably safe to assume that most of those teams have a pretty good working relationship between manager and GM. Not all, but most.

Food for thought.

Looking back over their past history together, and yes, there has been hiccups along the way between them, I am sure.

However, has there ever been a duo like this, where both are in sync and on the same page and game plan?

Maddon/Friedman probably the gold standard with $/win to back it up.

Has there been a better working relationship between Manager & GM, like Buck and Dan?

Yes.

Gene Michael and Buck Showalter.

After Fay Vincent gave meddlesome and maniacal George Steinbrenner the boot for 2 years in July of 1990, the floundering New York Yankees were able to rebuild themselves back into a power again under the guidance of General Manager Gene Michael (1991-1995) and Manager Buck Showalter (1992-1995.)

Showalter and Michael were both fired following the 1995 season, although Michael stayed on as V.P. of major league scouting for another 7 seasons.

I wish Angelos would just strike a deal with Toronto and get Duquette out of here. It's bound to happen at some point. Why delay the inevitable?? Next year we are going to lose a third of this team to free agency. Why wait until then to change horses?? Makes no sense to me:cool:

Do you really want to help the Blue Jays beat the O's?

I wish Angelos would just strike a deal with Toronto and get Duquette out of here. It's bound to happen at some point. Why delay the inevitable?? Next year we are going to lose a third of this team to free agency. Why wait until then to change horses?? Makes no sense to me:cool:

I just have trouble comprehending this part...

On the roster fringes, you can tell there are Buck guys and Dan guys sometimes. Along with K-Rod, I think Yamaico Navarro and Ryan Webb were Dan guys, I remember Dan on his acquisition saying Webb was just like Jim Johnson, a sentiment Buck probably never expressed. Teagarden was a Buck guy, and he loves the guys he battles with.

This year Snider and Cabrera make interesting higher stakes Buck-Dan games. I think both are Dan guys and by virtue of having been in the trenches with them, Buck would have been fine with Markakis and Schoop again. 2B will be intriguing to watch.

Archived