If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

UBALDO JIMENEZ (Spring Training)

1st Start: Horrible.

2nd Start: Mediocre.

3rd Start: Slightly better than mediocre.

4th start: ???

Is he gradually working his way up the ladder ??? Stay tuned.

4th start: Pretty good, and into the 5th inning (another mild improvement.)

5th start: ???

Slowly but surely, Jimenez appears to be gradually improving with each Spring Training outing.

5th start: Very good. 5 complete shutout innings, 0 walks.

6th start: ???

Not that I pay much attention to Spring Training stats/outings in the first place, but Jimenez' progression of improvement this March has been about as gradual and as consistent as I have ever seen/I can ever remember.

6th start: Even better. 6 complete innings of 1-run ball against the Blue Jays' regular lineup.

7th Start: ???

6th start: Even better. 6 complete innings of 1-run ball against the Blue Jays' regular lineup.

7th Start: 4 Innings. 3 Hits. 1 Run. 1 Walk. 5 Strikeouts. 1 Wild Pitch. 60 Pitches (41 Strikes, 19 Balls.) Retired the final 7 batters that he faced.

Perhaps we can use this thread for Jimenez' season when SO CAL starts them when the season begins ??? "Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2015."

I agree.

When the Orioles continued to keep Kevin Gregg on the roster for almost the entire 2012 season (we finally released him that September) to "get their money's worth" from the contract that he was under, Showalter used him as little as possible, and almost always in mop-up situations.

What Showalter did with Jimenez last season (removing him from the starting rotation) was somewhat of a similar dynamic as compared to the Kevin Gregg situation in 2012.

I must confess, I didn't remember very much about Kevin Gregg. So I looked him up on Google, particularly his time with the Orioles. Gregg was a closer, not a starter, and he was removed ffrom that role because of his ineffectiveness. This was when Buck didn't use him very much. He was quoted in one of the articles I saw on Google about how he was unhappy because Buck wasn't using him very much. Eventually, he was DFA'd and then released. At the time of the release, he had one year left of a two year contract (forget the exact amount).

Ubaldo seems to be the anti-Kevin Gregg. When Ubaldo was in the pen last year, there was a time when he wasn't being used. He never complained about his inactivity all. He mentioned his inactivity in passing, being quoted, saying that he was using the time to get extra coaching and to try and improve his mechanics. So instead of being DFA'd and released, he ended up getting the spot start for the game that turned out to be the clincher. The rest is history.

7th Start: 4 Innings. 3 Hits. 1 Run. 1 Walk. 5 Strikeouts. 1 Wild Pitch. 60 Pitches (41 Strikes, 19 Balls.) Retired the final 7 batters that he faced.

Perhaps we can use this thread for Jimenez' season when SO CAL starts them when the season begins ??? "Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2015."

Remember, this was all only practice. :D

I agree.

When the Orioles continued to keep Kevin Gregg on the roster for almost the entire 2012 season (we finally released him that September) to "get their money's worth" from the contract that he was under, Showalter used him as little as possible, and almost always in mop-up situations.

What Showalter did with Jimenez last season (removing him from the starting rotation) was somewhat of a similar dynamic as compared to the Kevin Gregg situation in 2012.

I must confess, I didn't remember very much about Kevin Gregg. So I looked him up on Google, particularly his time with the Orioles. Gregg was a closer, not a starter, and he was removed ffrom that role because of his ineffectiveness. This was when Buck didn't use him very much. He was quoted in one of the articles I saw on Google about how he was unhappy because Buck wasn't using him very much. Eventually, he was DFA'd and then released. At the time of the release, he had one year left of a two year contract (forget the exact amount).

Ubaldo seems to be the anti-Kevin Gregg. When Ubaldo was in the pen last year, there was a time when he wasn't being used. He never complained about his inactivity all. He mentioned his inactivity in passing, being quoted, saying that he was using the time to get extra coaching and to try and improve his mechanics. So instead of being DFA'd and released, he ended up getting the spot start for the game that turned out to be the clincher. The rest is history.

Yes, Jimenez is the anti-Gregg.

Gregg was the one who stated that Oriole fans "needed to acquire a taste for his pitching" when he was ineffective.

My point about the similarities between the two situations was that Showalter would not hesitate to pull the plug on a high-priced pitcher that is ineffective, whether it be a self-centered, obnoxious closer that is ineffective, or a mild-mannered, team-first starter that is ineffective.

Yes, Jimenez is the anti-Gregg.

Gregg was the one who stated that Oriole fans "needed to acquire a taste for his pitching" when he was ineffective.

My point about the similarities between the two situations was that Showalter would not hesitate to pull the plug on a high-priced pitcher that is ineffective, whether it be a self-centered, obnoxious closer that is ineffective, or a mild-mannered, team-first starter that is ineffective.

Which is one, of many, reasons that Buck has been Manager of the Year.

Ubaldo Jimenez is starting Saturday night. Any thoughts on how he'll do? This might be a test of whether ST performances will carry through into the regular season.

I personally believe that Ubaldo will end up becoming our "Ace in the Hole." But then I'm the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club. :clap::D

I don't understand why he gets the start Sat. Tillman likes to go with 4 days rest. Ubaldo can start Sun. just as well, can't he? Why screw up Tillman's rhythm when he is our best pitcher? I think Ubaldo will do much better than Norris.

I don't understand why he gets the start Sat. Tillman likes to go with 4 days rest. Ubaldo can start Sun. just as well, can't he? Why screw up Tillman's rhythm when he is our best pitcher? I think Ubaldo will do much better than Norris.
I don't know. Ask Buck. I think that Tilly will survive getting an extra day of rest. He'll do just fine. I'm more worried about Chen and Norris.

Day games weren't his friend last year. Neither was Sunday. Buck wants him get a game or two under his belt before one of those starts.

Archived