Who's the better pitcher Bundy or Eduardo Rodriguez?

webbrick2010

I apologize for my negativity but I find it irksome how Bundy kept being defended as untouchable when it was suggested that he be used in a trade for a Kemp or an Upton, like he was going to be a sure fire stud, when history continues to point out the the O's have a horrible track record for developing starting pitching, especially high schoolers

Nobody said he was untouchable, those just would have been horrible trades. Even a below average Bundy had far more value than Kemp or Upton.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody said he was untouchable' date=' those just would have been horrible trades. Even a below average Bundy had far more value than Kemp or Upton.[/quote']

I would have traded Bundy for Yelich or Swihart. The problem is, they never trade prospects for prospects.

Nobody said he was untouchable' date=' those just would have been horrible trades. Even a below average Bundy had far more value than Kemp or Upton.[/quote']

Kemp's contract is utterly horrible. I would have been really upset to lose Bundy in any trade that involved taking on the remaining 5/$107.5 on his deal. The Dodgers ate $32 mm when they traded him, but even the remaining 5/$75 mm is too much considering his track record the last few years.

As to Upton, great player but I don't want to trade a young, cost-controlled pitcher for a guy who is a free agent after this season.

Many folks were.

I think I was in the distinct minority. In any event, I'm just saying there is no inconsistency in the position I took on EdRod/Miller and the one I'm taking on Bundy/Upton. I will say this: I'd rather have a full year of Justin Upton than two months of Andrew Miller, especially since Miller wasn't eligible for a QO and Upton would be.

He is in the running for the fifth starter slot.
Although EdRod has looked sharp, I don't expect him to get a serious look as the 5th starter to begin the year. He hasn't started a game yet and his outing yesterday was only two innings, so they're not building his innings in the way you'd expect if he was under consideration for the 5th starter spot. Buchholz, Materson, Porcello and Kelly have each made three starts, and they signed Wade Miley (1 start) to a three-year, $19.25 mm deal so you have to assume he'll be in the rotation even though he's started slowly this spring. Henry Owens (BA #44 prospect who pitched 6 games in AAA last year) has had one spring start, has looked good and probably would get the nod ahead of EdRod

FWIW, EdRod was optioned to Pawtucket today. But I have a feeling he'll see the majors some time this season.

• 1 year later...

I mean right now as of today 3/12/2015

I have heard so much of how we couldn't trade Bundy, how he is a top prospect, even after TJ surgery, and so we traded ERod who our crack development staff had struggled to develop.

but now Bundy is hitting 91-93 with his fastball and getting hit around in ST by a bunch of minor leaguers, while ERod is a LH'er sitting at 96-97 and has now logged 5.2 innings in ST with 0 runs 0 Walks, and 7K

Rodriguez starts today against the Yankees.

Bundy has come a long way since this thread was started.

I mean right now as of today 3/12/2015

I have heard so much of how we couldn't trade Bundy, how he is a top prospect, even after TJ surgery, and so we traded ERod who our crack development staff had struggled to develop.

but now Bundy is hitting 91-93 with his fastball and getting hit around in ST by a bunch of minor leaguers, while ERod is a LH'er sitting at 96-97 and has now logged 5.2 innings in ST with 0 runs 0 Walks, and 7K

Rodriguez starts today against the Yankees.

Bundy has come a long way since this thread was started.

o

21 OUTS: 7 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 5 Popouts, 5 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

EDUARDO JOSE RODRIGUEZ HERNANDEZ O (vs. YANKEES, 7/16)

IP:l 7

H:;; 4 ll(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)2

SO:)1

Pitches: 97 (62 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2016 ERA: 7.18

PITCHES BY INNING

71 (61 Strikes, 1 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)