Dan's Strategy This Offseason

Aristotelian

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now we're supposed to take Peter Angelos' word for it? I completely understand your point about money but I still don't trust Angelos

The title of the thread is "Dan's strategy", not Peter's. There are plenty of other threads for venting about Angelos, payroll, etc.

If you want us to re-sign Nick at 4/$40M, you have to say where that money comes from, because those are the constraints that DD is under. Do we extend Nick instead of JJ? What combination of moves would you not make in order to sign Nick and/or Cruz, if that is your position? You would have to come up with about $25M to make both happen.

The title of the thread is "Dan's strategy", not Peter's. There are plenty of other threads for venting about Angelos, payroll, etc.

If you want us to re-sign Nick at 4/$40M, you have to say where that money comes from, because those are the constraints that DD is under. Do we extend Nick instead of JJ? What combination of moves would you not make in order to sign Nick and/or Cruz, if that is your position? You would have to come up with about $25M to make both happen.

Why is it, that DD makes a judgment, about Nick not being worth 4 years, that all of a sudden, its a owner issue.

DD had good offers on the table for Nick and Cruz and they found more money elsewhere. So be it, it's a business.

When you're debating on a sports messageboard one of the best tools you have access to is just say "increase payroll 40-60% if you really want to win." How can anyone be against that?

Because that is where ownership put it.

You might as well be the 12 year old me wondering why I was only getting three bucks a week.

Haha that was witty. I love the "b/c I said so" argument." Classic.

Not really. I am asking you to back up your criticisms. I mean, considering this team has the best winning percentage over the last three seasons.

It's impossible to know what players were available via a trade and what those teams would have asked the Orioles for in return. Just b/c the team has the best winning percentage doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. It isn't the same sport but the Ravens have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL does that mean that they shouldn't upgrade at WR or in the defensive backfield? The Nationals had the 2nd best record in baseball last year and they still went out and signed Scherzer. They would have won their division without him but they still wanted to improve. That being said, do you think Melky Cabrera would have been a bad acquisition?

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

Where have I been disrespectful to anyone?

Why is it, that DD makes a judgment, about Nick not being worth 4 years, that all of a sudden, its a owner issue.

DD had good offers on the table for Nick and Cruz and they found more money elsewhere. So be it, it's a business.

Not only that, but it's also a sport. Guaranteeing well-paid starting gigs to a couple of guys through their decline phase means you're probably going to lose!

It isn't the same sport but the Ravens have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL does that mean that they shouldn't upgrade at WR or in the defensive backfield? The Nationals had the 2nd best record in baseball last year and they still went out and signed Scherzer.

I was waiting for the Ravens stuff. Now I understand. We talk Nationals in the MLB thread.

This is a long thread but earlier I said that I 100% agreed with DD not resigning Markakis and Cruz considering the contracts they received.

Haha that was witty. I love the "b/c I said so" argument." Classic.

It's impossible to know what players were available via a trade and what those teams would have asked the Orioles for in return. Just b/c the team has the best winning percentage doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. It isn't the same sport but the Ravens have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL does that mean that they shouldn't upgrade at WR or in the defensive backfield? The Nationals had the 2nd best record in baseball last year and they still went out and signed Scherzer. They would have won their division without him but they still wanted to improve. That being said, do you think Melky Cabrera would have been a bad acquisition?

Advising Weams to have some composure is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Not only that, but it's also a sport. Guaranteeing well-paid starting gigs to a couple of guys through their decline phase means you're probably going to lose!

Not only, did they increase payroll, but at the same time, increase end of the season standings.

They did both, and still find people unhappy. :)

This is a long thread but earlier I said that I 100% agreed with DD not resigning Markakis and Cruz considering the contracts they received.

But you still won't tell us what moves you would have made that were superior to Dan Duquette's. You should.

Not only, did they increase payroll, but at the same time, increase end of the season standings.

They did both, and still find people unhappy. :)

Largest Payroll in team history. Coming off the top winning percentage over the last three seasons.

I was waiting for the Ravens stuff. Now I understand. We talk Nationals in the MLB thread.

That's fantastic! So I'm not allowed to use the Nationals as a comparison even though they share a TV network with the Orioles? Got it. I'll try to keep my posts within your parameters

That being said, do you think Melky Cabrera would have been a bad acquisition?

Not a big fan of 3/42+ contracts for 30-year-old average-ish OFers with recent PED busts that happened in conjunction with unexpected breakouts. He's just a little bit better than De Aza at something like 8 times the commitment.

Archived