Dan's Strategy This Offseason

Aristotelian

This is a long thread but earlier I said that I 100% agreed with DD not resigning Markakis and Cruz considering the contracts they received.

I actually believe that Dan's strategy was to sign both of them -- to three-year deals. Once they were off the board he had to change his strategy.

Having a strategy and pulling it off are two different things. There are 29 other teams out there. Unless he writes his memoirs (and tells all), we will never know exactly what his strategy was, just the results.

We do know one tactic he tried was to trade Matusz for Snider, but once the Pirates acquired Bastardo, they weren't interested in that deal.

He didn't do the things I would have done, but I think he kept the team in position to win again. That's what is most important to me.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's fantastic! So I'm not allowed to use the Nationals as a comparison even though they share a TV network with the Orioles? Got it. I'll try to keep my posts within your parameters

Feel free to talk them up. I just think you are flailing on this issue. We do have several people here who like the Nats. And Most folks here are rabid Ravens fans. We have forums for both.

But you still won't tell us what moves you would have made that were superior to Dan Duquette's. You should.

That's an admittedly difficult question to answer but I have already answered it. Basically you're issue with me is that I am concerned that the Orioles didn't do enough to improve the team where as you are satisfied with the status quo. It's called a difference of opinion. These things happen from time to time.

Not a big fan of 3/42+ contracts for 30-year-old average-ish OFers with recent PED busts that happened in conjunction with unexpected breakouts. He's just a little bit better than De Aza at something like 8 times the commitment.

I agree. DD isn't going to be the guy going after the Cano, Melky or Cho Chos.

This isn't his style, you can accomplish almost the same with significantly less expensive pieces.

But you like Melky, similar age and production to Markakis, on a contract with a higher average annual value?

True, but Melky is 1 year younger, his contract is for one year less and he has been a better hitter the past few seasons. Markakis is also coming off neck surgery and his body does seem to be slowing down a little.

That's an admittedly difficult question to answer but I have already answered it. Basically you're issue with me is that I am concerned that the Orioles didn't do enough to improve the team where as you are satisfied with the status quo. It's called a difference of opinion. These things happen from time to time.
No, I shared with you that I would love a 40% to 60% increase in payroll. I have no issue with you. I think you have an opinion that many folks would choose to debate.

True, but Melky is 1 year younger, his contract is for one year less and he has been a better hitter the past few seasons. Markakis is also coming off neck surgery and his body does seem to be slowing down a little.

Web Site. That is enough reason for me to shun Melky.

Feel free to talk them up. I just think you are flailing on this issue. We do have several people here who like the Nats. And Most folks here are rabid Ravens fans. We have forums for both.

Cute. I used a relative comparison to help understand the Orioles budget. 1+1=2. The best answer you could come up with was, "b/c that's what the budget is." Thanks for the insight, that explains a lot. We disagree on a sports topic where we are both rooting for the same team and you are being a smart ass. It's a debate, not a big deal

Melky is nine months younger and over the last two seasons he's been worth less than Markakis, mainly because he's not as durable and has been a worse fielder. My max contract for Markakis was under $30M total, and I wouldn't have gone any higher for Melky.

Cute. You are being a smart ass. It's a debate, not a big deal

This was not a thread to discuss what amount of money Peter Angelos should be spending. Feel free to start one. You have that right and authority. I obviously thought you had some substance or I would not have engaged you.

The best answer you could come up with was, "b/c that's what the budget is." Thanks for the insight, that explains a lot. We disagree on a sports topic where we are both rooting for the same team and you are being a smart ass. It's a debate, not a big deal

There are things in life you can control, and things that you can't. The payroll and budget of your favorite team is something you can't. Doesn't make much sense to me to get all spun up about how much money Peter Angelos and Dan Duquette allocate to the Orioles' payroll. It's a lot more fun to figure out ways to maximize production within those limits. Just crying for more payroll is akin to a Deus ex Machina ending to a Greek tragedy. You might as well ask for Zeus to come down from Olympus to grant the Orioles the Championship.

This was not a thread to discuss what amount of money Peter Angelos should be spending. Feel free to start one. You have that right and authority. I obviously thought you had some substance or I would not have engaged you.

Duquette's strategy is related to Angelos' budget right? MASN is part of the equation when setting the budget right?

Duquette's strategy is related to Angelos' budget right? MASN is part of the equation when setting the budget right?

Maybe there is a recording on which everyone discussed how much the Orioles budget should be, based on how much the Gnats budget is.

Archived