Dan's Strategy This Offseason

Aristotelian

Maybe there is a recording on which everyone discussed how much the Orioles budget should be, based on how much the Gnats budget is.

The point I was making was that weams' accusation that I am off-topic is incorrect. But it's all good to each their own.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point I was making was that weams' accusation that I am off-topic is incorrect. But it's all good to each their own.

If the topic is about the job the GM did with the budget he was given to work with, I don't see how complaining about the size of the budget is on topic. That relates to the owner, not the GM.

I wasn't really even upset. I was just suggestions as an infrequent poster, that maybe you take advantage of the forums for those specific issues.

If the topic is about the job the GM did with the budget he was given to work with, I don't see how complaining about the size of the budget is on topic. That relates to the owner, not the GM.

I really did not care. I just suggested that his anti Angelos stuff deserved it's own focus. As opposed to infecting a thread based on what Dan Duquette did with what he had to work with. I think the Angelos - Lerner issue should stand tall on it's own.

I really did not care. I just suggested that his anti Angelos stuff deserved it's own focus. As opposed to infecting a thread based on what Dan Duquette did with what he had to work with. I think the Angelos - Lerner issue should stand tall on it's own.

I know Angelos did enough damage around this team but, hopefully, that is old issue.

I don't believe anybody in the last 3+ years can really point to an ownership issue with anything legitimate.

I am often incorrect. It is a responsibility to suggest to infrequent posters where the appropriate places for their opinions might be. It is assumed that they are unaware, not violators.

I know Angelos did enough damage around this team but, hopefully, that is old issue.

I don't believe anybody in the last 3+ years can really point to an ownership issue with anything legitimate.

I think if we did a careful analysis, that the Angelos family would rank in the upper third of ownership based on net profits, community involvement, and awareness of fan pleasure.

All I did was ask why the budget was set to the amount it was. No one could give me an answer beyond, "b/c that's what it's set at." We're running in circles with this, time to move on.

All I did was ask why the budget was set to the amount it was. No one could give me an answer beyond, "b/c that's what it's set at." We're running in circles with this, time to move on.

No. This thread was to Bash Dan. I just made it clear that you can not bash him for that which he has no control. And I do mean NO. Control. If you choose to anyway, the reasonable folk here will help you see the light.

I told you to ask that question in another thread. You chose to call me a smart aleck. Or worse.

What the heck, I got into this discussion late.

DH, leadoff hitter/RF/LF. Make moves to either improve team speed, plate discipline and the ability to manufacture runs.
Who specifically should DD have signed? Can you give specific examples of players who were available either through trade or free agency.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Did the team get better in the offseason?
Yes, they got Travis Snider, who should be one of DD's best acquistions. He should break out this year. They retained Delmon Young, who is great as a pinch hitter/DH/utility guy. And they avoided overpaying for some over-rated FAs.
Signing a player like Ben Zobrist would have made a huge difference on this team b/c he's versatile, is fundamentally sound and does all of the little things well. That's the kind of guy that this lineup needs.
This describes Steve Pearce and to a lesser extent because of his offense, Ryan Flaherty, a good utility guy because he can play just about every position other than pitcher and catcher.
Why is the budget $120 million when the team that is getting the raw end of the MASN deal has a payroll of $166 million? This isn't necessarily about spending a ton of money but to suggest that the Orioles can't spend money is a farce.
Os management can spend money. It's simply not wise to spend money on over-rated, overpriced FAs.
Instead they shopped from the bargain bin. The Orioles probably figure that bargain bin shopping (Nate McClouth, Delmon Young) and getting creative with the roster has worked so why change the status quo.
Bargain bin shopping has worked. Look at the O's records for that past two years, especially last year's.
Lastly, opponents want the Orioles to put Jimenez in the rotation over Gausman. That says it all about that decision
Which opponents? Can you supply sources, or is this something made up out of thin air?

None of that is worth responding to. Except this: *Ryan Flaherty-Showalter. There, fixed it for you

Want to know what would have been sweet? If they could have pulled off a trade for Josh Donaldson (like the Blue Jays dad), moved Machado to short, and let JJ walk. They would have saved money in the short term and improved.

None of that is worth responding to. Except this: *Ryan Flaherty-Showalter. There, fixed it for you

Want to know what would have been sweet? If they could have pulled off a trade for Josh Donaldson (like the Blue Jays dad), moved Machado to short, and let JJ walk. They would have saved money in the short term and improved.

Too bad they signed JJ before he became a free agent, I guess.

Archived