Dan's Strategy This Offseason

Aristotelian

The offseason is officially in the books. What do we think of DD's strategy? A consistent theme the whole offseason has been depth. Dan tendered contracts to Matusz, Hunter, and De Aza, even though these guys seem to be both expendable and making more than market value. We bring back Reimold on a minor league contract, even though we had just re-signed Delmon. Then we sign Cabrera despite already having Flaherty and Navarro. Holding off (at least for now) on trading either a starting pitcher (Bud) or reliever (Matusz, Webb, Hunter) despite strength at both positions. Most recently, we go with Clevenger, allowing us to stash Lavarnway in the minors.

The strategy seems to be to stand pat with the team we had last year (minus Markakis and Cruz but hopefully with more from Davis, Machado, and Wieters), but build up insurance in case anything happens to our stars (we got extremely lucky that CJ filled in so well for Wieters). The message is that we do not need a big free agent, just some MLB ready guys to fill in if needed. So far the strategy has been at least partially vindicated, with Wieters and JJ already on the DL and Bud having a shaky spring. At the moment it looks like a waste of money that could have been spent (arguably) on resigning Cruz or extending Nick. But if JJ needs a while on the DL or Ubaldo is as bad as he was last year, DD may be vindicated.

No big splashes, but no major mistakes either.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The offseason is officially in the books. What do we think of DD's strategy? A consistent theme the whole offseason has been depth. Dan tendered contracts to Matusz, Hunter, and De Aza, even though these guys seem to be both expendable and making more than market value. We bring back Reimold on a minor league contract, even though we had just re-signed Delmon. Then we sign Cabrera despite already having Flaherty and Navarro. Holding off (at least for now) on trading either a starting pitcher (Bud) or reliever (Matusz, Webb, Hunter) despite strength at both positions. Most recently, we go with Clevenger, allowing us to stash Lavarnway in the minors.

The strategy seems to be to stand pat with the team we had last year (minus Markakis and Cruz but hopefully with more from Davis, Machado, and Wieters), but build up insurance in case anything happens to our stars (we got extremely lucky that CJ filled in so well for Wieters). The message is that we do not need a big free agent, just some MLB ready guys to fill in if needed. So far the strategy has been at least partially vindicated, with Wieters and JJ already on the DL and Bud having a shaky spring. At the moment it looks like a waste of money that could have been spent (arguably) on resigning Cruz or extending Nick. But if JJ needs a while on the DL or Ubaldo is as bad as he was last year, DD may be vindicated.

No big splashes, but no major mistakes either.

Speaking of Nick, I wonder what his feelings about going to a winner are right about now.

Dan's Plan:

1- Do nothing

2- Get traded to the Jays

3- Profit!

For his actual strategy I think he kept as much as the core together as he could and stay within budgetary constraints. If Cruz or Markakis had been retained there would have been corresponding cuts elsewhere.

Dan's Plan:

1- Do nothing

2- Get traded to the Jays

3- Profit!

For his actual strategy I think he kept as much as the core together as he could and stay within budgetary constraints. If Cruz or Markakis had been retained there would have been corresponding cuts elsewhere.

Highest payroll ever in Baltimore.

Profit!

I would say DD did not have much of a strategy. Lost arguably our 2nd and 3rd best hitters and replaced them with Snider and Reimold. Are pitching staff looks good but I think our hitting will really suffer.

I would say DD did not have much of a strategy. Lost arguably our 2nd and 3rd best hitters and replaced them with Snider and Reimold. Are pitching staff looks good but I think our hitting will really suffer.

The strategy is clear. You just don't want to acknowledge it.

The strategy was to build the best team available with a 125 million dollar payroll. Because he did not have 130 to spend.

Archived