Why Mike Wright Has Closer Potential (Update: To Start for Baltimore 5/17)

Slade-OH

Be interesting to see how long Garcia is out. Then he probably gets close to the max 30 day rehab assignment.

Anyone know when Wesley Wright is due back?

I saw this:

May 12, 2015 4:43 pmOrioles' Wesley Wright throws 30-pitch bullpen session

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

<team idref="302">Orioles</team> pitcher

Wesley Wright completed a 30-pitch bullpen session Tuesday thatwent well, MASNSports.com reports.

Wright is on the disabled list with a neck/shoulder issue. It was reported last week that he was scheduled to take the mound in extended spring training starting May 19.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Wright should have had his shot long before now! A solid 2013, Jim Palmer Minor League Award winner, and has played for every affiliate in our organization. He struggles in the first half of last year and absolutely dominated the second half. He was also a strike away from a no hitter vs Durham last year.

With the politics of the Orioles organization he's been buried under top prospects that have done nothing but spent time on the DL. In my opinion Wright should have either broke camp with the team last year or been called up in September.

He has picked up right where he left off last season and can't wait to see how he does in The Show!

Bundy has lived on the DL and has been the top prospect and all the talk for how many years now? The preseason rankings that Wright has been given year in and year out are a pure joke!

That comment was more name wise and more under the radar than the flashy top prospect.

But Bundy being more highly touted doesn't hurt Wright in any way. He has always had a chance to start and I don't think he missed out on any AFL time due to other players.

Not sure what the complaint is?

Reverse names and he's breaking camp with the team in the beginning of 2014. The kid deserves it and is long over due!

Based on what? At the start of 2014, Wright had all of one game of experience at Triple-A. It doesn't matter what his name was -- there was zero chance he was breaking camp with the Orioles that year, nor should he have.

If Wright had gotten off to a good start at Norfolk in 2014, it's possible the O's would've called him up at some point that year, but he was terrible for several months, as you mentioned. By the time he straightened himself out, it was near the end of the season and the O's didn't have a need for a pitcher.

There's nothing wrong with how the O's have handled Mike Wright. I'd say he's progressed pretty well.

Based on what? At the start of 2014, Wright had all of one game of experience at Triple-A. It doesn't matter what his name was -- there was zero chance he was breaking camp with the Orioles that year, nor should he have.

If Wright had gotten off to a good start at Norfolk in 2014, it's possible the O's would've called him up at some point that year, but he was terrible for several months, as you mentioned. By the time he straightened himself out, it was near the end of the season and the O's didn't have a need for a pitcher.

There's nothing wrong with how the O's have handled Mike Wright. I'd say he's progressed pretty well.

Thanks, Paul.

Very good synopsis of Wright's 2014 season, the reason(s) why he started (and remained for the entire) 2014 season at the AAA level, and the fact that the Orioles handled his progression very well.

He straightened out in late July and was absolute lights out! There was more than enough time to see he has regained his 2013 form. I do like Wright over Guilmet for September call-ups. Excited to see how this move helps the ball club!

My memory isn't what it used to be, but didn't the Orioles pitching staff dominate in the second half of last season? Isn't that how we went from 30-30 at one point to a 12 game division win? Where exactly would Wright have fit in, and who would be have replaced?

This seems like misguided anger. Its like CoC and I demanding justice for Nolan Reimold! Hell, Pearce isn't hitting, give Nolan a chance! :D

Archived