Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

I think we're on the same page here Rick. I am not upset at the O's FO at all. I mean yeah it made me ill seeing Miller out there last night in pinstripes and doing to us what he did for us in August, September, and October. I also think that Snider was a nice find and he was far from my first choice of the lot of corner outfielders available. I was sad to see Nelly go but at the same time no way do I give a big four year deal to a mid 30's DH coming off a career year. What I want the O's to do is to build up a nice coundation so when it comes to being able to extend young guys like Schoop, Tillman, and Machado, we're able to afford it since we won't have contracts clogging it up.

I get it, it sucks, most of us said back in August, enjoy him while we can, and he will be in Yankee pinstripes for 2015.

Most of live within our own budget. I might love that fine looking Vette with the sexy lines and the rumble from the dual pipes, but 75K is still a ton of money to pay for a vehicle, so I end up with something like the 42K Camaro, nice sexy lines, and great, but, just not a Vette.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get it, it sucks, most of us said back in August, enjoy him while we can, and he will be in Yankee pinstripes for 2015.

Most of live within our own budget. I might love that fine looking Vette with the sexy lines and the rumble from the dual pipes, but 75K is still a ton of money to pay for a vehicle, so I end up with something like the 42K Camaro, nice sexy lines, and great, but, just not a Vette.

Precisely. I thought he would go back to Boston honestly. All that talk about how he loved it there but yeah I think most people even those bemoaning not keeping here knew it but it's bound to happen after a tough loss that we could have won with him still there and to rub salt on the wound one that he closed out. I get that because human nature ya know but it just wasn't in it for us to keep him. I appreciate what the guy did for us but I want him to bomb with the Yankees big time.

You know, except that it is related. Just a minor detail.

Centric. But let him cry about it. It is the highlight of his life. I used to care until he told me how awful his real life was. As you have noticed. I don't even respond when he thinks he is cracking me.

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that no solution is good unless you're at 150% of your rational budget. So the Camaro is okay if your budget only supported a base model Hyundai or equivalent.

Good analogy, except the Vette isn't going to show up at your job later and directly compete against you. :) But like I said earlier, I don't think we could afford Miller even if you take that into account.

Why didn't we sign Miller, He loved it here. Shame on the Orioles.

From NJ:

"One of the shops where I lived, the guy remembered me in there," Miller told NJ.com Monday afternoon of the familiar faces he's seen since the Yankees got to town late Sunday night for a three game set this week with the Orioles

Miller joked he didn't make a ton of friends outside the park while he was here (Miller was traded to Baltimore from Boston midseason last year) but immediately recognized some of the people who work at the park.

"I was really impressed living here," Miller said. "Everyone says it's gotten a lot better...My wife and I, we had a great time here. The weather's beautiful."

Miller's historically pitched well at Camden Yards. In his career (90 batters faced) as both visitor and resident, the lefty's only allowed 11 hits and four runs, his ERA over a run and a half better than every other park in his career.

But even though the stats bear out he throws well in Baltimore, Miller said he doesn't get too caught up in it.

"It's hard, the sample size is so small," he said. "If you start breaking down a relief pitcher at certain parks, it's like one bad outing can make a 70 appearance look bad."

Miller, 29, has bounced around the league in his career, the Yankees his fifth team since he debuted with Detroit in 2006. The Yankees were impressed enough with him that they signed him as a free agent to a four-year, $36 million deal before this season.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/04/yankees_reliever_andrew_miller_ex-oriole_happy_to.html

This discussion stopped us from the usual one. No weather threads. Will we get the game in? What happens if it gets rained out? Does Ollie's Bargain night happen on a different night?

According to Underground Weather, the rain that is currently coming down should gradually taper off between 7 P.M. and 9 P.M., and will likely be completely stopped at sometime between 9 P.M. and 10 P.M.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Baltimore%2C+MD

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/12/free-agent-andrew-miller-wants-to-be-a-closer/

http://nesn.com/2015/03/andrew-miller-boston-red-sox-made-an-impressive-offer-in-free-agency/

http://m.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/93718468/thriving-with-orioles-lefty-reliever-andrew-miller-would-welcome-return-to-boston

"I certainly have relationships with a lot of people here. I loved my time here," said Miller before Monday's Orioles-Red Sox game at Fenway Park. "There's no secret to that. My wife and I loved it here. It's a great place to play, the way you get treated by the organization, it's a great place to live. It's a hard situation to leave."

As with any free agent, Miller knows that the decision will hardly be his alone.

"But to be totally honest with everybody, I have no idea what the offers will be, but something tells me it'll be pretty clear what the options are when it comes down to that," said Miller. "It's just a situation where you can pick where you want to go, but that might not be your best option financially, and that's just the reality of it. It seems kind of cold, but this might be my chance at free agency.

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that no solution is good unless you're at 150% of your rational budget. So the Camaro is okay if your budget only supported a base model Hyundai or equivalent.

Agreed, our budget won't allow for such expenditures as signing a reliever to 4year/36million contract. The budget won't allow it; though could the franchise afford it? - The answer is yes. But most Os fans know that winning really means saving money. Oh, and for all those still lamenting (I being one of them) for not being able to sign Miller, just remember after seeing last night's game, he is hittable, just ask Delmon Young. :( By the way, hope he's OK!

The answer is yes. But most Os fans know that winning really means saving money.

You would have to prove that to me. Unless you believe the ownership would be contributing their fortune. Which I do not believe will happen. If they are contributing, they will do it philanthropically.

You would have to prove that to me. Unless you believe the ownership would be contributing their fortune. Which I do not believe will happen. If they are contributing, they will do it philanthropically.

Good point, you're right Weams. Wish we could have gotten that philanthropic contribution for Miller :D

It really was. He thought that argument was winning the day.

Vintage Weams (aka John Angelos) post. He takes only a portion of my post to make his argument. I have complete confidence if Miller pitches instead of Matusz in Tampa we win. I have complete confidence that Miller would maintained a two run lead last night. That is two wins in 7 games. 5-2 vs 3-4.

Vintage Weams (aka John Angelos) post. He takes only a portion of my post to make his argument. I have complete confidence if Miller pitches instead of Matusz in Tampa we win. I have complete confidence that Miller would maintained a two run lead last night. That is two wins in 7 games. 5-2 vs 3-4.

You realize it doesn't work like that. To afford Miller, half the bullpen is different most likely. You can't assume the same personnel would perform the exact same way that the game played out.

At the end of the season, those 2 wins can make a big difference if we don't get a leg up over the rest of the AL East.

Who knows how many games Hunter alone will cost us?

MSK

Archived