Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

They could, you know, both be punished.

It isn't unheard of in the world outside of baseball.

Once in a blue moon, an umpire will get punished.

I remember when Brian Runge got suspended one game for bumping Mets manager Jerry Manuel back in 2008 before he ejected him.

Umpire Brian Runge Suspended by MLB for Bumping Mets' Manuel

(Associated Press)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/umpire-brian-runge-suspended-mlb-bumping-mets-manuel-article-1.298562

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Alomar is gay, then it certainly has relevance. Same if an ump were to use the N word to Adam Jones.

Yea, I'll continue to disagree. If someone called Nick a *S-N* should be not be offended since he is Greek and not Arab?

Hirschbeck was in the wrong, equally in the wrong, no matter what Alomar's sexual orientation is.

Yea, I'll continue to disagree. If someone called Nick a *S-N* should be not be offended since he is Greek and not Arab?

Hirschbeck was in the wrong, equally in the wrong, no matter what Alomar's sexual orientation is.

Yep, whether the person aligns with whatever slur is being used shouldn't mattter. It's wrong whether it's "a fit" or not.

What mistake did the ump make? I don't care what Ubaldo says, he CLEARLY intentionally hit the guy. He may not have meant to hit him as high as he did. But the plunking was intentional. And plunking needs to be removed from the sport. It's not a message. It's dangerous.

You never really played the game did you? Playing baseball professionally is inherently dangerous. There are lots of ways to be seriously hurt but at the end of the day every single player understands and accepts the risks. That risks includes getting plunked after you do something dangerous that could hurt an opposing player. The only mistake Ubaldo made was throwing it as high as he did.

You never really played the game did you? Playing baseball professionally is inherently dangerous. There are lots of ways to be seriously hurt but at the end of the day every single player understands and accepts the risks. That risks includes getting plunked after you do something dangerous that could hurt an opposing player. The only mistake Ubaldo made was throwing it as high as he did.

For one, yes I did play baseball.

Two, in the MLB, we are talking about a game played by ADULTS (not Little League, not High School... but grown men). Hurling a baseball at someone intentionally is actually quite childish. It's the pitching equivalent to throwing a temper tantrum. And it can cause real injury. Sure, there is inherent risk in playing the game. That doesn't mean that we should look the other way when someone is reckless.

I understand Ubaldo didn't mean to throw as high as he did. Doesn't excuse trying to throw at someone. I understand that this happens in baseball. It should stop. Just because it's part of baseball culture doesn't mean it's right. Jordan Baker did the right thing. Even if maybe it's not the course many umps have taken. He was also very well within the rules to eject Ubaldo.

Ultimately, let's let the adults play the game. If someone wants to act like a child, they can have their tantrum in the locker room.

Two, in the MLB, we are talking about a game played by ADULTS (not Little League, not High School... but grown men). Hurling a baseball at someone intentionally is actually quite childish. It's the pitching equivalent to throwing a temper tantrum. And it can cause real injury. Sure, there is inherent risk in playing the game. That doesn't mean that we should look the other way when someone is reckless.

I understand Ubaldo didn't mean to throw as high as he did. Doesn't excuse trying to throw at someone. I understand that this happens in baseball. It should stop. Just because it's part of baseball culture doesn't mean it's right. Jordan Baker did the right thing. Even if maybe it's not the course many umps have taken. He was also very well within the rules to eject Ubaldo.

Ultimately, let's let the adults play the game. If someone wants to act like a child, they can have their tantrum in the locker room.

picard-facepalm.jpg

You are very wrong if you think Ubaldo was throwing at anyone. It was an inexperienced umpire's overreach. Period. There was a reason he was not allowed to umpire today.

You are very wrong if you think Ubaldo was throwing at anyone. It was an inexperienced umpire's overreach. Period. There was a reason he was not allowed to umpire today.

Yep. Ubaldo didn't have good control obviously (3 BB in 3.2 IP), and Caleb Joseph was setting up inside because that's how you have to pitch Sandoval. He crowds the plate. And no one was offended by Sandoval's slide, that was just playing the game the right way.

Ehhh, Ubaldo did it intentionally IMO. Almost zero doubt in my mind. Should he have been thrown out is another question. Not according to the normal standards of baseball, I would agree. That said, Larussa purposely strategized for years to have pitchers hit batters first so that he could get it in and not have his pitcher be the one thrown out under those same standards. I do doubt Buck was is in on this stuff though. Caleb probably was.

Ehhh, Ubaldo did it intentionally IMO. Almost zero doubt in my mind. Should he have been thrown out is another question. Not according to the normal standards of baseball, I would agree. That said, Larussa purposely strategized for years to have pitchers hit batters first so that he could get it in and not have his pitcher be the one thrown out under those same standards. I do doubt Buck was is in on this stuff though. Caleb probably was.

Right. I guess it's a matter of debate whether it was intentional or not, but even if the ump thought it was, he can't prove it beyond a doubt. He should have issued a warning if anything.

Really? Man, I'm surprised. That can be nothing more than conjecture, whereas the available evidence would point away from that line of thinking.

When I played the players rarely were allowed to supersede a manager's dictate without serious repercussions and I've never seen or heard of yet an instance where Buck would have condoned such an act.

1. It was a one run game and no pitcher is putting on a base runner in a tight game to get even.

2. It was early but he did have a no hitter.

3. Jimenez already had suspect control in the game and has been known to struggle with command as recently as last year and for the entire season. It's not uncommon for him to miss his target by more than a little.

4. Joseph did set up inside but it was likely to back Sandoval off so he could again go back outside. There were two strikes. What pitcher in his right mind gets his supposed target 0-2 before plunking him?

5. Jimenez has no history of this kind of retaliatory behavior and it doesn't fit his demeanor in general.

And finally, Schoop wasn't taken out on the slide and no Orioles outwardly showed any anger when that play took place. I find it very unlikely the catcher and pitcher conspired for revenge on another player when there wasn't a peep from any of their teammates when the play happened.

Really? Man, I'm surprised. That can be nothing more than conjecture, whereas the available evidence would point away from that line of thinking.

When I played the players rarely were allowed to supersede a manager's dictate without serious repercussions and I've never seen or heard of yet an instance where Buck would have condoned such an act.

1. It was a one run game and no pitcher is putting on a base runner in a tight game to get even.

3. Jimenez already had suspect control in the game and has been known to struggle with command as recently as last year and for the entire season. It's not uncommon for him to miss his target by more than a little.

4. Joseph did set up inside but it was likely to back Sandoval off so he could again go back outside. There were two strikes. What pitcher in his right mind gets his supposed target 0-2 before plunking him?

5. Jimenez has no history of this kind of retaliatory behavior and it doesn't fit his demeanor in general.

And finally, Schoop wasn't taken out on the slide and no Orioles outwardly showed any anger when that play took place. I find it very unlikely the catcher and pitcher conspired for revenge on another player when there wasn't a peep from any of their teammates when the play happened.

:thumbsup1:

Yeah, we'll have to disagree. The slide was dirty and I believe that Ubaldo (probably with Joseph in compliance) took it upon himself to "have Schoop's back" there. They made it look as good as they could make it look. Ubaldo may have walked a few people but his command was very good imo. No way he missed like that because it just got away. Is that "conjecture" on my part? Sure, but just as reasonable conjecture the it was all a bad mistake imo.

Yes, I agree Buck would not condone it.

Archived