Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Umpire Jordan Baker, who ejected Ubaldo Jimenez, isn't here today. Not listed among the 4 umps working today's game. Hmmmm...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jordan Baker, who ejected Ubaldo Jimenez, and would normally have been at second base, is not here. John Tumpane at secnd instead.</p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Being told that umpire Jordan Baker not being here has nothing to do with Friday night. Not here for personal reasons. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Being told that umpire Jordan Baker not being here has nothing to do with Friday night. Not here for personal reasons. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Well, there you go!

I think that the biggest point is being missed in all of this. MLB currently has a system where players can be immediately ejected by knee-jerk, emotional reactions from the umpires.

I really don't believe there was any nefarious intention from the umpire when he ejected Ubaldo. I really don't believe there was incompetence either. Even though this umpire doesn't have the same experience as many others, you simply don't make it to the MLB level without significant knowledge of the game and an extremely strong competency to umpire a baseball game. He made a very quick decision that only after about 5 or 10 seconds of thought was clearly wrong, yet there was no way to back down from it.

Before any participant is ejected from the game, the umpires should be required to make a quick conference. The crew should have to make a decision on the ejection at that point. Either that person immediately has to leave the field of play or they remain with possible warnings being issued to both teams.

I believe that we would have seen a quick 15-20 second conference after the HBP where the umpires would have made the reasonable decision that Ubaldo was simply wild on the inside pitch. Both benches could have been warned and we would have probably already forgotten about what happened.

So instead of a player being ejected, he would instead be voted off the island. Well baseball does need fresh marketing ideas. :D

I doubt if a conference would do much except add unnecessary complexity and an opportunity for the umps to express solidarity. It would certainly add time to the game which I think is a non-starter in the current environment. Personally I don't think it's the system that's broken, it's the ump.

That says less then a no comment.

Is it normal to have a replacement on hand so quickly?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Only once in the game's history has an umpire been suspended for job performance <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SI?src=hash">#SI</a> One time. Once.</p>— Orioles Hangout (@OriolesHangout) <a href="

Balkin' Bob.

Personally I don't think it's the system that's broken, it's the ump.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Good news for Jordan Baker though. Who even knew his name 2 days ago. He's famous. Umpiring has become a part of the product. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LeslieNeilsen?src=hash">#LeslieNeilsen</a></p>— Orioles Hangout (@OriolesHangout) <a href="

So instead of a player being ejected, he would instead be voted off the island. Well baseball does need fresh marketing ideas. :D

I doubt if a conference would do much except add unnecessary complexity and an opportunity for the umps to express solidarity. It would certainly add time to the game which I think is a non-starter in the current environment. Personally I don't think it's the system that's broken, it's the ump.

Ha! Voted off the island...that's funny. :D

I know it would add a little time to the game, but this isn't something that comes up all that often. Even then it would probably only be half a minute or so. I still think that this would keep it from happening again.

Personally I don't think it's the system that's broken, it's the ump.

There is no rule that requires an ump to issue warnings. It's at the discretion of the umpire whether to eject a player. Maybe Torre or one of MLB's Umpire Advisors or the Umpire Evaluator (almost all of which are former MLB umpires) will discuss the topic of discretion with Baker.

Archived