Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Schoop has Grade 1 PcL tear in right knee. Heading to DL.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">April 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No surgery for Schoop. Buck said feels confident Schoop back this season. Rehab in Sarasota. Grade 1 tear</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back this season isn't real encouraging when you hear it in April.

Frank Robinson and Don Baylor used to try to knock the second baseman into left field. I have no problem with playing hard. Or the Panda's slide.

I do, but I admit it was legal.

I don't see the logic of removing home plate collisions while allowing plays of that ilk.

Other then the fact that Buster Posey doesn't play second base.

http://www.closecallsports.com/2015/04/mlb-ejection-009-jordan-baker-1-ubaldo.html

Well, here's a third that agrees with the ejection. The call was "irrecusable". You absolutely HAVE to eject the pitcher there if you want to keep the game under control.

That isn't what he means when he says it is irrecusable. He is simply saying that the ejection occurred after a play that could not be challenged. There was no value judgment in that statement on whether the ejection was appropriate.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No surgery for Schoop. Buck said feels confident Schoop back this season. Rehab in Sarasota. Grade 1 tear</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back this season isn't real encouraging when you hear it in April.

This is being compared favorably with the Betemit injury of a couple seasons back.

That isn't what he means when he says it is irrecusable. He is simply saying that the ejection occurred after a play that could not be challenged. There was no value judgment in that statement on whether the ejection was appropriate.

I knew he was an attorney.

OK, maybe did I misread the statement. That said, I still can't see what would possess ANYONE to think that Ubaldo should remain in the game after that pitch. Even as an Orioles fan, taking off the black and orange blinders, it's pretty clear to me.

Had this been in reverse and Chris Davis had committed a hard slide into 2nd and then in his next AB he gets plunked on his very first pitch by a Boston pitcher, you can bet fans here would be crying bloody murder that he should be thrown out.

As for keeping the game under control, yes, Jordan Baker caused a little shakeup with the ejection call. But that game could have gotten way further out of hand had that been allowed to continue. Jordan Baker made the right call.

I had to go to the dictionary on this one. Two dictionaries, in fact. Neither gave a definition that makes much sense in this context. I have no idea what he was trying to say. In general, I get suspicious when someone reaches for a fifty-dollar word that's not in common usage.

I had to go to the dictionary on this one. Two dictionaries' date=' in fact. Neither gave a definition that makes much sense in this context. I have no idea what he was trying to say. In general, I get suspicious when someone reaches for a fifty-dollar word that's not in common usage.[/quote']

Google has it defined as "not able to be challenged or rejected". Actually it looks like I was wrong too. If you read the blog it looks like he uses it in other posts to indicate whether the ejection itself can be challenged, not whether it resulted from a play that is itself challengable.

http://www.closecallsports.com/2015/04/mlb-ejection-007-laz-diaz-1-kevin-cash.html?m=1

I do, but I admit it was legal.

I don't see the logic of removing home plate collisions while allowing plays of that ilk.

Other then the fact that Buster Posey doesn't play second base.

Exactly this. How the heck would this play have been called if it was at the plate? Are second baseman more expendable than catchers???

OK, maybe did I misread the statement. That said, I still can't see what would possess ANYONE to think that Ubaldo should remain in the game after that pitch. Even as an Orioles fan, taking off the black and orange blinders, it's pretty clear to me.

Had this been in reverse and Chris Davis had committed a hard slide into 2nd and then in his next AB he gets plunked on his very first pitch by a Boston pitcher, you can bet fans here would be crying bloody murder that he should be thrown out.

As for keeping the game under control, yes, Jordan Baker caused a little shakeup with the ejection call. But that game could have gotten way further out of hand had that been allowed to continue. Jordan Baker made the right call.

Most umpires warn both sides and the game typically continues without incident.

Archived