Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

He clearly did not hit him on purpose. Caleb set up inside and up ... they were just trying to jam him, probably to set up the 2 seam away on the next pitch. Obaldo missed. If Caleb was set up on the outside, and the pitch ended up where it did, then, yes, it would have likely been intentional. It was a bad umpire intentionally impacting the outcome of the game. This guy likes the attention ... he's probably on the internet right now reading about himself. And unfortunately, he *is* up to major league standards, or rather major league standards have been lowered to his level. These days umpires are more interested in notoriety than accuracy, and MLB clearly favors certain teams over others. Only the Orioles will receive fines / suspensions over this due to the MASN dispute.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What mistake did the ump make? I don't care what Ubaldo says, he CLEARLY intentionally hit the guy. He may not have meant to hit him as high as he did. But the plunking was intentional. And plunking needs to be removed from the sport. It's not a message. It's dangerous.

Was Sandoval's slide dangerous?

Should he have been ejected?

The Ump tosses Sandoval there is no one for Ubaldo to hit.

So why didn't he just toss Sandoval?

IMO, what's professionally embarrassing is intentionally throwing at people. Ubaldo deserved the ejection. No questions asked. It's embarrassing to the sport that it's considered OK to plunk someone. You can't punch someone. Why is it OK to throw a 90 MPH rock at them? I'm glad an ump is finally taking a stand against intentional plunking.

And yes, I played baseball. That doesn't mean that something that has been generally accepted in the sport that can cause bodily harm, and SERIOUS bodily harm if you hit the right places should be allowed to continue.

Ubaldo was lacking command last night. It wasn't intentional.

If it was as clear as you say we wouldnt be having this discussion. I really wish people understood the words they use have actual meanings.

From Ubaldo's body language, he CLEARLY wasn't trying to hit him. As soon as the batter was plunked, Ubaldo's head and right arm shot up in surprise. He CLEARLY was disappointed with the location of the pitch.

I'm guessing that the ump made a decision after the slide that if any Red Sox were hit, he would eject the Orioles pitcher. The ejection was premeditated and absent of reason.

No doubt it was an inexperienced umpire over his head. This umpiring crew was embarrassing. First the non call on the Panda slide then the immediate ejection shows this crew is not up to major league standards.

Ejecting Ubaldo there was completely and utterly riduclous.

MLB can not have it both ways. I don't believe Ubaldo was trying to hit him, but even if he was MLB.com and TV shouldn't be using the slides as stories. They also were trying to pump up an incident with Heyward and Cincinnati.

My point being, stop creating controversy that may or may not exist.

If Ubaldo intentionally did this why not give him a multigame suspension now? I'll tell you why. Because no one that matters thinks he did it with malace or intentionally. The guy is trying to get his career back on track and ran the risk of not even making the rotation. Why would we screw with that?? It makes no sense in the game or in his current situation to be thinking about anything other than making good pitches.

MLB can not have it both ways. I don't believe Ubaldo was trying to hit him, but even if he was MLB.com and TV shouldn't be using the slides as stories. They also were trying to pump up an incident with Heyward and Cincinnati.

My point being, stop creating controversy that may or may not exist.

Ken Rosenthal works for them.

I'm just trying to figure out his logic.

Me, I think the HBP was less dangerous then the slide.

A slide might hurt someone's legs. A HBP can kill someone. I also don't think the slide was that egregious.

And even if it is a command issue, then Ubaldo is still a danger. He missed the plate by over a yard. Had Sandoval taken a slight step forward, the ball would have sailed behind him.

Acceptance of HBPs is a big problem with the game of baseball. Sport does contain an element of danger as weams said. But when the objecct of the game is put the ball over the plate and you can't get within a yard of said plate... you shouldn't be out there. For him to miss by as much as he did, he's either reckless for the well-being of player safety, or not competent in pitch control which might be even more dangerous.

His removal from the game was warranted.

A slide might hurt someone's legs. A HBP can kill someone. I also don't think the slide was that egregious.

And even if it is a command issue, then Ubaldo is still a danger. He missed the plate by over a yard. Had Sandoval taken a slight step forward, the ball would have sailed behind him.

Acceptance of HBPs is a big problem with the game of baseball. Sport does contain an element of danger as weams said. But when the objecct of the game is put the ball over the plate and you can't get within a yard of said plate... you shouldn't be out there. For him to miss by as much as he did, he's either reckless for the well-being of player safety, or not competent in pitch control which might be even more dangerous.

If the punishment for HBP is ejection then pitchers like Ubaldo will no longer be able to be in MLB starting rotations.

When was the last time a player was killed by a HBP. When was the last time a player was injured by a slide?

Who was the last batter killed? In majors or minors. Because it is a dangerous sport. As all the sports are. Because of the physical element to it.

Archived