Buck on Jordan Baker

BarclaySouthway

Digging for information on the ump last night led to a few things being uncovered. I thought for sure he was born in New England. Will keep checking. He'll eat and drink for free in Boston from now on. He was born in Oklahoma. It didn't say where he grew up or if he went to college. He's 33 years old and the tallest ump currently in baseball at 6 ' 7." He was in a controversial game with the D'Backs in 2013 when he called a guy safe that was tagged a foot from the base and should have been called out. Arizona D fans wanted him suspended and worse things after missing such an obvious play. I usually support Rick on his comments after a game but Baker missed a number of ball/strike calls last night and leaned Boston's way more than a few times. This could be a tough weekend in Boston. Didn't we know the game was over when we saw Hunter coming in the game. All you heard on the radio since Wednesday night was talk about Hunter and whether Buck would try to hide him a little in the pen awhile to get over his tough outings. We all know Buck does not listen to us. Just think back to JJ (Jim Johnson Days) and his numerous blown games not too many years ago. Not sure what happened with our rule5 guy and Buck. He seems to be buried in the pen. He didn't look that bad when he's pitched. One or two games? He's a strikeout pitcher to go with it. Either use him or send him back.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good post. Umps can't read a pitcher's mind. One could certainly make the case that it appeared that Ubaldo was getting retribution for the slide at second. I think that was a pretty logical conclusion by the ump whether right or wrong.

Maybe if it was the first pitch of the AB, but why wait until you have him 0-2 to hit him? If that's whay you're doing, just get him the next time around.

It was a completely illogical move to throw Ubaldo out. If you're concerned about retaliation, why not issue warnings after the slide? It was a terrible call by an inexperienced umpire, who reacted without thinking. That said, I wouldn't call for his head. I hope he learns from this, and MLB starts holding umpires more accountable, but that doesn't mean they need to make their disciplinary decisions public.

Good post. Umps can't read a pitcher's mind. One could certainly make the case that it appeared that Ubaldo was getting retribution for the slide at second. I think that was a pretty logical conclusion by the ump whether right or wrong.
Even if Ubaldo were to be getting retribution for the slide at 2nd, the ump should have issued a warning, not eject him immediately. That's the main thrust of all of these posts. But also, it's quite obvious that Ubaldo is innocent. It makes no sense for him to go headhunting at that time. His team was leading 1-0, he was pitching a no hitter. Even Sandoval said later that he was surprised by the ejection. Saying all of this isn't "vilifying" this ump, it's just criticizing this particular call.

Even if Ubaldo were to be getting retribution for the slide at 2nd, the ump should have issued a warning, not eject him immediately. That's the main thrust of all of these posts. But also, it's quite obvious that Ubaldo is innocent. It makes no sense for him to go headhunting at that time. His team was leading 1-0, he was pitching a no hitter. Even Sandoval said later that he was surprised by the ejection. Saying all of this isn't "vilifying" this ump, it's just criticizing this particular call.

I think the Orioles should refuse to play at all this Patriots weekend. Just go back to Baltimore. We'll win enough later. I'm pissed.

All of the Red Sox players who were asked about it didn't think it was intentional. Their announcers too.

Indeed. Nor should they be in the business of mind reading. As Baker was last night. It was obvious that a) the slide was not egregious, b) Ubaldo had command issues, c) he had 2 strikes on Panda, d) the catcher set up away, e) in a one run game it made no sense to put a runner on. Plenty of facts to understand the situation with, no need for mind reading.

I'm not saying he should get suspended for it but there should be some sort of official reprimand (that we won't know of) and this incident should count against him when it comes to award positions in the post season.

There should always be consequences for incompetence in the workplace.

First of all, I don't know how the system works for critiquing umpires after a game and giving them grades that bear on whether they get to ump in the postseason. I'm fine with any consequence of the type you described. I thought you were suggesting something more harsh.

That said, I think "incompetence in the workplace" is a stronger phrase than I might use. Yeah, it was a pretty bad decision. Sometimes that happens. If he let a beanball war get out of control, that's what I'd consider incompetence.

First of all, I don't know how the system works for critiquing umpires after a game and giving them grades that bear on whether they get to ump in the postseason. I'm fine with any consequence of the type you described. I thought you were suggesting something more harsh.

That said, I think "incompetence in the workplace" is a stronger phrase than I might use. Yeah, it was a pretty bad decision. Sometimes that happens. If he let a beanball war get out of control, that's what I'd consider incompetence.

I'm satisfied with "incompetence in the workplace". I think he showed very poor judgement and let his actions significantly impact the series.

Would it have crushed his ego to have called the other umps together to seek other viewpoints?

I don't think any reasonable person thought Panda's slide would be a problem later on in the game. It was a nothing play, that nobody really gave much thought. After Ubaldo was ejected, every reasonable person's response was, "What? What the hell for?" It was only after the fact, where you had to comb through the previous part of the game to find something, that you could possibly defend the ejection. And if that's the case, the ejection was unreasonable. I shouldn't have to turn back to page 10 in the book, to understand what had just happened. It should be apparent. If it's not apparent to the average fan watching the game, the umpire made a mistake.

"Professionally embarrassing... You get some inexperienced guys up here because of replay."

Buck put it all out there. Said MLB should come out and say it was wrong.

IMO, what's professionally embarrassing is intentionally throwing at people. Ubaldo deserved the ejection. No questions asked. It's embarrassing to the sport that it's considered OK to plunk someone. You can't punch someone. Why is it OK to throw a 90 MPH rock at them? I'm glad an ump is finally taking a stand against intentional plunking.

And yes, I played baseball. That doesn't mean that something that has been generally accepted in the sport that can cause bodily harm, and SERIOUS bodily harm if you hit the right places should be allowed to continue.

Why should he? OK, we all feel he was too hasty in yanking Ubaldo from the game. There's really no reason to villify the guy. I'm not going to judge an umpire on one honest mistake in judgment. It's not like he acted like a jerk, or tossed a guy because he was overly sensitive about something that was said to him, or has a long history of making terrible calls. He was probably wrong in thinking Ubsldo threw at the guy intentionally, but making that mistake isn't the worst thing in the world, even though it sucked for us. Hopefully he learns from his mistake. I'm not holding any grudge against the guy.

What mistake did the ump make? I don't care what Ubaldo says, he CLEARLY intentionally hit the guy. He may not have meant to hit him as high as he did. But the plunking was intentional. And plunking needs to be removed from the sport. It's not a message. It's dangerous.

What mistake did the ump make? I don't care what Ubaldo says, he CLEARLY intentionally hit the guy. He may not have meant to hit him as high as he did. But the plunking was intentional. And plunking needs to be removed from the sport. It's not a message. It's dangerous.

How is it clearly intentional? Why did he throw two strikes first? Why would he put a guy on base in a one run game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. Nor should they be in the business of mind reading. As Baker was last night. It was obvious that a) the slide was not egregious, b) Ubaldo had command issues, c) he had 2 strikes on Panda, d) the catcher set up away, e) in a one run game it made no sense to put a runner on. Plenty of facts to understand the situation with, no need for mind reading.

All of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I obviously disagree with everything in this post. But you have the right to think this.

Archived