I hope Buck tries Lough as an everyday player

Spy Fox

Why?

Process of elimination:

Alejandro de Aza-- Not what I'd call a bad player, but he's mediocre on both sides of the ball

Delmon Young-- I suspect he'll continue to provide a solid batting average and not much more

Travis Snider-- Decent offensive upside, but mediocre with the glove

To me, Lough is the one of these 4th outfielder types with the best chance of being a good all-around contributor.

His bat might not look as good as Young's or Snider's..but with just about 600 MLB at bats, how well do we really know Lough's true talent at this level? His minor league track record is pretty good--better, I'll mention, than the current darling Paredes'. Last year it seemed like Lough started the year on a bad cold streak, then Buck lost faith in him and didn't give him very many opportunities the rest of the year even though he played pretty well in the second half. And of course, with the glove, we know he is miles better than any of the other players he would be taking innings from. And another obvious factor, he would add speed to a relatively unspeedy team.

If it were me, the most common lineup would include:

Lough LF

Pearce RF

Snider DH

At least for long enough to see how the 2015 version of David Lough can do with everyday at bats.

And with disappointing defense so far from LF/RF, but solid production from the offense overall, I say..why not?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be against moving DeAza into the 4th OFer role but I wonder if Lough isn't the roster casualty for Hardy.

I hope not, but I don't know who else would go. Given de Aza and Pearce's struggles, I'd love to see Lough get some playing time.

I'm guessing DeAza hasn't endeared himself with Buck with his recent play and idiotic CS attempt tonight.

Or, how about the fact he's now struck out 17 times mostly out of the lead off spot in the lineup and his OBP is abysmal.

Ugh....

I don't see Lough as the answer to our problems. However, he might be smart enough not to run into the 3rd out when he's already in scoring position.

Or, how about the fact he's now struck out 17 times mostly out of the lead off spot in the lineup and his OBP is abysmal.

Ugh....

I don't see Lough as the answer to our problems. However, he might be smart enough not to run into the 3rd out when he's already in scoring position.

Still early but that CS had to piss Buck off pretty bad. That's just stupid. I bet no De Aza tomorrow and a good chance we see Lough.

Still early but that CS had to piss Buck off pretty bad. That's just stupid. I bet no De Aza tomorrow and a good chance we see Lough.
At least De Aza was on the base paths. Though that CS truly was stupid, and it killed a rally. But I have serious doubts that Lough would have even gotten onto the base paths.

De Aza is just trying to put up big numbers in a contract year. Quite frankly I hope he does. But he hasn't so far. De Aza already has 16 K's this year. I wouldn't mind Lough seeing a few consecutive starts before Hardy comes back. Competition is a good thing.

On a side note, De Aza has 16 K's and 2 BB's. Cabrera has 12 and 2. That's 28 K's and 2 BB's from the leadoff hitters. With only 3 steals in 15 games. Something needs to change. Whether that's Lough or Reimold. The O's aren't getting good production for their salaries for De Aza, Norris, Matusz. Add Hardy and MW and that's like 40 million in payroll that we aren't getting zippy from.

I'd rather see Reimold than Lough. I don't understand the love for David Lough. He's a great defender and baserunner. But right now, isn't he batting .000?

In 5 at-bats.

Probably not needed, but to put in perspective just how short 5 AB's is, the red-hot Adam Jones is also currently 0 for his last 5.

Archived