Not signing Miler and Cruz is going to haunt this team and it's fans for years to come......

islandecho

Maybe the animosity stems from the way you articulated your argument. Calling others names isn't a good way to get people to listen to your argument. But please do ignore that part and act like the victim.

All dual account holders and small post total members will be censored if all they are doing is calling other folks who choose to participate here frequently any types of names. It doesn't have to be in the rules. It's how it is done here.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Evan Gattis has swung-and-missed 34% of the time in two-strike counts this year, leading <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> hitters (50 pitches min). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

">April 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is why we did not look to add him.

I would not have given JJ an extension (yes, I know that happened during the playoffs), and would have moved Manny to SS instead. I would have tried to trade Chris Davis and Brian Matusz and would have non-tendered them if they hadn't been traded. I would have signed Melky Cabrera and Adam LaRoche (both of whom are off to terrible starts for the White Sox). I would have let Nick go and tried to sign Cruz. I would have been tempted to sign Miller, but I suspect he wanted to pitch for the Yankees or on another big stage (some players want that).

There are lots of things I would have done differently than DD did, but I don't question his commitment to the team or his effort to improve it. In the long run, I hope his decisions were right and mine were wrong.

If some posters need to put others in categories and my take makes me a front office apologist, so be it. It's a game. I'm trying to have fun. And, as an O's fan since the late '50s, I'm glad we're contending again.

I like our guys.

Who plays 3B for your team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting data.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Batters who’ve swung-and-missed the most in 2015:

C. Davis (54)

G. Stanton (52)

J. Bruce (51)

G. Springer (50)

C. Carter (50)</p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Evan Gattis has swung-and-missed 34% of the time in two-strike counts this year, leading <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> hitters (50 pitches min). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>? Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

That is why we did not look to add him.

I thought we didn't look to add him because we already have enough DH types.

That wasn't the point.

I was just curious as to what you would have done there. I like the idea of moving Manny over there because I think 3B is easier to replace than SS. But I feel like the deal that they signed JJ to was a good one. The injury is concerning though.

I was just curious as to what you would have done there. I like the idea of moving Manny over there because I think 3B is easier to replace than SS. But I feel like the deal that they signed JJ to was a good one. The injury is concerning though.

Honestly, I don't remember what my thought was for 3B. As soon as they signed JJ I stopped thinking about it.

Many people would like to have the debate on what amount of payroll would be adequate to return the investors 5% annually and funnel the rest into product. We don't and can' know enough to put that in real terms and it is not realistic (There I used the word). No Major sports owner wants to be limited to the growth of valuation of his equity.

There was long ago a divide that occurred (when the Orioles were run poorly) by folks who wanted to pocket protest the team of their youth as adults by decrying the Angelos regime and withholding their financial support. That war, like the war between the states, is over. And we know which side won here as well.

I was one of the "pocket protesters." I stopped going to games and stopped buying Os merchandise. I don't really regret this, as I was disgusted at the way the team was run. One good thing Angelos did for me was to turn me into a rabid, PSL-owning season ticket holding Ravens fan. I sitll have my season tickets and I just renewed them for the coming year.

But when the Os started winning again, I came back, discovered OH and here I am with a 29 game season plan. I'm on the way out the door for today's game.

The argument boils down to that for you. There isn't even an argument there to most of us. I tend to agree that more money could be spent without the Orioles losing money. Ok, now what? Should we just discuss how they could spend more every hour of every day forever? Or should we move on to what they should do based on the budget that has been established? I just don't know what good it does to whine constantly that PGA should spend more money.

The frustrating part to people that like to deal in realities is that almost all the arguments for Cruz, Miller, and other great additions focus on just adding to payroll and ignoring the budget. What a pointless argument. No kidding they would make us better. If you want to actually have a reasonable debate, start with a 120M budget and tell me who you would have removed in order to add those players and make sure you look at forward years too. Not just 2015.

I realized this will be ignored as it always is and I will once again be labeled an apologist who doesn't care about winning. Carry on with mischaracterizing the argument as a simple issue over how much to spend.

I'm not into labeling anybody, especially over a disagreement on a baseball team. It bothers me that I have given my hard earned money to this organization and invested 44 years of emotional energy into this franchise when I realize that the owner is raking in profits and could spend more, still make money and give us a better chance to win. How could that not bother any true Orioles fan? It also bothers me that a lot of people on this board defend this behavior and say ownership and the general manager are being smart or prudent. That's hogwash, the GM wants to leave because the owner won't give him the resources to compete. That's not a good situation. DD and Buck have done an amazing job with the limited resources but they could do better with more. So, please don't tell me the Orioles are smart for not signing Miller and Cruz and prudent for not going after Kemp. The ownership is cheap and the GM and manager have done a great job being competitive with less resources then 3 out of 4 other teams in their division.

Honestly, I don't remember what my thought was for 3B. As soon as they signed JJ I stopped thinking about it.

I would have liked to sign Chase Headley. Solid defensive 3B with good offensive upside, younger than JJ and ended up signing a fairly reasonable contract.

I think the JJ contract is a good one though, so I'm not complaining about keeping him.

Archived