Asking For A Stats Guru Explanation

Old#5fan

Old#5fan is never quite so happy as when the Orioles lose.

That is the opposite of the truth (kindly stated ) I despise losing and even worse when hearing Hunter making these lame excuse about having to play Tampa in Tamia for home games!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone that owes a few of his infractions for comments to OldFan and thinks he can be insanely obtuse at time's, it seems there a lot of people in here trolling him and making a whole bunch of assumptions off of the OP.

Well founded assumptions if you ask me.

Hits are clearly not a great summary statistic of offensive performance.

But OPS is supposed to be a pretty good summary statistic. And when I checked tonight, the O's OPS was .770, compared to .722 for their opponents.

So why are we 3 games under .500? Can one lopsided game make that much difference to team OPS at this point of the season? Have we given up an insane number of unearned runs?

But OPS is supposed to be a pretty good summary statistic. And when I checked tonight, the O's OPS was .770, compared to .722 for their opponents.

So why are we 3 games under .500? Can one lopsided game make that much difference to team OPS at this point of the season? Have we given up an insane number of unearned runs?

Well. runs allowed are 0.20 runs per game above (i.e. worse than average) and runs scored are almost 0.5 runs per game above average. So OPS appears to correlate with run production. The last pythageron says we should be 2 games above .500 hundred instead of 2 games below. I suppose that big game factors into that but probably doesn't mean much of anything other than we need to be more consistent and improve on pitching/defense while not letting the offense fall off too much.

As someone that owes a few of his infractions for comments to OldFan and thinks he can be insanely obtuse at time's, it seems there a lot of people in here trolling him and making a whole bunch of assumptions off of the OP.

I like this question very much!!

Archived