HHP: MASN/Nats/Orioles case (Inside the Courtroom)

Frobby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, that's interesting. It's amazing that MLB has allowed this to drag on for more than a year.

Yeah, I check that site from time to time and I hadn't been there in awhile. Maybe the Nats can takeover the MASN 2 channel and the teams will have their own separate channels. Angelos knows how important this is.

Yeah, I check that site from time to time and I hadn't been there in awhile. Maybe the Nats can takeover the MASN 2 channel and the teams will have their own separate channels. Angelos knows how important this is.

Of course he does, that is why he is dragging his feet.

There are a couple of plausible explanations:

Xfinity pays MASN $14MM/month ($168MM Annually)

[\QUOTE]

Every 5 years they can change the numbers based on any market changes, right now DC is one top the top television markets and is being paid like a bottom 5 market.

Should they be paid based on their market size, or by the actual # of eyeballs watching the games? My impression is that the Nats have good attendance because the ballpark has become a place to see and be seen, but that the number of people who watch many of the 162 games on TV is not nearly as big as it should be in a market that size. Or did that change with their emergence as a contender last year? I know a couple years ago their ratings were incredibly miniscule.

I guess the logical question is how long are the Nationals bound to remain a part of MASN? I know the creation of MASN was to placate Angelos about the Nationals encroaching in his market but are they Nats bound to continue paying back Angelos forever?

The best case for the Nats and I would say the fairest possible outcome would be to have the Nationals have the freedom to sell their TV rights to whoever they want. I know its not the best outcome for the Orioles but it seems to be the most fair.

I guess the logical question is how long are the Nationals bound to remain a part of MASN? I know the creation of MASN was to placate Angelos about the Nationals encroaching in his market but are they Nats bound to continue paying back Angelos forever?

30 years, I believe.

The ownership deal with MASN is for thirty years, but I don't believe the Nationals are bound to stay with MASN. If they were, MLB wouldn't be talking with Fox Sports.

I thought the 30 year mark was when the Nats hit 33% in ownership of MASN? That's the year their increasing share of the network reaches it's fullest.

The ownership deal with MASN is for thirty years, but I don't believe the Nationals are bound to stay with MASN. If they were, MLB wouldn't be talking with Fox Sports.

It's forever. The ownership stake changes over time. Of course, the tv rights fees were not expected to jump the way they have. It could cost more than MASN receives in cable fees at some point.

Of course if Pete sells and the stipulation is O's get the same rights fees as the Nats, he makes out again. I think he got $75 M from MLB for the Nats "share" back when the network began. Now the network is worth more than is was in 2006.

It's forever. The ownership stake changes over time. Of course, the tv rights fees were not expected to jump the way they have. It could cost more than MASN receives in cable fees at some point.

Of course if Pete sells and the stipulation is O's get the same rights fees as the Nats, he makes out again. I think he got $75 M from MLB for the Nats "share" back when the network began. Now the network is worth more than is was in 2006.

Then go back to my post and explain if it's forever, why is MLB exploring other options?

:2yay-thumb:

Then go back to my post and explain if it's forever, why is MLB exploring other options?

I may have to go back and review some of the old articles. But I believe MLB is hoping it can resolve the dispute over rights fees due to the Nats by getting MASN to sell its rights to some other network that will pay market value, and then giving Peter Angelos some chunk of that payment. I'm simply speculating here. But I'm pretty sure that MASN has the Nats locked up for a very long time, though the Nats have the right to have the rights fees reset once every five years.

:2yay-thumb:

I may have to go back and review some of the old articles. But I believe MLB is hoping it can resolve the dispute over rights fees due to the Nats by getting MASN to sell its rights to some other network that will pay market value, and then giving Peter Angelos some chunk of that payment. I'm simply speculating here. But I'm pretty sure that MASN has the Nats locked up for a very long time, though the Nats have the right to have the rights fees reset once every five years.

What's in it for Angelos to hang on to MASN then? He would likely make a substantial profit on the sale of MASN and his team would have a lot more network revenue. And so this drags on for over a year because.....?

All the deal specifies is what the ownership percentages will be through year 20, and the equitable rights fees. MASN without the Nationals isn't worth nearly as much because of Washington's larger market share. Can the Orioles prohibit the viewing of the Nationals on a competing network? Angelos would likely litigate against it, which is what MLB sought to avoid by creating MASN. I think the other purpose of MASN was to add value to the Nationals when MLB was looking for a new owner.

However, even though MLB avoided the territory dispute by this shared business deal, in this area we can watch the Braves (TBS), Cubs (WGN), Yankees (YES) on the same cable systems that bring us MASN. Why should the Nationals be different if they went on their own if they went to FOX Sports? What is to keep the Nationals from walking away from their ownership share of MASN if another network made it worth their while? What if the Nationals wanted to put this to the legal test themselves with their owner's very deep pockets? Their argument would be what makes Baltimore-Washington different than NY, Chicago, L.A., and the S.F. bay area?

What's in it for Angelos to hang on to MASN then? He would likely make a substantial profit on the sale of MASN and his team would have a lot more network revenue. And so this drags on for over a year because.....?

All the deal specifies is what the ownership percentages will be through year 20, and the equitable rights fees. MASN without the Nationals isn't worth nearly as much because of Washington's larger market share. Can the Orioles prohibit the viewing of the Nationals on a competing network? Angelos would likely litigate against it. However, even though MLB avoided the territory dispute by this shared business deal, in this area we can watch the Braves (TBS), Cubs (WGN), Yankees (YES) on the same cable systems that bring us MASN. Why should the Nationals be different if they went on their own if they went to FOX Sports? What is to keep the Nationals from walking away from their ownership share of MASN if another network made it worth their while?

Peter Angelos would have been pretty stupid to sign a deal where the Nats could just walk away from MASN after a few years. And Angelos is not stupid.

I can't post a link from my iPhone, but pressboxonline.com reported on June 4 that MASN was granted TV rights for the Nats for 30 years, like I said. The article explains that MASN's cable fees are the lowest of all RSN's and MLB wants some other RSN to purchase a stake and infuse some cash that can be used to pay higher rights fees. This is very consistent with what I've said all along -- the problem here is that the Nats want market rates for their rights fees, but MASN is weaker than most RSN's and can't afford to pay market rates.

Archived