Cruz , Miller, Markakis, poll

El Gordo

Cruz, Miller, Marakakis, Other, yes or no  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Cruz, Miller, Marakakis, Other, yes or no

This poll is closed to new votes

I agree with these, but I have no idea if they matched up on a Smith or Byrd trade.
Byrd went for a MiL pitcher. I'm sure we had someone of like value we could have parted with. Don't know about Maurer, he's pretty good, young and cheap. Maybe someone like Wright.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton has three more years of arb. They could offer him a multi year deal or at least ago another year. I doubt he would get more than 7M in arb, and that's not all that bad for a top closer.

Ok. I couldn't tell exactly looking at Cot's. I know he has no options left but didn't know how long we controlled him yet.

All the better then than Miller! Zach might even approach $9 million by the end, but still way cheaper than Miller.

Ok. I couldn't tell exactly looking at Cot's. I know he has no options left but didn't know how long we controlled him yet.

All the better then than Miller! Zach might even approach $9 million by the end, but still way cheaper than Miller.

Or if he blows up above that, then let him go and next up.

He's making 3 something this year, and if he has a good year he'll probably ask something in that neighborhood. Top closers are getting 10M +.

He will still have under 4 years of service time. I doubt he will get a 120 percent raise. David Price got a 130 percent raise going into 2013, his second arbitration season after being a Super 2 and David Price won the Cy Young, was an All-Star for the third consecutive season, and finished 12th in the MVP voting in 2012. Britton has yet to even make an All-Star team. I think he will get a more standard 80 percent raise to a little under $6 milliom.

He's making 3 something this year, and if he has a good year he'll probably ask something in that neighborhood. Top closers are getting 10M +.

Ask 7. O's post 5. Settle at 6. The next year maybe end up at 8. So 3, 6, 8... 17 compared to Miller's 27. With another 9 owed to Miller after that.

If EITHER of them last that long...

Ask 7. O's post 5. Settle at 6. The next year maybe end up at 8. So 3, 6, 8... 17 compared to Miller's 27. With another 9 owed to Miller after that.

If EITHER of them last that long...

Whatever he's as good a bet as Miller IMO and cheaper and not necessarily locked in for more than one year at a time.

Whatever he's as good a bet as Miller IMO and cheaper and not necessarily locked in for more than one year at a time.

That's my point too. Miller is death right now on the mound! But Zach is pretty deadly too. And he's WAY cheaper. Miller was an unneeded luxury for us. Almost at any favorable price. And we have much more control over Zach. Not locked in, year by year.

Good thread idea to just let everybody vent about this topic one last time, then move on.

In my personal opinion, we should have signed Andrew Miller. However, I do absolutely trust the O's front office at the end of the day.

Markakis I considered pretty expendable. Even though he's one of my all-time favorite players, his production was becoming very replacement level-ish. And Cruz, while a tremendous hitter, did cost us some roster flexibility. Plus the O's are already very formidable at hitting the long ball, with or without Cruz.

I feel like Miller was a total game changer out of the 'pen. Even though, as people rightly say, we have Britton who is just as dominant, imagine having both Britton and Miller right now. And yes, I get that Miller wanted to close, but I can't imagine he wouldn't have gone to whoever offered him the best contract. Or, we could have flipped flopped Britton and Miller's roles to have Miller close and Britton be the dominant 8th inning guy.

Good thread idea to just let everybody vent about this topic one last time, then move on.

In my personal opinion, we should have signed Andrew Miller. However, I do absolutely trust the O's front office at the end of the day.

Markakis I considered pretty expendable. Even though he's one of my all-time favorite players, his production was becoming very replacement level-ish. And Cruz, while a tremendous hitter, did cost us some roster flexibility. Plus the O's are already very formidable at hitting the long ball, with or without Cruz.

I feel like Miller was a total game changer out of the 'pen. Even though, as people rightly say, we have Britton who is just as dominant, imagine having both Britton and Miller right now. And yes, I get that Miller wanted to close, but I can't imagine he wouldn't have gone to whoever offered him the best contract. Or, we could have flipped flopped Britton and Miller's roles to have Miller close and Britton be the dominant 8th inning guy.

The Astros offered Miller the best contract.

Guest rochester

IMO, Cruz should have been signed... risky? yes. I am not a believer in the Phils/Yanks money is the way to go philosophy but every once in awhile taking a chance on someone already here that likes it here and produces may be worth it, even if he is not worth the salary in year 4. In my opinion, we have a Free Agent exodus coming and do not think that we will be able to replace what we may lose in Free Agency because our payroll decreases. There is not enough out there and this is not the 14 losing seasons team when saving for the future is imperative and smart. If they had not made an offer I get it but there was a willingness to pay him a decent amount for three years. I understand all the WAR stuff but if he made us better for 2-3 years then the cost for year 4, IF he doesn't produce, is mitigated, especially if he is an important piece in winning.

IMO, Cruz should have been signed... risky? yes. I am not a believer in the Phils/Yanks money is the way to go philosophy but every once in awhile taking a chance on someone already here that likes it here and produces may be worth it, even if he is not worth the salary in year 4. In my opinion, we have a Free Agent exodus coming and do not think that we will be able to replace what we may lose in Free Agency because our payroll decreases. There is not enough out there and this is not the 14 losing seasons team when saving for the future is imperative and smart. If they had not made an offer I get it but there was a willingness to pay him a decent amount for three years. I understand all the WAR stuff but if he made us better for 2-3 years then the cost for year 4, IF he doesn't produce, is mitigated, especially if he is an important piece in winning.

Agree with alot of your points here. I'm not a big fan of WAR, and one of the reasons is because it penalizes DH's too much.

If you think he's Ortiz age 34, then maybe it's a good risk . Personally I don't think so. The 3 months last season where he disappeared and the fact that he has only played more than 128 G twice in his career give me pause.

Archived