vs. WHITE SOX, 5/28 (Game Two)

OFFNY

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Twilight Zone episode about baseball. Was not very good. Guy builds a robot ballplayer He strikes everyone out but other teams say he had to be human Scientist build a mechanical heart to make him human.After he gets a heart he can't get anyone out.He does not understand competition so he does not have the heart to get anyone out.

Yeah, that was the "Casey" episode about the Hoboken Zephyrs, managed by Jack Warden.

A very interesting (and gruesome) sidenote to that episode ......

On my Twilight Zone DVD of the first season, Rod Serling was giving an interview in 1973, and Serling stated that originally, Paul Douglas was originally cast to play the manager (Jack Warden's role.) But little did everyone know, Douglas was literally dying during the production of the episode. He was a heavy drinker, and was gasping for breath, rasping, and turning red while he was attempting to play his role. He died about one week later, after Warden had replaced him.

CBS refused to pay to re-shoot the episode, and Serling wound up having to pay almost $30,000 out of his own pocket to complete the show.

A very interesting (and gruesome) sidenote to that episode ......

On my Twilight Zone DVD of the first season, Rod Serling was giving an interview in 1973, and Serling stated that originally, Paul Douglas was originally cast to play the manager (Jack Warden's role.) But little did everyone know, Douglas was literally dying during the production of the episode. He was a heavy drinker, and was gasping for breath, rasping, and turning red while he was attempting to play his role. He died about one week later, after Warden had replaced him.

CBS refused to pay to re-shoot the episode, and Serling wound up having to pay almost $30,000 out of his own pocket to complete the show.

I thought I saw every episode of the Twilight Zone. I love that show.

But I can not remember that particular episode

Archived