vs. RED SOX, 6/09

OFFNY

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trusted O'Day plenty when he loaded the bases with no one out several games ago.

Explain why O'Day didn't start the 8th inning tonight. And why Buck has gone to Britton in the 8th inning yet again. Very unconventional in today's baseball for a closer. That's why I feel Buck is not comfortable with O'Day or anyone else for that matter.

Indeed. I was more focusing on the pitchers tonight, but for all of the analysis and expertise put into pitchers, it can be a real crapshoot as to which ones put it all together at the ML level. Matusz was supposed to be a #3 starter at worst?.ended up a loogy in his prime years.

And some of us have the gall to huff and snort on draft day when the front office selects guys who weren't high enough on ONE GUY's all-important list of players that we've never seen nor heard of.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I agree with those who say he probably needs to figure it out in Norfolk, however, they could bring also bring him up for a look when any of Baker, Tate, or Vespi reboard the shuttle. Maybe Povich had earned the call up, whereas they don't think McDermott has done that, but bringing him up as a temporary move couldn't hurt too much for the aforementioned pitchers.
    • Big not necessarily tall is what he is saying.....Basallo is much thicker build, which actually may be better for a catcher anyway. Pudge was not thin--even before roids.
    • With this current starting pitching as is, barring an epic collapse by the Yankees, the chances of us winning the division are very low. Right now, in just about every other series (the series that Burnes and Rodriguez don't start) we are at a talent disadvantage. We have the #1 offense in all of baseball - we have scored the most runs and hit the most home runs and have scored 8, 11, and 17 in the last 3 series and we are all of 4-6 in our last 10 games. It's hard to see us being favored against even a decent team like the Mariners (with our starting pitching as is) given the talent disadvantage in the two rotations. Now we that doesn't mean that we couldn't/wouldn't pull it out. But I doubt that we would be favorites as things are going. And then when you look at a team like the Phillies with their rotation/offense/bullpen or even the Dodgers for that matter, I believe that even if we made it that far, we would be heavy underdogs against either opponent. I don't like our chances of continuously having to rely upon "beating the odds" round after round (I didn't even mention NY if we were to meet them). This is year 3 of Adley, 2 for Gunnar, and possibly our only with Burnes. Without making significant trades or major FA acquisitions, I don't see any near future scenarios where things are better for us, we have more talent or frankly a better opportunity.  Pitching injuries are so significant and so frequent in MLB now, that future projections are hazy at best. Because it is likely that you have to make pitching additions/acquisitions EVERY YEAR in order to seriously compete. If we don't make upgrades/trades this year, when will we do it? And what will be promised to us more than it is now?
    • I was wondering if you thought Coby Mayo should be brought up Roy.  
    • Cano hasn’t achieved consistent movement with his fastball, which really requires run and sink to be effective.  He’s also been hanging too many change ups.  I big part of his turn around last year was dropping to more of a sidearm delivery and his stuff gets flat when he loses that delivery slot.    
    • We need both.  My goal would be two backend bullpen arms and one starter at the deadline.  
    • I'm sorry but who cares about his walk rate. We are using Bryan Baker. We are using Suarez as a starter. We are using Vespi. We are not in a position to nitpick the guy's walk rate.  For god's sake, call up someone who has some upside. It's not like he's going to do much worse than what we have right now. And he might just go nuts out of the bullpen. 
  • Popular Contributors