Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, it would be something like 5/$180 to also account for the arbitration years. But no, that would be way too much. 5/$120 is more reasonable but that still is a bit high. $30M per year over his free agent years is about right, and it is nice not to have to pay for his decline, but there would need to be a slight discount for guaranteeing the money two years in advance.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see your argument, but I still think any contract at $50MM per season is just an exercise in imaginary money...

Follow up question, then -- do you think the Yankees do something like this, given their horrible luck recently on long-term contracts?

Yes, 2019-2021, if I'm not mistaken.
You need to reword your Poll. It's confusing. Manny stands to make between 20-25 M for his last two arb years and between 35-40 M for his FA years, so 3 FA years at 40 M plus 25 M arb years is 145M, so yeah I guess he would take it.

Well, it would be something like 5/$180 to also account for the arbitration years. But no, that would be way too much. 5/$120 is more reasonable but that still is a bit high. $30M per year over his free agent years is about right, and it is nice not to have to pay for his decline, but there would need to be a slight discount for guaranteeing the money two years in advance.

I would like to see a team on the cusp go 1/40 or even 1/50 for someone like Trout/Harper.

How amusing would it be to watch someone like Harper sign a series of one year deals, jumping from team to team?

Follow up question, then -- do you think the Yankees do something like this, given their horrible luck recently on long-term contracts?

I think the Yankees want Harper.

I think Harper wants the Yankees.

I think they go Harper and one of the big ticket FA pitchers.

If this were his FA year, maybe, but that won't be the going rate in 2018.

But what about the arbitration years?

Besides if they're going to give him 50 million per year then they might as well sign him for 10 years. Either way I doubt that's happening. Look at it this way last year was his best year and he was "only" worth 54 million dollars.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

But what about the arbitration years?

Besides if they're going to give him 50 million per year then they might as well sign him for 10 years. Either way I doubt that's happening. Look at it this way last year was his best year and he was "only" worth 54 million dollars.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You think that was his career year at age 22? Besides one WAR will be worth more than 8 M in 2018.

Thanks for clarifying, MuprhDogg, didn't realize it would have to cover the next two seasons too. So yes, 5/180 would be what I was getting at.

My concern with a 10/300 deal is paying for decline, quite frankly. I'd rather give him half the money but $50mil AAV for 3 years where he's still south of 30 rather than having to pay him for several years of his 30s but lower AAV.

You're basically paying for 5 years in 3 if the 10 year option is 10/$300. So, we would need to decide if the additional 7 years for the price of 5 are worth it. Even in decline I can't see him not being worth 7/$150 in his late 20s / early 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for clarifying, MuprhDogg, didn't realize it would have to cover the next two seasons too. So yes, 5/180 would be what I was getting at.

My concern with a 10/300 deal is paying for decline, quite frankly. I'd rather give him half the money but $50mil AAV for 3 years where he's still south of 30 rather than having to pay him for several years of his 30s but lower AAV.

So 50 million a year? When no one has broken 28 million? Wha?

Archived