Its a big night for Bud Norris

wildcard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Norris pitched very well tonight. The sixth inning was full of bad breaks. Not only were there three defensive misplays (and partly his own fault), but the ump squeezed him on a couple of strike calls, and Pedroia hit a really good pitch for a two run single. My only real gripe was I thought he got rattled after that and didn't maintain his poise during the Ortiz at bat.

I thought Norris pitched very well tonight. The sixth inning was full of bad breaks. Not only were there three defensive misplays (and partly his own fault), but the ump squeezed him on a couple of strike calls, and Pedroia hit a really good pitch for a two run single. My only real gripe was I thought he got rattled after that and didn't maintain his poise during the Ortiz at bat.
Norris is at best a #5 SP If we had a true #1 then maybe we could carry him. But we don't. Tillman is our #5 this year. If we don't address this problem soon we won't make the playoffs.

My main problem with Norris's performance tonight is the following: he pitched 5 fantastic innings, then when there were some errors, a passed ball (not sure why it wasn't a wild pitch), and his own error: he simply blew up, giving up 5 runs, all unearned, but still 5 runs. When things are going badly, that's when a pitcher should bear down, not blow up.

My main problem with Norris's performance tonight is the following: he pitched 5 fantastic innings, then when there were some errors, a passed ball (not sure why it wasn't a wild pitch), and his own error: he simply blew up, giving up 5 runs, all unearned, but still 5 runs. When things are going badly, that's when a pitcher should bear down, not blow up.

Unfortunately, he's not that kind of pitcher. He doesn't have the switch to turn the emotion off.

He DID pitch well. But remember this. The pitcher is the only person who can control the game. He has the ball.

When Norris got into trouble some of it his doing, HE IS STILL IN CONTROL OF THE GAME.

Norris never seems to remember that when things start to spiral. The good pitchers know how to limit the damage. Norris cant seem to do it. Even Ubaldo can do it. DOD can do it, Britton too. Norris is one who cant seize control when things go wrong.

I don't buy it. Norris pitched many good games last year. I'm just looking for signs he's regaining his form. I saw significant progress tonight.

I'm no scout but I'm sure there take would be something like this. Norris is the type of pitcher that once teams see him multiple times they tee off on him. This was helped by Houston moving to the AL in 2013. He then made 21 starts in the AL West for a 3.93 ERA. Then after 37 starts with the O's he was around a 4.4 ERA. Now teams have seen him more frequently and he is getting rocked. He's not fooling anyone. The book is out in the AL and that is that.

I thought Bud pitched a really good game thru 5 innings. The 6th inning obviously "exploded" on him. The Ortiz dinger was especially troublesome. Bud left a fastball "centercut" over the plate. Ortiz goes to bed tonight "thanking the baseball gods" for that pitch from Norriss. Ortis, you are not that good. Norriss, you are not that bad. At least I hope not..

Archived