Mountcastle makes his debut

Fred Manfraud

"On Sunday Aberdeen beat Vermont 9-5 as outfielder Cedric Mullins went 3-5 with a single, double, triple and two RBIs. Ryan Mountcastle had two hits and two RBIs and Randolph Gassaway went 3-for-5. Aberdeen had 15 hits and went 7-for-13 with runners in scoring position."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/08/urrutia-and-clevenger-on-norfolks-strong-year-plus-other-os-and-minors-notes.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"On Sunday Aberdeen beat Vermont 9-5 as outfielder Cedric Mullins went 3-5 with a single, double, triple and two RBIs. Ryan Mountcastle had two hits and two RBIs and Randolph Gassaway went 3-for-5. Aberdeen had 15 hits and went 7-for-13 with runners in scoring position."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/08/urrutia-and-clevenger-on-norfolks-strong-year-plus-other-os-and-minors-notes.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Great to see that someone just out of HS is not only holding his own in short season A, but doing well. The Mountcastle pick is starting to remind me of the Sisco pick. At the time, it seemed many thought they were both reaches. However, both of them have hit right out of the gate and haven't let up. It'll be fun to track his progress.

Mountcastle struggled in his brief time in Aberdeen -- .206/.212/.303 in 33 PA. It will be interesting to see whether the O's promote him to Delmarva to start the 2016 season, or have him wait and play for the Ironbirds.

I imagine only an injury will keep him from starting the year with the Shorebirds next year.

Mountcastle struggled in his brief time in Aberdeen -- .206/.212/.303 in 33 PA. It will be interesting to see whether the O's promote him to Delmarva to start the 2016 season, or have him wait and play for the Ironbirds.

We'll see. Delmarva could get ugly but I imagine he'll start there, even if he finishes the year in Aberdeen.

He played yesterday. Good to see a forgotten man this year - Alex Murphy - starting to get back into form (better late than never) at Aberdeen.

Murphy and Heim got a little overlooked by OH'ers because of their injuries. But these were the other HS catchers drafted with Cisco in 2013. I think both guys are still in the top 20ish range, prospect wise.

Andujar could be the starter at Delmarva next year and they could put Mountcastle in a situation to succeed without giving him too many AB's if he's struggling. Delmarva is going to be a fun team to follow next year. They're going to inherit our most recent 1st rd picks and a great bullpen from Aberdeen.

Archived