This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

Yes, O'Day is certainly a very valuable piece. Still I'm fundamentally against big numbers/contracts to BP guys but I suppose it depends what O'Days number and years will be.

They won't be Miller prices.

IF you could sign him to a 3-4 year extension at 7-8 per, I'd do that. Yesterday. That guy has been our most important pitcher the last 4 years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather we spent the money on players with actual talent. DD spent alot of money on role players. It would have been better just to buy a 10 million dollar player and then have a guy making the minimum. So much wasted money this year.

De Aza

Young

W.Wright

E.Cabrera

Then guys that have way under performed.

Matusz

Hunter

Norris

While I agree with the general tone of your post, the problem is that there weren't a lot of good options. In fact, if you look at all the top position player signings, most of them have been busts so far.

1. Pablo Sandoval- Is hitting .266/.308/.388 is one of the most hitter friendly ballparks in baseball

2. Hanley Ramirez- Is having a good season with the Red Sox but is way too expensive for the Orioles tastes

3. Russell Martin- Appears to be a very good signing but the Orioles were already fine at Catcher with Wieters and Joseph

4. Nelson Cruz- Is having a great season with the Mariners but four years is too much for a 34 year old DH.

5. Chase Headley- Is having a poor season with the Yankees.

6. Nick Markakis- Is getting on-base at a good rate but his power has completely disappeared, has ZERO homers so FAR

7. Melky Cabrera- Is having a terrible year with the White Sox.

8. Billy Butler- Is having a bad year with the A's.

9. Adam LaRoche- Is hitting .225 with the White Sox and wouldn't be an upgrade over Davis at 1B or Paredes at DH

10. Jed Lowrie- Orioles already re-signed J.J. Hardy so there would have been no need for him.

11. Kendrys Morales- He's having a good year but the problem is he's exclusively a DH and Jimmy Paredes has offered similar production at a fraction of the price. The Orioles also don't seem to trust Paredes to play the outfield. He's played two innings out there despite all the junk players that has filtered through this season. There would be no room for Morales on this team.

12. Mike Morse- Has been terrible with the Marlins

13. Alex Rios- Is having a terrible year with the Royals

14. Torii Hunter- Still effective at age 39 but I think he always intended on going back to Minnesota

All of the good players were either too expensive (Hanley Ramirez), completely unnecessary (Martin, Lowrie) or signed for too many years (Cruz). The only player the Orioles might have missed out on is Kendrys Morales but again there would have been no room on this team because both Morales and Paredes are exclusive DH types. There really wasn't much out there in the FA pool last off-season.

Hanley Ramirez is having a good year?

Here I thought he was having a replacement level year.

I didn't realize how bad he was defensively until you mentioned it. So yeah, that would have been another DH type the Orioles don't need. The FA market for position players was extremely shallow last off-season. It was foolish to rely on the De Azas and Youngs of the world but there wasn't much out there to spend money on.

While I agree with the general tone of your post, the problem is that there weren't a lot of good options. In fact, if you look at all the top position player signings, most of them have been busts so far.

1. Pablo Sandoval- Is hitting .266/.308/.388 is one of the most hitter friendly ballparks in baseball

2. Hanley Ramirez- Is having a good season with the Red Sox but is way too expensive for the Orioles tastes

3. Russell Martin- Appears to be a very good signing but the Orioles were already fine at Catcher with Wieters and Joseph

4. Nelson Cruz- Is having a great season with the Mariners but four years is too much for a 34 year old DH.

5. Chase Headley- Is having a poor season with the Yankees.

6. Nick Markakis- Is getting on-base at a good rate but his power has completely disappeared, has ZERO homers so FAR

7. Melky Cabrera- Is having a terrible year with the White Sox.

8. Billy Butler- Is having a bad year with the A's.

9. Adam LaRoche- Is hitting .225 with the White Sox and wouldn't be an upgrade over Davis at 1B or Paredes at DH

10. Jed Lowrie- Orioles already re-signed J.J. Hardy so there would have been no need for him.

11. Kendrys Morales- He's having a good year but the problem is he's exclusively a DH and Jimmy Paredes has offered similar production at a fraction of the price. The Orioles also don't seem to trust Paredes to play the outfield. He's played two innings out there despite all the junk players that has filtered through this season. There would be no room for Morales on this team.

12. Mike Morse- Has been terrible with the Marlins

13. Alex Rios- Is having a terrible year with the Royals

14. Torii Hunter- Still effective at age 39 but I think he always intended on going back to Minnesota

All of the good players were either too expensive (Hanley Ramirez), completely unnecessary (Martin, Lowrie) or signed for too many years (Cruz). The only player the Orioles might have missed out on is Kendrys Morales but again there would have been no room on this team because both Morales and Paredes are exclusive DH types. There really wasn't much out there in the FA pool last off-season.

The best fit for the Orioles' needs was actually Justin Upton, and he's having an okay year.

Parmelee is batting .194 since his first 2 games. He plays everyday and it moves Davis to RF. Meanwhile our biggest offseason aquistion Snider gets erratic playing time. He has sat 3 times this month already vs a RHP. Buck pinch hits for Snider every time he can and Snider doesn't have crazy splits at all.

So a guy that wasn't productive enough to play on a second division club in the Twins the last 3 years is good enough to play game after game, but the guy who on some levels replaced Markakis doesn't get on the field regularly? Makes sense.

Parmelee is batting .194 since his first 2 games. He plays everyday and it moves Davis to RF. Meanwhile our biggest offseason aquistion Snider gets erratic playing time. He has sat 3 times this month already vs a RHP. Buck pinch hits for Snider every time he can and Snider doesn't have crazy splits at all.

So a guy that wasn't productive enough to play on a second division club in the Twins the last 3 years is good enough to play game after game, but the guy who on some levels replaced Markakis doesn't get on the field regularly? Makes sense.

I'm not seeing the value that Parm is providing over Snider. Hopefully this situation will change after the all-star break. I don't think Snider is a great player or anything but in a game like today's you need anything you can get to give you a spark. Snider may have been able to muster at least one hit, which could have manufactured a run.

Parm is not the answer. Anyone should be able to see that at this point. He beat up on bad Phillies pitching for a few days and has been very quiet at the plate since. Unimpressive.

Parmelee was crushing in the minors. And he crushed it for awhile after coming up with us. I find it hard to pick on one him when guys like Jones, Davis, Hardy aren't doing anything, either. And they're all starters.

The problem I have with Parmelee is he forces Davis to right field.

Parmelee was crushing in the minors. And he crushed it for awhile after coming up with us. I find it hard to pick on one him when guys like Jones, Davis, Hardy aren't doing anything, either. And they're all starters.

He has no track record at all and he plays every game and Davis goes to RF, meanwhile Snider never knows when he is going to play. I don't care what he did at AAAA, this is the majors. Why does he get more rope than a guy like Snider? It doesn't say much for the offseason does it?

He has no track record at all and he plays every game and Davis goes to RF, meanwhile Snider never knows when he is going to play. I don't care what he did at AAAA, this is the majors. Why does he get more rope than a guy like Snider? It doesn't say much for the offseason does it?

It doesn't say much for the offseason. But it's not like Snider has been tearing the cover off the ball. Or Davis.

It's called throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks, i.e. Paredes (worked), Pearce (worked), etc. Sometimes they don't work.

It doesn't say much for the offseason. But it's not like Snider has been tearing the cover off the ball. Or Davis.

It's called throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks, i.e. Paredes (worked), Pearce (worked), etc. Sometimes they don't work.

But when you throw the pasta against the wall and it doesn't stick, you take that piece, throw it in the trash, wait a minute and toss another piece.

You don't toss it at the wall, watch it slide down, then stare at it.

And we wonder why our offense has been so inconsistent. Pretty telling that Chris Parmelee is being put in every game.

Archived