This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

I am not even sure what that comment means. Would we be in first with Aoki who knows maybe he hits .350 for us and has a .400 OBP and plays all season. The entire point is in the off season if I was the GM and had a chance to sign a guy that has a three year track record of hitting around .300 and OBP near .350 and pay him 4 million for one season with a possible option or trade a prospect for a player that has done nothing most of his career and had one good half of a season and pay him 2 to 2.5 million it is a no brainer. Dan has made some great decisions that i didn't like and also some poor ones as well. This move probally doesn't make us a world series winner but it is also a move that should be questioned as well.

I 100% agree. The Orioles could have spent $4.7 million to fill 2 holes (leadoff hitter and corner outfield) but for some reason they didn't. Travis Snider brings nothing to the table and I'm not sure what they saw in him. He doesn't drive the ball, he isn't a threat offensively, he doesn't have good speed, and he is stiff with poor lateral movement in the outfield.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was far easier to justify when the payroll went up despite supposedly standing pat. Everyone would have loved to have bumped payroll a bunch, but that's just not happening. And again, the Orioles primary problem has been starting pitching. All offseason there were calls to trade starters since the O's had a surplus.

Supposedly stand pat??? Payroll went up b/c of arbitration, it isn't because they brought in new players to make the team better. Stop being an apologist and acknowledge that the Orioles more than likely missed out on a good opportunity.

The starting pitching hasn't been great but the offense has been terrible for 2 of the last 3 months

Aoki's numbers and power (any that he had) had declined for 3 years in a row, bottoming out at a .710 OPS last year. His defense had gone from plus to average or worse. He looked shaky in the playoffs last year and was taken out for defense. He was entering his age 33 season. Yeah, give me the crystal ball.

He signed a 1 year, $4.7 million contract. There would have been no downside to the Orioles signing him. His defense might not be great but would it be any worse than the platoon of corner outfielders on the roster now? Besides, I'm sure Camden Yards is a much easier outfield to play defense in than Kaufman Stadium

Seriously? Aoki vs. Snider? That was the make or break to our season? Good grief. I mean, come on. You do realize that this type of complaint is tantamount to an admission that the ball just hasn't bounced the Orioles' way thus far this season, don't you?

Seriously? Aoki vs. Snider? That was the make or break to our season? Good grief. I mean, come on. You do realize that this type of complaint is tantamount to an admission that the ball just hasn't bounced the Orioles' way thus far this season, don't you?

Some people can't deal with that.

All snark aside, if the Os miss the playoffs then I think DD definitely deserves criticism for not successfully upgrading the team. A lot of his moves have not panned out. Doesn't mean he deserves to be fired, but the results are the results.

Maybe it's not fair, but you should fire a GM who can't tell which .720 OPS guy is going to give us a .780 and which is going to give us a .680. (Please note sarcasm inherent in this post.)

We should have just kept our team together. How long was that thread about DD going to Toronto? We all knew that would be important, and it was. Duquette tried to be the smartest person in the room, and not bring back his cleanup hitter, stud reliever, and lead off man. Then his head and heart we're into Toronto for who know's how long. Then he came back and tried to throw together a team. That's the offseason narrative. If you want to disagree that's cool. But if the Toronto fiasco wasn't important then we wouldn't have all been so worried about it.

Toronto out and out screwed us over big time. MLB wasn't doing us any favors with the tampering because of the MASN dispute. So right now we're a franchise that's more worried about winning the MASN case than winning a WS.

Some here seem to be arguing that signing free agents in the off season is rarely successful. If that's the case, the only other way to improve is through your farm system and that doesn't bode well for this club either. That's depressing.

Aoki would have a lot more to offer this team than Travis Snider. Aoki adds speed, can play the corner outfield and can bat leadoff. If they had signed him and brought back Nelson Cruz the lineup would be much more rounded out.

Some here seem to be arguing that signing free agents in the off season is rarely successful. If that's the case' date=' the only other way to improve is through your farm system and that doesn't bode well for this club either. That's depressing.[/quote']

Or you can make trades, which is how we acquired a lot of the players who made a difference from 2012-2014.

Aoki would have a lot more to offer this team than Travis Snider. Aoki adds speed, can play the corner outfield and can bat leadoff. If they had signed him and brought back Nelson Cruz the lineup would be much more rounded out.

The-Stooges-missed-the-point.jpg

Archived