We Just Got Our #1 Starter

sfosfan

Just wanted to show a little appreciation for Ubaldo Jimenez who mlb.com shows as starting today's game. What an insane ride this has been on my couch watching his starts, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I love watching Ubaldo because he reminds me as a kid playing whiffle ball- his pitches move similarly, but that could be because the 120 inch screen makes it look that way. :D

I woke up this morning wondering what changes Buck might do, and I love this. Can't wait to see what happens in the second half. Tillman has been coming around of late, and with Jimenez and Chen pitching well I'm no longer so worried about the starters. On that note, I'm feeling like an umpire now as I can't wait to see the hitting. Batter Up! :2yay-thumb:

It's only been 3 days and I'm already getting baseball withdrawal. :eektf:

Of course my man Ubaldo is #1. Many people were quite surprised, but I started to see it during last season's clincher game. Wallace and Chiti had been drilling him during bullpen sessions. He came in to start and was giving up walks and hits and the fans were roundly booing him. But he faced the howling mob, remembered what Wallace and Chiti had drilled into him. He turned around and began retiring Blue Jays left and right, turning the boos into wild cheers. He ended up as the winning pitcher. With a few speed bumps during ST, he's been going up ever since. Now he is #1.

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

If that's our number one, I'd hate to see what our no. 5 looks like.

He has pitched well but not as well on the road.He does not go deep in games on the road. 11 starts,I know one he got thrown out of the game.He has been good but #1 starters go deeper in games

IP per start on the road: 3.2,5,4,4,6,5,6.2,5,5,7,4.2 Only 3 starts has he gone over five innings in 11 road starts.

OK, Ubaldo had a bad night tonight. It happens to any pitcher, including Clayton Kershaw, Sonny Gray, Madison Baumgarner, Max Scherzer, any of them. It's not quite time to boo Ubaldo off the mound just yet.

I never booed him last year. All I am saying is he is not a number 1 starter. He is pitching well this year and having a nice year. Orioles need him to keep going or the season is done He has been fine but the Orioles don't have a number 1 starter.Maybe at best 2 two's and many questions

OK, Ubaldo had a bad night tonight. It happens to any pitcher, including Clayton Kershaw, Sonny Gray, Madison Baumgarner, Max Scherzer, any of them. It's not quite time to boo Ubaldo off the mound just yet.

I agree. I didn't like this thread title, though, and Ubaldo really struggled with his breaking stuff tonight. Allowing a 3-run homer to Iglesias? Ouch!

I never booed him last year. All I am saying is he is not a number 1 starter. He is pitching well this year and having a nice year. Orioles need him to keep going or the season is done He has been fine but the Orioles don't have a number 1 starter.Maybe at best 2 two's and many questions
I didn't literally mean that anyone here at OH would boo him off the mound. I was making an obscure reference to a post I had made about a month or two ago.

The O's don't have a Max Scherzer, Madison Baumgarner, or anyone like these guys, I agree. I still believe that Ubaldo is still a work in progress. That's a huge adjustment from the past, not walking so many batters. It's taken him a full off-season for him to get command of the fastball. He now has command of the fastball. Now he's still got to work on consistent command of secondary pitches -- slider, splitter. And perhaps do what Wei-In Chen did, work on a changeup. I don't know if he'll ever be a #1 starter or not, but he'll get better with work.

If that's our number one, I'd hate to see what our no. 5 looks like.

Any chance someone can remove a few reputation points from my profile now? I deserve that at least. :)

Sorry Ubaldo, didn't meant to jinx you like that!

I agree. I didn't like this thread title, though, and Ubaldo really struggled with his breaking stuff tonight. Allowing a 3-run homer to Iglesias? Ouch!

Bit it did arouse your interest, no? Ubaldo still deserves some more love I think, and that was my intent. Yesterday maybe not, but I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Bit it did arouse your interest, no? Ubaldo still deserves some more love I think, and that was my intent. Yesterday maybe not, but I'm hoping it was just a fluke.
Aw geez, Ubaldo just had one of those nights. However, Ubaldo still needs to work on his breaking stuff. I'm sure that Ramon M. will get on his case about that. :thumbsup1:

It just occurred to me. Ubaldo was so awful last year. Then this year, he started so much better. I think that many of us thought that he should suddenly be like Max Scherzer. That's not going to happen, at least not right away. But you know, even Scherzer has his rough days.

Aw geez, Ubaldo just had one of those nights. However, Ubaldo still needs to work on his breaking stuff. I'm sure that Ramon M. will get on his case about that. :thumbsup1:

It just occurred to me. Ubaldo was so awful last year. Then this year, he started so much better. I think that many of us thought that he should suddenly be like Max Scherzer. That's not going to happen, at least not right away. But you know, even Scherzer has his rough days.

I guess someone junxed him or if you looked at the stats ,he was not great.

Archived