Terrible plate discipline

Ori-Al

There's a simple explanation for why the Orioles are stinking to high heaven with runners in scoring position. It's terrible plate discipline. Instead of forcing pitchers to throw strikes, too many of our hitters are swinging at pitches nowhere near the strike zone, and getting themselves out. Eight for their last 93 with runners in scoring position probably wouldn't be possible if some in hitters weren't saving pitchers from themselves.

So when they were hitting 317 they were taking pitches and grinding out good at bats?

I recall them doing pretty much the same thing they are doing now, just that the results were much better.

Hitting a round ball with a round bat is hard. Sometimes you get a pitch you can square up and you miss it. Doesn't matter, that is probably the only pitch like that you'll get that AB. There was a situation today when Schoop was up and it was a no brainer the first pitch would be a fast ball for a strike. Schoop guessed right but missed it. It wasn't that he shouldn't have swung at it. It was the right pitch, he just blew it.

So when they were hitting 317 they were taking pitches and grinding out good at bats?

I recall them doing pretty much the same thing they are doing now, just that the results were much better.

I think they clearly are pressing. They are never a patient team, but right now you can feel that they're trying to do too much.

I think they clearly are pressing. They are never a patient team, but right now you can feel that they're trying to do too much.

Or it could be observational bias. We as fans are stressed out about them hitting with RISP so we are actively looking for evidence to explain their struggles.

Or it could be observational bias. We as fans are stressed out about them hitting with RISP so we are actively looking for evidence to explain their struggles.

Maybe you're right....maybe you don't want to accept the most likely answer for their inability to perform like the team that wore those uniforms last month. I had the radio on last night while I was washing the car...O's are down 3-1, they load the bases with no outs...exactly the kind of disciplined rally that we all want to see...then 2 (two)! pitches later there are 2 outs and we get one run. Very lucky that the Parmalee 1 pitch AB didn't result in an inning ending double play. The disgust in Joe Angel's call when the 3rd out was made a few moments later was very telling. These guys are pressing and they're not going up to the plate with a plan. Who is calling them out for it? Adam - the team leader and number one presser? Buck?

Maybe you're right....maybe you don't want to accept the most likely answer for their inability to perform like the team that wore those uniforms last month. I had the radio on last night while I was washing the car...O's are down 3-1, they load the bases with no outs...exactly the kind of disciplined rally that we all want to see...then 2 (two)! pitches later there are 2 outs and we get one run. Very lucky that the Parmalee 1 pitch AB didn't result in an inning ending double play. The disgust in Joe Angel's call when the 3rd out was made a few moments later was very telling. These guys are pressing and they're not going up to the plate with a plan. Who is calling them out for it? Adam - the team leader and number one presser? Buck?

Schoop swung at a very hittable pitch. Do we want him to take that pitch? Do we want him to act like I did in little league and stand there with the bat on his shoulder hoping for a walk?

I refuse to provide an excuse for Parmelee.

This team desperately needs to add some OBP to the lineup. Every game the other team's SP is at 70 pitches in the 6th inning. Our half innings go by so fast. They need to scrap the platoon and go with Reimold and Pearce over Snider/Parm for a week and see what happens. I'd bat one of them 1st and Machado 2nd and hope they'd be selective enough to hit good pitches.

Yeah, the issue isn't the approach per se. The offense isn't constructed around OBP, but it has a track record of success. I think the difference this year is that the outfield outside of Jones has been a black hole. I don't mean to bring up the specters of Nick or Nelson, but those two coming up in a situation is a bit different than Parmalee, Lough, Snider, Young, De Aza, or Pearce this year. The only non-Jones non-black hole is Davis kinda...which says something. In theory some combination of those guys should have worked, but they haven't.

Yeah, the issue isn't the approach per se. The offense isn't constructed around OBP, but it has a track record of success. I think the difference this year is that the outfield outside of Jones has been a black hole. I don't mean to bring up the specters of Nick or Nelson, but those two coming up in a situation is a bit different than Parmalee, Lough, Snider, Young, De Aza, or Pearce this year. The only non-Jones non-black hole is Davis kinda...which says something. In theory some combination of those guys should have worked, but they haven't.

ADD to that Norris , Pearce, and Tillman tanking and you just spelled disaster.

Too many holes this year they are what they are a nice .500 club.

Archived