Orioles are considering selling, per Morosi

paulcoates

They are not in the race and they would lose the QO. Makes no sense to me.

Apparently lives in Atlanta, also attended Georgia Tech. Only makes sense if they plan to sign him to an extension I guess.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good rumors here, can't believe it.

Davis to Pirates and MW to Atlanta is textbook.

Pirates have excellent pitching prospects.

We need to make sure teams get in a bidding war! Davis' bat can win someone the championship,

DOD is valuable as well, as possibly is Jimenez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is giving up anything of value for Jimenez. We'd be way better off keeping him for the next 2 years.

They are not in the race and they would lose the QO. Makes no sense to me.

Wieters to the Braves would not be too surprising if the O's decide to sell. Roch has alluded to the likelihood that Wieters will wind up with the Braves next year anyway. If the Braves trade for him, they don't have to give up the draft pick to get him after the season, which increases what they'd be willing to give up for him now.

Good rumors here, can't believe it.

Davis to Pirates and MW to Atlanta is textbook.

Pirates have excellent pitching prospects.

We need to make sure teams get in a bidding war! Davis' bat can win someone the championship,

DOD is valuable as well, as possibly is Jimenez.

Please explain why Atlanta would want Wieters?

They are five games under 500 and 6.5 back in the WC.

Why would they give comp pick level return for Wieters?

Wieters to the Braves would not be too surprising if the O's decide to sell. Roch has alluded to the likelihood that Wieters will wind up with the Braves next year anyway. If the Braves trade for him, they don't have to give up the draft pick to get him after the season, which increases what they'd be willing to give up for him now.

That makes some sense but would be a huge risk for them to take even if they have already been tampering.

Just now catching up with thread. I'm seeing a lot of denial about where the team is and if it's time to sell (if that's what gets max value for our departing players).

Let's break it down this way: can we make the playoffs this year? Well, during the last 5 seasons, the lowest amount of wins that has secured a wild card is 88... KC last year. Usually it's in the low 90s, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and best case scenario, and say 88 wins gets the Wild Card again.

Coming into tonight the Orioles are 44-46 with 90 games played. 72 games remain.

To win 88, the Orioles have to go 44-28 (a .611 winning percentage) the rest of the way starting tonight in Tampa. And that's assuming that 88 wins will get it done (this year, that may be a bit optimistic).

So to simplify things, when you're weighing this for yourself, ask yourself if you see this team pulling that off. As currently constructed, or even with a realistic personnel addition if we buy for some reason. That's really the question that determines if you surrender 2015 or not.

Ed Encina

Executive vice president Dan Duquette said Wednesday that the team would be buyers at the deadline. A high-ranking club official said Friday that rumors of the Orioles considering going into sell mode are nothing more than “gossip,” emphasizing that the club remains focused on improving to make a playoff push this season.

Just now catching up with thread. I'm seeing a lot of denial about where the team is and if it's time to sell (if that's what gets max value for our departing players).

Let's break it down this way: can we make the playoffs this year? Well, during the last 5 seasons, the lowest amount of wins that has secured a wild card is 88... KC last year. Usually it's in the low 90s, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and best case scenario, and say 88 wins gets the Wild Card again.

Coming into tonight the Orioles are 44-46 with 90 games played. 72 games remain.

To win 88, the Orioles have to go 44-28 (a .611 winning percentage) the rest of the way starting tonight in Tampa. And that's assuming that 88 wins will get it done (this year, that may be a bit optimistic).

So to simplify things, when you're weighing this for yourself, ask yourself if you see this team pulling that off. As currently constructed, or even with a realistic personnel addition if we buy for some reason. That's really the question that determines if you surrender 2015 or not.

Maybe denial about whether they should sell. Certainly the team denies that they will.

Please explain why Atlanta would want Wieters?

They are five games under 500 and 6.5 back in the WC.

Why would they give comp pick level return for Wieters?

Why did they sign Markakis?

Wieters has a home there, went to school there and he has been linked there. If you watch the games, Gary Thorne even said it was his most likely destination in free agency.

Archived