Orioles are considering selling, per Morosi

paulcoates

I understand that, but he's not going to be outlandishly expensive just yet. Next year is crucial to keeping this thing going and you don't want to lose him along with Davis, Wieters, Chen and especially O'Day (and with the bullpen in general being in such flux). Maybe next year you can explore trade possibilities, but you need that stability at the end of the bullpen in 2016.

How much do you have him making next year? Should the Orioles be paying a closer a step down from "outlandishly expensive"? That doesn't seem like the standard for this team. Even plain "expensive" seems too rich for our blood, and probably not the best allocation of resources on our payroll.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much do you have him making next year? Should the Orioles be paying a closer a step down from "outlandishly expensive"? That doesn't seem like the standard for this team. Even plain "expensive" seems too rich for our blood' date=' and probably not the best allocation of resources on our payroll.[/quote']

He's probably going to end up about where Johnson did, ~6.5.

Maybe Bundy is a potential closer for 2017.

Except he's a free agent this year if he's not on the major league roster. And right now he can't pitch at all. I suppose he can be stashed on the DL but then what? A rehab assignment for someone who hasn't pitched in a year and a half and barely above AA competition?

He needs to be a potential pitcher before being a potential closer.

Kenny (who tops out at 5'3") Rosenthal's mini-me Morosi...

I don't get this. Why the childish insult? Who cares what he "tops out" at? He's a reporter, not a player. If you think Rosenthal is a bad reporter, then say he's a bad reporter. His height has nothing to do with this, and you invoking it makes you look like a schoolyard bully. It's classless and small.

Except he's a free agent this year if he's not on the major league roster. And right now he can't pitch at all. I suppose he can be stashed on the DL but then what? A rehab assignment for someone who hasn't pitched in a year and a half and barely above AA competition?

He needs to be a potential pitcher before being a potential closer.

How would he be a free agent? If he were to get DFA, someone like Philly claims him. And then if he does clear waivers, he gets sent to the minors. Only way he is a free agent is if he is outright released.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

How would he be a free agent? If he were to get DFA, someone like Philly claims him. And then if he does clear waivers, he gets sent to the minors. Only way he is a free agent is if he is outright released.

He is out of options. He would have to agree to a minor league deal like someone like Chaz Roe did.

In general. The first time you clear waivers as a DFA you have to accept the assignment and go to the minors with said team.

At the end of the day I just think Bundy will either be in the pen or on the DL next year.

This situation is becoming eerily similar to 2005 when the Os went in a slide before the trade deadline that left the Os out of contention and our FO unprepared to sell. This front office has had the pedal to the metal for three seasons and quotes from the warehouse make the front office sound very much out of touch with reality. This is a team that is below .500 with about a 10% chance of making the playoffs. Those chances are not good. Unfortunately, our FO has been preparing for a long season, attempting to build depth and juggle the roster, and it may be too difficult for those guys to realize the gig is up in July - see the forest through the trees.

It is time to sell and thankfully it appears to be a seller market. I think we should be looking at offers for most of the 25 man roster, but I think we will receive more than credible offers for Chen, O'Day and Wieters and possibly Davis. If we can bring back a couple of organizational top fives (that include a couple BA Top 100s) and another handful of organizational top 10-15 guys, we would have a solid base of talent to join Machado, Jones, Tillman, Gausman, Britton and others.

Now is not the time for the organization to ponder trading Gausman and possibly supplemental draft picks. It is retreat time now and, with some clever trades, hopefully we can be a legit contender sooner than many here think.

At the end of the day I just think Bundy will either be in the pen or on the DL next year.

Our bullpen is going to be really inexpensive with a ton of upside next year. It would be nice to keep O'day around to provide stability. If not we're looking at Britton, Brach, Roe, Bundy, Givens, Wright, Macfarland. With a bunch of names in the mix.

Archived