Orioles are considering selling, per Morosi

paulcoates

It seems very unlikely that the O's will become sellers at the July 31st deadline for two reasons.

1) Peter Angelos would have to authorize Dan to sell and Peter does not give up that easy nor make decisions that fast. He will consider his obligation to the season ticket holders to put a major league team on the field for the rest of the season.

2) The O's have five games at home before the deadline. And the O's play very well at home. It will be hard for the O's management to sell if the O's are winning at the deadline.

That's the way I see it at this point.

As always, good analysis. Particularly about the speed of things. That is an excellent point.

However, I think we might be beyond that. I think PA will grant DD and Buck room to do what they think is best.

Bottom line-this is really a big opportunity for our franchise. We can help our farm system and still not completely give up home on the season. I don't expect to get a playoff spot after trading away Chen and Davis, but stranger things have happened.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should definitely deal Pierce He is replaceable on the team. And he has value to other people because he can play multiple positions

Maybe you could have moved him in the offseason. But he's a buck guy that I dont think has much value outside of our club. He looks more like a AAAA player that learned how to hit a fastball and then failed to adapt once pitchers made adjustments on him.

They have sold under Angelos before.

Anyway there have been no talks of some huge sell off, the names I have seen are folks that are not under contract past this season anyway (+ Britton).

Bedard and Tejada were traded in the winter when MacPhail had plenty of time to talk Peter into the deals. Koji was a setup man at the time of the trade. Which is not near has important as trading Wieters, Davis or Chen. It was not looked at as betraying the fan base.

Britton is not being traded by the O's this year.

And they should definitely try to trade anybody they're not going to make qualifying offer to. Makes little sense to keep them around otherwise.

Yes, this. Especially Hunter, Norris, O'Day. If there is one thing we do seem to have in the pipeline it is adequate relief pitchers.

Bedard and Tejada were traded in the winter when MacPhail had plenty of time to talk Peter into the deals. Koji was a setup man at the time of the trade. Which is not near has important as trading Wieters, Davis or Chen. It was not looked at as betraying the fan base.

Britton is not being traded by the O's this year.

I don't think so either but, in the interest of full disclose, some folks have been mentioning his name here.

I don't think so either but, in the interest of full disclose, some folks have been mentioning his name here.

I brought him up in this thread because I think he can give us a bigger return and I don't see him here in 2017.

PA sold a crying Surhoff mid season. Bordick too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought him up in this thread because I think he can give us a bigger return and I don't see him here in 2017.

PA sold a crying Surhoff mid season. Bordick too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was in charge I, of course, would field calls on Britton.

Hisashi Iwakuma is an interesting name if the Orioles do in fact buy, or even this offseason as he is a free agent. Definitely a guy that would be a great add to the rotation and likely wouldn't cost as much as the other TOR arms either in trade or free agency.

If I was in charge I, of course, would field calls on Britton.
I'm with you, CoC. If someone is willing to make you a good offer, you've got to listen.

Are you suggesting that Duquette doesn't? What, they start talking Britton and he yells at them and hangs up? I don't understand why there's a constant undercurrent here that the GM simply won't listen to some subset of offers, and he's stupid for hypothetically doing this.

Archived